This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it time to up the ante on storytelling?

#61mtjormitchPosted 7/9/2011 4:08:06 PM
kungfuj0 posted...
Its been a while since I did the part with Howe in it, but if I remember right, Howe, himself, was the foreshadowing. it wasn't what he said, but rather how he said it. He just had one of those "don't trust me or you'll regret it" voices or something. Either way, I had a bad feelign about him from the moment I met him.

That is part of the problem these days though. People want things to be put out there straight foward instead of having some subtile hints and then being able to draw their own conclusions. I didn't know what Howe was going to do based on the first conversations with him, but I knew he was not to be trusted, and it turned out that I was right. Sometimes, this kind of thing isn't going to be spoonfed to you, and I actually prefer it that way.

Finally someone noticed it! Heck, if you wish Howe luck on his mission, he'll go, in a suspicous manner, "Really? Thanks... you really shouldn't have..." It was obvious that the guy was having guild trips because of his body movement and the way his eyes turned on that last line.
---
People need to realize that games are art. seroiusly, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#62SquallWindblade(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2011 4:16:15 PM
Scoter81 posted...
I don't really get what your topic is about.

Do I appreciate a good story in a game? Of course! Gaming is just as powerful and succesful as a medium for good storytelling as movies, books or anything else.

There are also games that still stick with me, Braid (as you brought up) is one of them. However, did they change my core beliefs? No and I don't expect that from any movie or book either.

That's not to say it can't happen or that I'm afraid of change. I'm quite open to it, it's just a silly expectation to have. Things don't have to be 'life-altering,' to be good.

It's about evolving the storytelling in video games to reach a higher level, one that fits the purpose of storytelling in modern civilization. We have stories that entertain, and I think we can all agree that video games have really nailed down entertainment, I mean, we're at GameFAQs, but there are other kinds of stories.

There are stories that illustrate morality, philosophy, stories for education and public awareness, and there are stories that do nothing more than to paint you a picture of an event in a light that you hadn't looked at it in before, which gaming has barely tried to do outside of some fantastical WW2 shooters.

Creating a game is much more than just creating a set of rules by which your player must abide - there is a potential for creating a strong message in that medium, especially with the level of engagement that a game builds.
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
#63zeuscatPosted 7/9/2011 4:37:19 PM
I love a good story in a video game, but I dont ask for much because story in games vs rest if the media has to be different.

Books, the consumer just reads. thats it. the occasional putting the book down to think or imagine a good scene, but thats it.

Movies, well the consumer just watches it. thats it. hardly reads anything and only watches and listens to the events. This is a more specific medium as most times your imagination isnt needed unless you dont explain a back story or ending.

Games, well consumers buy them to play and have fun. A story is just the set up to the gameplay in a way, or at least this is how it started out. Its like an interactive movie, but the player is actually working through the story instead of sitting back and taking everything in. Its easy to explain a story in 1.5 - 2 hours but Games need to be longer. Playing a game for 1.5 hours wont give you the same satisfaction as watching a movie or reading a book. The satisfaction is in the gameplay.

I really hope this changes because I love stories. Over the top, realistic, meaningful, futuristic, medieval, you name it I love them! I still think Final Fantasy IV was one of the best stories in a game. It had so much to offer, tons of character development and HOURS of gameplay.

If someone can pull off the "Lost" story style in a game, I will be sold instantly! I like twists, turns and constant questions but it has to be done right. if I dont care about the questions then chances are I am only enjoying the gameplay.....or nothing
---
Still a Vancouver Canucks fan.
Anit-Riot
#64SquallWindblade(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2011 4:44:09 PM
zeuscat posted...
If someone can pull off the "Lost" story style in a game, I will be sold instantly! I like twists, turns and constant questions but it has to be done right. if I dont care about the questions then chances are I am only enjoying the gameplay.....or nothing

I'm glad you brought up Lost, because I was thinking about episodic games the other day when I was looking at some of Steam's amazing Summer Sales.

Anyways, episodic games tend to sell really poorly. People don't want to pay for episodes 1-21 just to play what they feel is one complete game, but when you put all of the episodes into a single game, people still won't buy it because they say it feels choppy or incomplete.

TV serials like Lost, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc. are what I would consider to be the pinnacle of great storytelling if only because they provide so much information about the fictional worlds they take place in that you feel like you actually know the characters and you will miss them when the show is over/inevitably cancelled by the Spawn of the Beast known as Fox who didn't know what they had when they had it and deserve to be burned to the ground. I would love to see them replicate the lore level with smoother transitions between the episodes.
---
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
#65zeuscatPosted 7/9/2011 4:58:23 PM
oh totally forgot to add this movie. Momento, if a game used the same story telling technique it could make for an awesome story driven, dare I say, Survival Horror game?
---
Still a Vancouver Canucks fan.
Anit-Riot
#66kingsteve1515Posted 7/9/2011 5:20:37 PM
I like how the run n gun fanbois throw out extreme examples like "20 minute cutscenes for every 15 minutes of gameplay" or "don't ruin my game to fit a story in". Story ENHANCES gameplay. The best games tell the stories THROUGH the game and it only makes the game better. Mass Effect without a story is just a bunch of random exploring of template planets. Who would give a ****? Stories and universes make games what they are.
---
GT: edgehead2008, PSN: ThinBlueLine8008
#67SquallWindblade(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2011 5:26:08 PM
I have to admit, MGS does have a cutscene addiction, which is why I don't consider it in my topic. It's a good story, but did it have to throw away so much potential gameplay for it?

I did an experiment once, where I let the VOs go and all of the cutscenes play on MGS2, and then after that, I went back through the game and skipped everything that was skippable.

My timer went from 11 hours to 4 hours. No joke. That is an unacceptable ratio. That experiment made me dread playing MGS games from then on, and it completely ruined them for me.

I don't want to see hours of cutscenes to play a game, but I don't mind getting to participate in NPC conversations and shape the world. I think that's why I can tolerate Mass Effect's hours of dialogue over MGS' hours of dialogue.
---