This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just watched this video. When are game going to be considered art?

#21elkamaleon21Posted 7/9/2011 7:33:09 PM(edited)
The source code for any game alone is art, not to mention the hardware it plays through, the box art it's packaged with, the art on the disc, and the development (visual and literary art) of a manual.

Pong is art. As games became more and more complex, the visual nature of the medium superseded what was already art long ago. That's not to say that the visual aesthetics of a game aren't as well, they very much are, but there's a number of mediums that come together to create the game you download or place into your drive.

On a side note, while it is without question that there are certainly high quality, artistically driven Hollywood films (all films enjoy the same status as video games, once it's created, it's art), the most artistically valued and valuable films are usually as far from Hollywood as humanly possible (and when these jaw dropping films are recognized and fueled by the Hollywood system, they usually flop because there aren't enough explosions or mammaries).

The next time a child in your family draws a picture for you, take a second and enjoy the artistic creativity that that child's mind processed in order to draw it for you. Art is really an awe-inspiring thing if you know when and where to look for it and appreciate it.

People who say video games are not art don't actually believe that. What they're saying is that they don't appreciate video games for the art that they are. That's all.
---
360 tag: Remy 2x (message me for an add and we will kill things) ; If you're not on Raptr you haven't heard of it. Go make a profile and add me (Remy2x there).
#22mtjormitchPosted 7/9/2011 8:01:11 PM
Honestly, video games are a more worthy art form than movies ever have been IMO. One that actually knows what it is doing, how it is doing it, and handles things pretty damn maturely, can't say the same for the current way movies are being made anymore though. Movies are not made to be good anymore, videogames are however. (this year we have had so many greats, with movies... we got super 8, that's about it in terms of actual movies that are worthwhile.)

Yeah, I'll get trolled for that, but come on, if a industry like the movie industry is considered better for just it's age alone. not the content they produce, then videogames far surpass the movie industry in almost all ways.
---
People need to realize that games are art. seroiusly, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#23Fierce_Deity_08Posted 7/9/2011 8:49:23 PM
The first thing I said when I fired up Final Fantasy 13 for the very first time today was "Ooh, pretty!" I always loved these games starting with FFX for how beautiful they are. Even FFIX was cool looking. Games are art to me!
---
Official Neophyte of the Distinguished Order of Pokemon Veterans
With a roar of thunder and crash of lightning, I am Fierce Deity!