This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what are your top 3 games this gen for having a good story.

#51J90074Posted 7/9/2011 8:36:27 AM
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect
Alpha Protocol
---
gt= havikzero
SSBB FC:0989-1407-2689
#52mtjormitchPosted 7/9/2011 11:06:46 AM
fleshnbone2000 posted...
rofl anyone who's mentioning portal 1 or 2 seriously need to take a college english class on the art of writing a good story...portal 1 had no story at all and portal 2 was basically 95% 2 robots bickering about not knowing what they are talking about half the time..now for my list

3. RDR
2. GTA IV
1. Mass Effect 2

And yet comic books with superheros who have to stop WW3 is famous, while movies like that one where harrison ford is an adventurer around the globe, fighting germans along the way to find mystical items. While with books you've got many of the same stories. also, all romance books are crap. I said it.

Saying portal 1 and 2 have bad writing is like saying air is bad because you need to breathe it. Makes no sense and is otherwise a very dumb statement to make.
---
People need to realize that games are art. seroiusly, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#53Gigant0pithecusPosted 7/9/2011 11:23:31 AM
I'm not too big on stories in games. But if I had to list my top three:

1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. GTA IV
3. King Kong: Official game of the movie (or whatever the title is)
#54pothocketPosted 7/9/2011 11:38:49 AM
rofl anyone who's mentioning portal 1 or 2 seriously need to take a college english class on the art of writing a good story...portal 1 had no story at all and portal 2 was basically 95% 2 robots bickering about not knowing what they are talking about half the time..now for my list

Portal spoilers

This is ironic because college English classes will someday use the Portal series as examples of how to tell a story within an interactive medium. Until then, allow me to begin your education here and now. Portal is a first person game, and so is the plot. Being first person, the story takes place in the player's own head as they think about the information as it's presented to them. The entire narrative is like this but let's just briefly talk about the GlaDOS' story arc for now and how the player experiences it as they play through the game.

Act 1 - introduction - Tests 01-12: The player wonders if the voice is a recording or an AI.

Act 2 - growth - Test 13-19: The player is sure it's an AI now and thinks about how she promises cake but hints at death.

Act 3 - confrontation - escaped from testing: Yep, she is definitely trying to kill you!

And that's just the bare bones of the main story arc that the player is thinking about. Not even going to get into the dozens of other story elements and plot devices used, but just think about everything in the first room - 00 - that the player can notice that pays off later. There's GaDOS glitching over the safety information, which is funny but she also wants you dead, there's the symbols right on the test sign for turrets and cake, there's the camera watching you right next to an empty observation room...hmmmm....

The story takes place in your head and there's nothing in the game to break the immersion that you and your character thoughts are one and the same. Get it yet? First person game with a first person story? Saying Portal doesn't have story is like saying you have no brain.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#55seb03Posted 7/9/2011 11:46:51 AM
modern warfare 2. Better than most movies so epic. No other game immersed me like that one
---
"and when PS3 goes down you have to change your bank account and the locks on your door."
#56XechsPosted 7/9/2011 2:46:15 PM
For me

The world ends with you
radiant historia
Infinite Space
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#57XechsPosted 7/9/2011 2:48:44 PM
Duwstai posted...
Mass Effect is the only story I thought was truly epic this gen.

If you are suggesting in terms of size infinite space takes place in over 3 galaxies.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#58tYRE_602Posted 7/9/2011 3:07:14 PM
Hard to pick single games, I think this gen series are better to make a choice from...

Mass Effect series
Assassin's Creed series
Bioshock series