This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I download DLC with someone elses gamertag profile?

#1Ramza1Posted 7/8/2011 10:20:16 PM
Let's say I want to get some Deal of the Week DLC that only Gold Members get a discount on.

I'm a silver member, but my Dad (who uses a different Xbox) is a gold member. He's used MY Xbox to access his gold profile through Live, so I can use his profile while connected to the internet.

If I use HIS profile for the DLC, will they work on my silver profiles? Even if disconnected from Live?

Obviously, I could just buy a one month gold membership for about $10, I'm just trying to save as much money as I can get away with.
---
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!
#2SquallWindbladePosted 7/8/2011 10:24:37 PM
Connect to gold as PapaBear, download content on BabyBear's Xbox 360.

BabyBear can use the content on BabyBear's console, but only PapaBear can use the content on PapaBear's console.
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
#3Ramza1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 10:31:22 PM
Umm... That sounds like a yes.

But what if I'm not connected to Live at all so my Dad's profile isn't accessible on my Xbox?

Your saying the DLC (game add-ons in this case) will still work on my own profiles?

Sorry, I'm really OCD about clarity. I know, I drive everyone crazy.
---
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!
#4Super CreaturesPosted 7/9/2011 12:10:09 AM
DLC has two licenses, a console license and a gamertag license.

The console license is tied to the console that the content was originally downloaded to.

Any profile can use the content on the console with the console license, online or offline.

The gamertag license is tied to the gamertag that purchased the content.

Any profile can use the content on any console that the purchasing gamertag is currently connected to Live on.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#5RenamonPosted 7/9/2011 12:16:14 AM
Honestly, I feel like people overcomplicate their answers every time this topic pops up.

If you're on the console you bought the content on, all profiles can access the content. If you're on a different console, you can only access it while the profile the bought it is signed in to XBL.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#6TyrannicalPosted 7/9/2011 2:53:55 AM
Papa Bear can buy the content on your Xbox and he can still play it on his own as long as he is signed in.
---
Australian customs: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: I didn't think you needed one anymore.
#7SuperSuikodenPosted 7/9/2011 3:12:32 AM
What if PapaBear bought a Slim Xbox and wanted to transfer all his DLCs to his new Xbox?
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed
#8Dragon NexusPosted 7/9/2011 6:07:27 AM
SuperSuikoden posted...
What if PapaBear bought a Slim Xbox and wanted to transfer all his DLCs to his new Xbox?

Wouldn't matter, same principal applies. On his current Xbox, he's not the console license holder (just the gamertag license holder) so there would be literally no difference in him switching Xboxes.
The only difference is if BabyBear switched consoles.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#9SuperSuikodenPosted 7/9/2011 8:01:22 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
SuperSuikoden posted...

Wouldn't matter, same principal applies. On his current Xbox, he's not the console license holder (just the gamertag license holder) so there would be literally no difference in him switching Xboxes.
The only difference is if BabyBear switched consoles.

So, no problem to have 2 DLCs on two different consoles!?
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed
#10Ramza1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2011 10:46:44 AM
Any profile can use the content on any console that the purchasing gamertag is currently connected to Live on.

So if I ever DO switch consoles, I'll still be able to use the DLC on my own profile, just so long as I "recover gamertag" on my dad's profile and stay connected to Live?

That's cool, thanks for the answers everyone.
---