This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never played a Mass Effect game

#1go_bucs22Posted 7/9/2011 9:11:14 AM
I just got Mass Effect 2 as a gift but never played the first one. Am I am going to be confused and will I have to play the first one in order to know whats going on?
#2Shy420Posted 7/9/2011 9:17:09 AM
Meh not confused but it is nice to have the back story. There is some DLC you can DL that gives you an idea of the story and offers you a chance to make decisions in the first game that carry over and enhance the second game. When I say enhance it's just story wise and doesn't effect the game dramatically.

The worst part of the first game is the three to four hours you spend in the beginning of the game talking and fetch questing on citadel.
---
"Things aren't different. Things are just things." -Wintermute
#3chainsawhandsPosted 7/9/2011 9:18:23 AM
The stories do converge quite a bit since it was intended to be a trilogy from the start. You shouldn't be too lost though, the major points are all recapped.

In terms of story it would be best to play the first though. As far as gameplay a lot of people prefer the 2nd game, and it's much more streamlined than the first. So in that respect not having played the first won't put you at any disadvantage while playing the second.
---
This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang, but a whimper. -T.S. Eliot
#4headwounds13Posted 7/9/2011 9:19:08 AM
There's ways of getting the back story. The codex is pretty deep and explanatory, and there's a DLC motion comic that you can buy to help shape the choices that would carry over to the sequel from the original. I don't think you'll be too over your head going in with the second. Personally though, I would find the Mass Effect experience severely hampered had I not experienced the first.
---
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/headwoundss/129167586636177506-1.gif
#5steelix55Posted 7/9/2011 9:22:42 AM
Why not just go out and buy the first one? I saw it the other day at a place that sells used games for $13 bucks. You can get it anywhere for cheap as dirt now, and it is one of the best games on the Xbox 360.
---
XBL & PSN: aaron0115
#6bossk5Posted 7/9/2011 9:23:52 AM(edited)
You should play the first one because....well...it's better. Gonna add an IMO so the ME2 freedom fighters don't get upset. >_>
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where for some reason it's ok to bash Americans continually without fear of penalty. I guess we don't count as people here.
#7AnonymousFriendPosted 7/9/2011 10:07:14 AM
bossk5 posted...
You should play the first one because....well...it's better. Gonna add an IMO so the ME2 freedom fighters don't get upset. >_>

I have to also agree that the first one was better even with certain rough edges. The sequel has better combat and a "smoother" experience but they sacrificed the soul for that.

That being said, both games are incredibly fun. But you should start with the first game, inport your character and continue the story in the sequel, then get the third game in March.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#8scoobydoobydontPosted 7/9/2011 10:11:27 AM
Play the first, it was far, far better. Especially the Citadel, ignore Shy420.
---
"It's no longer (our) job to think up the rules; (our) job is to dissect gamers' preferences and build a world they can get addicted to." -Kojima
#9Arucard05Posted 7/9/2011 10:12:26 AM
Play the first one. Not just for the fact that the story really needs to be played out in its entirety, but it's just a really incredible game.
---
Our only enemy is the status quo. Our only friend is chaos.
#10Dark_SpiretPosted 7/9/2011 10:46:29 AM
if you have the option of playing the first one, DO IT.
---
My PC screen shots-http://s402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Darkspiret/
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics - Infamous - Uncharted 3 Beta