This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never played a Mass Effect game

#11AnonymousFriendPosted 7/9/2011 3:30:34 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Play the first, it was far, far better. Especially the Citadel, ignore Shy420.

I also agree. You don't have to spend more than an hour at the Citadel once you get there, but you will want to spend more. The side quest can take some time but that's only if you choose to do them on your first visit there. You can go back and re-visist the Citadel as much as you want until the endgame. Completing story missions opens up more side quests there.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#12DuwstaiPosted 7/9/2011 4:55:16 PM
You will have the basic idea of whats going on... but you wont enjoy the game nearly as much. Mass Effect 2 has a very basic and unremarkable story on its own. Everything great about it is a continuation from the first.

But thats not the real reason you should play 1. You should play 1 because its an awesome game and probably the most epic and memorable game this gen IMO. 2 has better gameplay... but doesnt have nearly as great a story, or as great an atmosphere IMO.

2 of the best games this gen though. Cant go wrong with either.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA, H2K CoBrA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#13anonymous46773Posted 7/9/2011 4:58:05 PM
Get the first one first. If nothing else, it will be worth it for the story.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#14bluehat94Posted 7/9/2011 5:03:44 PM
you dont really have to play the first, but if you have the cash you should, the second was better IMO but the first still had a great story
---
"Well i actually performed the experiment dozens of times. The bad news is reality doesnt exist. The good news is we have a new cat graveyard" -GLaDOS
#15GobizkuPosted 7/9/2011 5:13:55 PM
Do you have to play the first to understand what's going on? Technically no, you could easily have it spoiled for you.

But that's not the same as experiencing it for yourself, not by a long shot. You can't just read a summary of a movie and have it be the same as watching it yourself, and this is the same way. Play through the first. The story starts slow, but if you get past Virmire and still are like "meh" I would say just put the game down and accept it may not be the series for you.
---
"Chaos Is Not Entropy...Chaos Is Continual Creation." -Praxis
Preparation For A Coming Darkness