This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lookin' for general feedback on review idea.

#1elkamaleon21Posted 7/10/2011 4:06:01 PM
So I'm DBANing my laptop, so I can get back to vid capturing (long story on why I need to DBAN). I've had an idea for a long time to start a semi-regular vid review series exclusively tailored to indie games on the 360.

I have a lot of ideas if I decide to do it, but I'd like to know whether or not there would be value for such a series. I haven't seen anything floating around that has a prime focus on the indie section. The main idea is to 50/50 each episode, one game recommended and one to stay away from.

Anyways, comments, questions, and criticism (yes criticism) are welcome and encouraged as I don't want to waste my time on an ongoing project that won't have any interest to the 360 community.

For those that have interest in such things, I have a double BA in writing and film, an MA in film criticism, and am in the process of obtaining my PhD in Media, Cinema, and Digital Studies.

More importantly (at least to me), I've been an avid and rabid gamer since the Atari 2600 and have a deep respect for the artistic development required to bring games to consoles. That being said, I fully plan on being brutally honest.
---
360 tag: Remy 2x (message me for an add and we will kill things) ; If you're not on Raptr you havn't heard of it. Go make a profile and add me (Remy2x there).
#2Mutant1988Posted 7/10/2011 4:08:34 PM
Show, don't tell.

Make an episode (A pilot, if you will) and link it here, and we'll be able tell you if you have a working concept or not.
---
To all Trolls - Pretending to be an idiot... Makes you an idiot.
#3Izick_the_SpyPosted 7/10/2011 4:11:01 PM

Show, don't tell.

Make an episode (A pilot, if you will) and link it here, and we'll be able tell you if you have a working concept or not.

Boom.

I will review your review, be tactful, fair, and give reasonable criticism.
#4elkamaleon21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 4:14:42 PM
Sounds good guys. I'll probably do 5-10 episodes in one and stagger their releases (I'm moving out of state in a few weeks). If the DBAN wraps up soon, and I can find a quality XP to boot from, I may have one ready by later tonight.
---
360 tag: Remy 2x (message me for an add and we will kill things) ; If you're not on Raptr you havn't heard of it. Go make a profile and add me (Remy2x there).
#5Mutant1988Posted 7/10/2011 4:26:35 PM
Sounds good. The reason why I say show, don't tell is because the success of a project like this depends so much on the quality of your writing and acting, as well as the editing of the video (Pacing is very important).

As good as the concept is (And it is a good concept), the fact is that ideas are cheap. It's only in execution that they prove their worth. Do your best and I'm sure there'll be an audience for this.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do.
---
#6elkamaleon21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 4:33:20 PM
Thanks Mutant, and I by no means disagree. Although, I'll probably employ a non-scripted approach as I wouldn't want it to seem forced. Just me introducing the games, saying a little about what I've found about the developers and playing through 2.5-5 minutes of each before giving a verdict on the fly (though I will have played more behind the scenes).

Maybe at some point, if it were to find a core audience, try to get some at-least-Skype-like interviews with developers themselves. There's some quality indie content out there, and my only real hope would be to offer that content some attention that it deserves (or, who knows, doesn't).
---
#7ShawnKemp40Posted 7/10/2011 4:38:31 PM
Also be sure to eat and drink while reviewing the game.The sounds of chewing and swallowing into the mic just magical.
I like that..I like that a lot.
---
Champ...Champ! Looked like you two were doing the Jitterbug, while he Dallas secondary were doing the Charleston
#8elkamaleon21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 4:42:07 PM
Haha, you win only b/c Kemp was the man in the day. I'll be sure to hook ya up on a segment as a shoutout/annoyance :-D.
---
#9Mutant1988Posted 7/10/2011 4:47:29 PM
"I'll probably employ a non-scripted approach"

Bad idea. Professionals use scripts and do retakes and rewrites until it flows naturally.

You can do unscripted, but don't be surprised if the video ends up with a lot of awkward pauses and missed points and jokes, forcing you to do it over. And you should, because that isn't fun to watch.

It doesn't have to be that ambitious or expansive. Just a general idea of what you should be saying and what points you should be making before the video ends should be enough. And having that in writing helps.

But hey, I might be wrong. You might just be good enough to improvise the whole thing. Worth giving a shot to see if it works. All I'm saying is that it's usually better to go with a structured and well planned approach.
---
#10elkamaleon21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 4:55:39 PM(edited)
I hear ya. I usually have a set of bullet points when it comes to projects such as this, but I rarely script every little thing out to a "t". And I always, always, retake many times regardless of the script design.
---