This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having trouble opening NAT settings, did port forward, can you help fustmonkey?

#1MentaIGearSoIidPosted 7/12/2011 9:03:50 AM
For the past couple of years, I've been stuck with NAT Type 3 on my PS3. I've had XBL Gold for about a year, and I'm having trouble connecting quite a lot of the time.

I'm ASSUMING my 360 has NAT 3 as well, judging by my PS3 and the general connectivity issue, but I can't properly check. I do a connection test on the 360, but when I do it doesn't display NAT. When I check status with the Y button I get an message that says 'error list' or somesuch, then a letter followed by a string of numbers, for a few lines with a couple breaks. But it won't display NAT.

Now I'm more or less at the end of my tether here - me and my friend want to play a co-op game or two this summer, just us two, but we can't connect on either system. On the PS3, we're trying Borderlands, and on 360, it's the original Halo 3. In both cases, we have the exact same issue.

When we try to connect to each other in a private game, we fail. All the time. We can't start playing, we can't even get into the same lobby privately. However, if we try to join an open lobby, we can both join the same one and play together...but not privately, just us two. It's tolerable in Halo's case, but with Borderlands on PS3 we just can't do it, we don't like using mics when the other player(s) are mutes, and we want it to be just us two.

Thing is, I've already done the traditional port forward and firmware check on my Belkin G+ (can't recall the specific model right now) for both. For PSN I did it manually, but the Xbox automatically set up 2 forwarded ports (33907 and 3074) like how Skype did - I found this out while checking my forwarded ports.

I'm truly at the end of my tether here. Fustmonkey, you've been recommended to me by another person on another forum, but if anyone can help, please do.
#2FustmonkeyPosted 7/12/2011 9:21:37 AM(edited)
Do you have DSL? If so the router should be in PPPoE mode and you may have to put the modem into bridged mode. That's the first thing I would look at.

Are you forwarding port 80 to either the PS3 or 360? Don't do that. Don't forward port 80 or 53 to either the 360 or PS3 or anything else. Leave those ports alone when looking at guides for forwarding ports.

One problem that comes up is that people make static IP addresses on their consoles or computers. The idea is correct but making static IP addresses can sometimes cause these problems too. It's better to reserve the IP address in the router's settings instead, and leave it automatic on the consoles and computer's side. If your router doesn't support that (some or many don't) then you would be better off leaving it all automatic and turning up the lease time in the router's DHCP settings so that the consoles and computers will get the same IP addresses for a long time. then just forward to those IP addresses and check it every once in awhile to make sure that everything is still getting those same IP addresses. I would avoid using DMZ in that situation, in case your computer eventually ends up with that IP address.

If you do have static IP addresses made manually on your other stuff (like your PS3 and computers) and it's not a problem that you can tell, then you can leave that alone. No sense in messing with that. Just don't make a manual ip address on the 360.

Those are the places I would start. I'll be checking back in this topic to see how it's going.
---
Fix your NAT: http://www.freewebs.com/haximo/ports.htm
#3MentaIGearSoIid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2011 9:35:39 AM
Okay. I'm quite sure I have DSL because none of my IPs ever change. I keep hearing of Bridge Mode, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Is it accessed from your router's setup menus (the ones I get from putting my IP in my address bar)? How do I get PPoE mode?

I'm quite sure that because my IPs are static, I haven't set a custom one myself.

Thanks, I'll disable that port. I have it activated on my PSN one, but just for reference, it's not possible to have it active for both, right? When I tried before it said my inbound ports can't have overlap, and I had this same issue when freeing up ports for Steam, because they were already active for PSN, even though I obviously assigned different IPs for the computer and PS3.

I'm sorry for the further questions in the first paragraph. I'm not accustomed to networking at all.
#4RenamonPosted 7/12/2011 10:01:29 AM
Just because your IP address never changes doesn't automatically mean you have DSL.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#5leezeebubPosted 7/12/2011 10:04:38 AM
Have you tried crowbar?
---
PSN: Leezeebub GT: belzelee
Leezeebub: Stamping on Goombas since 1985
#6SquallWindbladePosted 7/12/2011 10:05:13 AM
Well, you got a recommendation from another forum. You're the official go-to guy for networking for all of GameFAQs. Well done, fustmonkey/alt-name-I-know-but-forget-now.
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
#7MentaIGearSoIid(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2011 10:39:22 AM
@Renamon: Well, my internet's wireless, does that confirm it?

@Leezebub: No. First time I've heard of it. Googling 'Crowbar NAT' doesn't find decent results...could I have a link please?
#8leezeebubPosted 7/12/2011 11:07:27 AM
Got chrome? Google Chrome Crowbar, you should get plenty of results. It's great for opening up all kinds of things.
---
#9leezeebubPosted 7/12/2011 11:14:11 AM
Personally, when I wanted to open my NAT all I did was phone my ISP (I'm with sky) and they did it all for me on their end. All I had to do was reset my box after they finshed.

I'm guessing your problem isn't so simple though :(
---
#10RenamonPosted 7/12/2011 11:20:47 AM
MentaIGearSoIid posted...
@Renamon: Well, my internet's wireless, does that confirm it?

Also no.

Seriously, you should know what kind of internet you have. Fiber, cable, DSL, satellite, dialup, etc. Who's your internet provider?
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games