This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Found some new XCOM gameplay footage...

#31Arucard05Posted 7/13/2011 6:17:32 AM

It doesn't really matter what the game did or didn't do, it's not modern and wouldn't sell, so they've made a game which is and will. People say it's not like the old one. You can't expect the devs to make a game like that for a generation that doesn't want it.

And you should be able to see why that should upset some people. FPS' are largely seen as a genre tailored for the ADD generation and when you say "Oh, those old thinkin' games are no good anymore. What are the kids playing these days? Make it like that" it's got to sting. I know gaming is a business like any other but that sucks man.
---
#32Aribar_HunterPosted 7/13/2011 6:22:16 AM
Nobody wants a new X-COM that's just an HD remake of the old ones. The game can be modernized. It can be given UI and game mechanic updates that have come with the 14+ years of improvements and discoveries in the game development field.

There are still strategy games coming out. Turn-based, real-time, and so on. They may not be as popular as before, but they aren't some dead and forgotten genre. A TBS X-COM game using contemporary game design techniques could surely sell well; at the end of the day it's still a battle of humans versus unknown enemies, a premise that people enjoy. It's all in the execution.

mtjormitch posted...
Spoony is a troll at BEST. He is the industries cancer of what it means to be apart of the old crowd of unchanging angry old people.

Besides, there never was a SINGLE bit of story in the old games. just info... that is it, what 2K is doing is making their own damn story because the makers of the old one were to damn lazy to.

Woo! We agree on something! Spoony is a hack!

Also, the old games had a story, although a rather light one. You start the first game faced with impossible odds against an unstoppable enemy. You're told to research the enemy. As you do, you find out what they're after and where they come from, and eventually you take the fight to them. The second and third games are similar.

Of course, the player does have to contribute a fair bit to the game. A lot of the game's charm comes from the emergent story telling. You personally build up a base and go on missions with the recruits. Heck, you can name them after your friends and family if you want. You can get attached to them and drawn into a story of your own creation.
---
"Yosuke has obtained the facade used to overcome life's hardships, the Persona Disco Ninja Frog!"
#33Dragon NexusPosted 7/13/2011 6:31:28 AM
robert_rangersu posted...
LMAO at people complaining it's not like the old one, in case you hadn't noticed the old game is **** in terms of todays gaming standard, do you expect them to just do an HD version of an extremely dated game. Reminds me of the tools who said "it's not fallout any more" Get with the times gramps, or find a new hobby.

I can think of one example that kinda refutes your entire statement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyL08nhtkw
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#34chainsawhandsPosted 7/13/2011 6:49:43 AM
This insistence that everything has to be "modern" (whatever that means) has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Everything that makes old games unbearable for the kiddies can be updated without necessarily changing the mechanics beyond recognition. X-Com wasn't made as a TBS game because of hardware limitations or something, it was designed that way because it worked beautifully. The formula has already been rewritten several times and the results have been garbage...what's different about this go round except for a new shiny coat of paint?

Good gameplay doesn't age. FFS.
---
This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang, but a whimper. -T.S. Eliot
#35scoobydoobydontPosted 7/13/2011 6:53:17 AM(edited)

I can think of one example that kinda refutes your entire statement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyL08nhtkw

PC only doesn't count for anything. PC gamers like out of date crap.

This insistence that everything has to be "modern" (whatever that means)

It means works for console audiences.

Good gameplay doesn't age. FFS.

Of course it does.
---
"What we have created are not an art but products. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not an art." -Miyamoto
#36Dragon NexusPosted 7/13/2011 9:13:38 AM
I really hope Scooby's post was a massive dollop of sattire. Otherwise, that's just freakin sad.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#37VampiricDragon_Posted 7/13/2011 10:51:51 AM
the game isnt xcom plain and simple.

They took a title they knew they could make money with and slapped in on a pedestrian shooter
---
Games to look forward to: Nora and the Engraving Studio, super robot wars OG 2, SMT devil survivor 2, Grand knight history, 7th dragon 2020,paper mario 3ds
#38mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 1:18:55 PM
VampiricDragon_ posted...

They took a title they knew they could make money with and slapped in on a pedestrian shooter

Watch the video whiners. please. it is brothers in arms with a tactical map. I swear, do people live to whine sometimes?
---
People need to realize that games are art. seroiusly, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#39Dragon NexusPosted 7/13/2011 2:16:38 PM
mtjormitch posted...
VampiricDragon_ posted...

Watch the video whiners. please. it is brothers in arms with a tactical map. I swear, do people live to whine sometimes?

Have you ever played an X-Com game ever?
Because it's really not sounding like it. You do realise people aren't complaining about how good or otherwise the game looks, they're complaining it has *nothing at all* to do with the original game series.
---