This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What kind of TV should you get for gaming these days?

#1VmodePosted 7/13/2011 4:53:47 AM
I bought my TV several years ago and with the somewhat drastic price drop on flat screen TVs since then I'm thinking about upgrading since my current TV sometimes gets weird little burn ins of static objects (like HUD elements) when I play games for extended periods of time. They're not all that prevalent and usually fade away fairly fast but stuff like that still kind of bug me. Hence, the idea of getting a new gaming focused HDTV (and using my current one for my old retro consoles).

So what's what for HDTVs these days? Should one get an LCD, LED or Plasma? What Brands are generally trustworthy? What kind of things should you be mindful of when buying one and what sort of "stats" do you generally need?
Basically I'm trying to get all caught up to speed here.
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#2robert_rangersuPosted 7/13/2011 4:58:12 AM
I believe LED's are the best now days, Sony, Samsung or Sharp would be the way to go.
---
Couldn't care less = you don't care one single bit.
Could care less = you do care, at least a little.
#3MinamoPosted 7/13/2011 5:04:07 AM
An ASUS monitor. Preferably whatever they used for EVO 2009, I believe it was an ASUS VH236H.
---
GT: C Hunter X / PSN: C_Hunter_X
#4TheRavenKC123Posted 7/13/2011 5:07:43 AM
i prefer lcd's, they don't get hot, and use very little electricity. as long as you get a good brand, i have a 32 inch lg lcd, and i love it.
---
http://youtube.com/user/TheRavenKC
BioWare and Bethesda rule!
#5Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 5:29:06 AM
Minamo posted...
An ASUS monitor. Preferably whatever they used for EVO 2009, I believe it was an ASUS VH236H.

I don't want a monitor, I want a TV.
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#6AmazingDanyPosted 7/13/2011 6:16:01 AM
Get a Panasonic, LG or Samsung plasma. You cover all bases for free HD tv shows, gaming and dvds.

Just be sure to buy it with a credit card NOT cash/debit.
#7TheRavenKC123Posted 7/13/2011 6:38:37 AM
AmazingDany posted...
Get a Panasonic, LG or Samsung plasma. You cover all bases for free HD tv shows, gaming and dvds.

Just be sure to buy it with a credit card NOT cash/debit.

i see you left out sony. lol
---
http://youtube.com/user/TheRavenKC
BioWare and Bethesda rule!
#8shads3055Posted 7/13/2011 6:46:58 AM
3d this winter im getting wwowowowowowowooww
#9secondhand1Posted 7/13/2011 6:48:19 AM
Vmode posted...
I don't want a monitor, I want a TV.

As on the other board, if gaming performance is your primary objective, you want a monitor. If you want a new display, The Dude and I have already answered your questions. You need to start doing some research.
---
Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope.
#10Vmode(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 7:41:49 AM
secondhand1 posted...
As on the other board, if gaming performance is your primary objective, you want a monitor.

What you said was pretty much just that there isn't any "gaming tv". To which my reply would be that there's still a scale where some TVs are better for gaming then other.

And yes, gaming would be my primary use for the TV (hence this topic), but it wouldn't be the sole use, which is why a monitor isn't really an option.

And I don't know how it is where you live, but over here >/=32" monitors arent exactly cheap.

If you want a new display, The Dude and I have already answered your questions. You need to start doing some research.

I guy ain't allowed to ask follow up questions now? I find that the back and forth helps me get a better picture of what I need to look for.
---