This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Golden Age of gaming is now dead forever.

#1merkhavaPosted 7/15/2011 8:11:56 AM
When I was playing Final Fantasy 7 in the fall of 1997 fourteen years ago, I thought to myself that I would never be able to give up playing video games. Today they're as exciting as eating a stale piece of cake on a cold winter morning.

The first game I ever played and beat was Super Mario Bros. on the NES way back when, and since then I've played every major game on every major platform. After owning countless games & consoles, and spending thousands of hours, and thousands of dollars I think I'm all done with video games.

The people who make videogames today are people who grew up playing a lot of the same games that most of us did - so you would expect that they would bring their passion and love of gaming into the industry and create the kind of games we've always wanted to play. The reality it seems is that a great idea means absolutely nothing. Companies impose strict budgets and deadlines on developers and the question isn't "can we make a great game?", it's "can we make a game, and market it with a budget of X dollars in 10 months?"

As companies continue to try and tap a larger market share, games are becoming too gimmicky, too easy, too short, too mainstream, too simple, too social, too stupid!

I don't want to use fancy controllers, I don't want to jump around my living room, I don't want to compare achievements/trophies, I don't want to know when so-and-so is online, I don't want you to hold my hand the first half-way through the game, and I certainly don't want to spend a nickel and dime every few weeks to download new stuff.

Videogames use to be about escaping reality. I'm sure most of you can remember the experience of playing Zelda for the first time, or a more modern example - Halo CE. You're not sure what's happening, or where to go, or what to do but it was so amazing to get completely engrossed in an amazing fantasy world, to discover new things, to learn it's story, to have the whole world open up to you as you discover more and more.

Whatever happened to that gaming experience? It's become too convoluted, tiresome, and repetitive. When playing modern games it "feels" like you're playing a "video game" and not like an experience the way it used to.

I guess part of it is that older games had severe technical limitations and it left so much to the imagination. Exploring the world of Hyrule on the NES you could imagine how rich and vast the world is (even if it was subconsciously) and that was part of the appeal. Now developers are able to actually create those worlds and they are almost always less spectacular that you envision.

This year’s E3 was the final straw. It’s clear that the industry is focusing on 3D, Motion controllers, multiple screens, social gaming etc and not on delivering memorable experiences. They’ve shown that they’re more focused on reaching kids, mom, and grandparents with gimmicky features rather than retain the loyalty of their most dedicated fans. They recruit celebrities and sport stars to try and push all this crap on us, but all we want are good games.

The golden era of gaming has been dead for some time now. To the new generation, my only advice is to go back and play all the classic gems from the late 80s to mid 90s to experience what gaming should have been all about.
---
...were it so easy...
#2EskiiPosted 7/15/2011 8:13:31 AM
Okay
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/EskiLdn
#3Pacman2dxPosted 7/15/2011 8:15:30 AM
Oh yeah, well that's like your opinion man.
---
XBL - FA7ALtheGOD / PSN - FATALtheGOD
Now Playing : Reach, BFBC2, Black Ops, Mortal Kombat, LA Noire
#4Arucard05Posted 7/15/2011 8:16:09 AM
Gaming is as good now as it ever was. You changed man.
---
You should buy Beyond Good and Evil HD. Seriously, please?
#5lord_ryePosted 7/15/2011 8:17:14 AM
k
---
It's like looking through a microscope at a cell culture and seeing a thousand dancing hamsters. - Dr. Rodney McKay
Last game played in 2007 was Halo3.
#6Villain_S_FiendPosted 7/15/2011 8:18:55 AM
FF7 wasn't exciting.
---
No man is pudding.
#7merkhava(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 8:20:54 AM
Villain_S_Fiend posted...
FF7 wasn't exciting.

I guess that' why it's been almost universally hailed as one of the best games of all time, and the game that brought RPGs into the mainstream. </Sarcasm>
---
...were it so easy...
#8seb03Posted 7/15/2011 8:21:31 AM
ff7 is over rated
---
"and when PS3 goes down you have to change your bank account and the locks on your door."
#9takidigits2005Posted 7/15/2011 8:21:58 AM
Alllllllllright then. C ya.
---
"You know I can't play without a GUI -TAR string, n-n-n-n-n-nephew!!!" --- Uncle Pecos
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 7/15/2011 8:24:36 AM

When I was playing Final Fantasy 7 in the fall of 1997 fourteen years ago, I thought to myself that I would never be able to give up playing video games. Today they're as exciting as eating a stale piece of cake on a cold winter morning.

Oh, so you mean a million times more exciting than games like FF7 were.

I guess that' why it's been almost universally hailed as one of the best games of all time

Ha...ha? It wasn't even universally hailed when it was new.

and the game that brought RPGs into the mainstream.

JRPGs you mean? A genre that rose and fell in the west with just FF pretty much? And by mainstream you mean created a weeaboo fad that has long since passed and is by no means anything other than niche? If you mean all that, okay I guess.
---
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here." -Molyneux