This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Golden Age of gaming is now dead forever.

#51Ginsu VictimPosted 7/15/2011 9:04:24 AM(edited)
DrunkenJin posted...
I don't think anyone will like a game from over 10 years ago who has not lived through that age. Same way kids in ten years will not enjoy games of today.

As someone who builds arcade machines, I can tell you that kids today still enjoy games THIRTY years old.

I just built a cabinet for a friend of mine and his 12 year old daughter won't stop playing Track and Field. Another friend has a huge arcade collection and his kids (and their friends) are always playing the games, no matter how antiquated. They particularly enjoy the pinball machines, something software can't properly reproduce (though Pinball Hall of Fame and Visual Pinball come closest).

---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#52DyingPancakePosted 7/15/2011 9:03:57 AM
merkhava posted...
DyingPancake posted...
Well Zohar completley destroyed all of TC's points

....yeah *rolls eyes*

I mean you can have your opinion TC, but stop trying to pass it off as fact

Who says I'm trying to pass of anything as fact? It's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree if you like; no need for personal attacks.

I wasn't personally attacking you.......

For every point you brought up, Zohar brought up a better one. I'm sorry that made you angry.

And it was the tone of your original posts that made people respond the way they did. There is no doubt you could have worded better, and most of the posts here arn't even attacking you. They are worded the same way you worded your first post.

And if you want people to respect you more don't label every one who has a different opinion than you as a kid.
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
I had dinner with ZombiePelican!!!
#53Zohar_MetatronPosted 7/15/2011 9:06:19 AM
....yeah *rolls eyes*

Then back up any of your statements. Or counter any of my points.

You can't just cry "but this is my OPINION," because opinions are formed by looking at facts, and you don't appear to be doing that.

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not going to try and convince you to like Xenogears but for many gamers this is a classic.

One of my all time favorites, a meaningful and memorable experience without the fanfare and flash.

Xenogears is nothing but fanfare and flash, though. It's graphically beautiful, one of the better looking games on the PSX, and the soundtrack is amazing. That's it. The battle system's bland, basically little more then attack/magic/items/run and a point-conservation/charge system that offers absolutely no extra over spamming whatever your highest physical combo is each turn. The plot would've been a pretty straightforward save-the-world-from-the-evil-guy-and-his-henchman quest with a bunch of religious terms thrown in to make it sound more intellectual then it really was...only it was rushed, so you spend half of Disc 1 in a sewer/battle arena, the other half of Disc 1 doing crap that has no relation to anything, and all of Disc 2 listening to a guy tell you what the plot would've been like if they didn't have time/budget constraints.
---
Would you please stop that infernal raking?! It's driving me CRAZY! SHEESH!
#54DrunkenJinPosted 7/15/2011 9:06:38 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
DrunkenJin posted...
I don't think anyone will like a game from over 10 years ago who has not lived through that age. Same way kids in ten years will not enjoy games of today.

As someone who builds arcade machines, I can tell you that kids today still enjoy games THIRTY years old.

I just built a cabinet for a friend of mine and his 12 year old daughter won't stop playing Track and Field. Another friend has a huge arcade collection and his kids (and their friends) are always playing the games, no matter how antiquated.

Yes, but that's just simple fun. I wasn't around for the early 80s but I still like playing games from that era(i did when I was young as well...man I miss arcades)

It was a sad day when they closed the arcade in marina del ray that I grew up playing. They even had a dragon's lair machine(that I sucked at, but loved watching the older guys play)
---
XLB: CodyBlues. FC 8054-4057-7024-3905 Animal crossing FC 0603-5159-4579
First person to get it- Azrahai
#55RagnarokxvPosted 7/15/2011 9:11:16 AM
I agree with TC for the most part. I walk into a game store today and there is literally nothing I would want to play let alone purchase. I'm sick of first person shooters, they are terrible on consoles anyways. I don't like playing online games because the majority of people on them act like children. Don't get me started on MMORPGs.
The only reason I have a 360 is to play scrolling arcade shooters (shmups) which seem to be the only genre these days that provides any sort of real challenge while not being corrupted by the modern gaming trends that we despise.

Remember the NES? Well you probably don't. You couldn't save. You had to clear the game in one sitting. This required a huge amount of skill, which you had to develop through playing the game. Games don't require this sort of skill anymore.

Which brings me to difficulty. Modern games have none. It is almost like developers have forgotten what the word game means.

It also doesn't help that my old favourite developers have lost sight of what made them great in the first place. Look at the state of Square-Enix.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#56DakhanavarXPosted 7/15/2011 9:11:56 AM
Geist posted...
Don't blind your self to that fact because you remember you old game fondly. We all do, but it does not make them better, just fond memories. If you really want to test that fact, go play FF7 again all the way through. I guarantee you it will not be as spectacular as you remember.

A even better test is a game from around the same time that you *didn't* play. Like I mentioned in a previous post, my friend/roommate is on his big old school kick and I've seen him play a couple that I hadn't played...didn't do much for me. I even remarked about one game, "It looks like it would've been cool to play back in the day." Nostalgia is a powerful thing.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#57josh_bPosted 7/15/2011 9:18:42 AM
Ha, I like how older gamers come in here and talk about about the golden age of gaming and how it's dead. Games haven't changed as much as you think. gamers that are growing up now and are playing games now are having the exact same feelings about games that we did back then. It's you that have changed... not games.

Your just jaded. It's the very reason that games haven't changed that much is why you feel games are boring or dull to you now. We have been playing the same games for years. So it's understandable that after awhile you simply get bored of it. I myself took over a year off from games and when i came back i had the same feelings we all did when we were younger..... I was excited again.
---
'Happy is he that taketh Thy little ones and dasheth their heads against the stones." Albert H. Fish "GrayMan" Serial killer and Cannibal
#58IwantedzeroPosted 7/15/2011 9:21:22 AM

I agree with TC for the most part. I walk into a game store today and there is literally nothing I would want to play let alone purchase.

It's a shame companies today can't make games that call childhood memories up for you.

'm sick of first person shooters, they are terrible on consoles anyways.

It's a good thing you weren't sick of RPGs in the last two generations or sick of platformers in the classic days. Or you'd be in the exact same boat.

You couldn't save.

That's what we need, games where you can't save. Yes, yes, in an industry filled with copy cats, quick reskins, shovelware, micro-transactions, movie based games and on disk DLC, it's the ability to stop playing the game and come back to it later that is really doing damage. How DARE people want to take short breaks? Don't they know they're ruining everything?

This required a huge amount of skill, which you had to develop through playing the game. Games don't require this sort of skill anymore.

And all that skill got you what, exactly? Nothing.

Which brings me to difficulty. Modern games have none. It is almost like developers have forgotten what the word game means.

Yes, clearly they've forgotten what the word game means because games aren't hard. Like the other day I played a game of shoots and ladders. GOD DAMN that game ticks me off! It's so difficult! I mean it has to be, right? It's a game, and to be a game it has to be hard, right?

It also doesn't help that my old favourite developers have lost sight of what made them great in the first place. Look at the state of Square-Enix.

Square Enix is much the same as it has always been. You probably mean Squaresoft.
---
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/615/zeropoem.jpg
#59Ginsu VictimPosted 7/15/2011 9:22:50 AM(edited)
Ragnarokxv posted...
Remember the NES? Well you probably don't. You couldn't save. You had to clear the game in one sitting.

Plenty of games let you save or had passwords you wrote down. Sure, there were more that DIDN'T let you, but you made it sound like there was no saving at all.

---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#60headwounds13Posted 7/15/2011 9:24:06 AM
I must be the odd man out with this nostalgia thing, the old titles that I remember loving are still a blast to play through, I'm in the middle of a Final Fantasy run through, and 7 was just as cool as I remembered it. I had a great time playing it (in it's entirety) and I'm loving current releases as well.

I mean, all things considered, having just as much fun playing old games as I used while loving new titles coming out is a pretty good problem to have, label it whatever you want.
---
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/headwoundss/129167586636177506-1.gif