This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Golden Age of gaming is now dead forever.

#71TheArcadePosted 7/15/2011 10:11:45 AM
It's been dead ever since Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis. Where were you then TC?
---
Phantom Miria, Rippling Ophelia, Teresa of the Faint Smile, Galatea.
#72XtremeWRATH360Posted 7/15/2011 10:12:28 AM
I been gaming since Atari and will when this gen goes im going with it. All i see in the future are gimmicks and milked to death franchises thrown in with many generic titles with a FEW decent original titles, yeah not worth it imo especially when everything next gen will be severely overpriced(see 3DS)

I will be perfectly content playing all the great games from the past and the great games on this current gen without having to jump into the next gen. For me gaming will be dead once this gen is over.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#73PrinceOfFalloutPosted 7/15/2011 10:19:20 AM
i hate nostalgia it has never done it for me some old games were trash and some others were good pure and simple, but i wont sit here and say they were the best because each gen has had memorable games and sucky games.
---
"Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted"
GT:GodMode XIII
#74mrandykPosted 7/15/2011 10:46:49 AM
This generation is hands down the worst one yet. Online play and the ever growing group of people who have no business owning a gaming console have killed the industry.
#75Shell76Posted 7/15/2011 10:51:40 AM
I've also been gaming since the Atari 2600 (1982) and I still love games as they are. Times change and we change along with them. Gaming isn't pure escapism for me anymore, now that I'm in my early 30's. Gone are the days I could chill out in my parents' basement, tackling the latest Mega Man or Final Fantasy with my brother. I call FFVII my sentimental favorite because I played it at the perfect time in my life, though it's no longer my favorite game ever. For as much as I loved that game when I was 20, I haven't been able to play it through a second time.

Still I've played some great games that have come out since 2005. I've delved into ES: Oblivion for over 150 hours, played thousands of online matches in the Halo series, and got lost in the desolation of the Fallout 3 world, the latter of which was my escape when I went through a period of unemployment in 2008. Today, I don't get to game as much as I used to, though I enjoyed three straight hours of Torchlight bliss last night. When I have children, I will have even less time to play, but I will also have the joy of sharing games with my kids. In short, gaming will always be part of my life, but it will evolve.

I think the quality of games is still there, but its biggest threat is our crappy economy. I honestly forsee the game market crashing within the next 10 years - it's just a gut feeling I have. It happened in the early 80's for a few years, it could happen again. People are obsessed with tech gadgets and are spending too much money on stuff they can't afford - something's gonna give eventually. I also don't see where gaming can go, I feel it's reached it's peak with the current gen. Feel free to challenge this because I'd like some reassurance. I don't want to game in a world that's only full of cheap iPhone/Facebook games.
---
XBL: Demon Huntress
Currently Playing: Alice: Madness Returns, Torchlight, Fallout: NV, Dance Central, Mother 3 (GBA)
#76daveliciousPosted 7/15/2011 10:52:44 AM
mrandyk posted...
This generation is hands down the worst one yet. Online play and the ever growing group of people who have no business owning a gaming console have killed the industry.

The gaming industry is doing fine... What would kill the industry would be for them to cater to the minority of gamers who want niche games and a return to old school style gaming (which would fail anyway because new games using old school gameplay... without nostalgia... would not be as fun as the people affected by their nostalgia expect)...

You make games to cater to 10,000 people... then at most you only sell 10,000 copies... the games industry collapses.
---
PSN: Davelicious GT: Davelicious46
NEW SETUP: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/Davelicious406/DSC02294.jpg
#77spectermaster14Posted 7/15/2011 10:54:38 AM
mrandyk posted...

I like to think that people who like the idea of limiting games to certain folks are doing much more damage to the industry than people playing video games for fun.
#78GeistPosted 7/15/2011 11:01:07 AM
mrandyk posted...

Why do they have no business? No one is born a gamer after all. I mean I get at this point your just trolling, but still even trolling needs explanations when it makes no sense.
---
Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
#79universaldavePosted 7/15/2011 11:22:05 AM
It's only dead in your mind. It's COMPLETELY subjective.

I'm 45 years old.. I played pong on our TV set... it was a wood-panel box that was just for pong.... so I"ve essentially played through the entire history of videogames. I can say that every generation has had it's own ups and downs but I've found many games that I've enjoyed throughout every generation.

When I look back with nostalgia I really have a fondness for my days playing on the Sega Genesis (that time period always sticks out, as does the PS1 days); but that doesn't mean I think games were better then than they are now. Games are just as good now IMO. I had fun back then and I'm still having fun.
---
Gamefaqs: where men who can't get dates take every opportunity to tell everyone about their incredibly high standards when it comes to women.
#80SquallWindbladePosted 7/15/2011 11:24:07 AM
I was told that being 23 and married makes me too old and fat to play video games.

I started playing NES games when I was three, which was still about 2 years before I'd be able to own my own console and about 5 before I'd get my first SNES.

The first game I beat, when I was 4, was the original Metroid. I cleared Super Mario Brothers when I was 6, and Earthworm Jim received a full clear at the age of 9.

Games were not hard. Even toddler me figured out that all of the enemies moved in exactly the same patterns and that you could play the entire game doing nothing but counter-attacking. Well, except for Ghosts 'n Goblins. I still can't beat that, and I'm an adult now.

I love old-school gaming, but to say that it was better than today is hilarious and silly. When you say it, I look at you like you just tried to tell me that silent black and white films are way better than talkies because silent films have more depth.

Oh, and then I watched you do the Charleston as a "new, hip" dance. When I laughed, you called me a square. There are reasons that the old stuff goes away.

Also CV IV was pretty much crap, in my opinion. I much preferred CVIII, which first introduced character switching in the main series and offered a lot more replay value than CV IV. CV IV was the better looking game, but CVIII outclassed it.
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.