This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best d-pad: The transforming d-pad or the Razer onza controller?

#1LasseabergPosted 7/21/2011 6:23:35 AM
Let's face it: The d-pad for the vanilla 360 controller is simply bad. So i've been looking into getting myself a new controller. I'd like some feedback on the controllers in question though, preferably from someone who've tried both:

Transforming d-pad VS Razer onza controller

Both of them seem pretty nice, but it's all gonna come down to which one has the best
d-pad. I'm a big fan of 2D-games, so the one that's more suited for platformers or the like would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
---
"Trolling:Apparently, the definition amongst the gamefaqs community is anyone who disagrees with your opinion."
-secondhand1
#2Samuel 025Posted 7/21/2011 6:25:49 AM
Lasseaberg posted...
Let's face it: The d-pad for the vanilla 360 controller is simply bad. So i've been looking into getting myself a new controller. I'd like some feedback on the controllers in question though, preferably from someone who've tried both:

Transforming d-pad VS Razer onza controller

Both of them seem pretty nice, but it's all gonna come down to which one has the best
d-pad. I'm a big fan of 2D-games, so the one that's more suited for platformers or the like would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Get the transforming D-pad if you want a slightly better D-pad attached to an awesome controller.

Get the Onza D-pad if you want an equally crappy D-pad attached to a hit-or-mostly-miss and overpriced crappy controller.
---
Dr. House and Dr. Cox should team up and cure everything.
"Drinking Santana champ, cause it's so crisp!"
#3Enix BelmontPosted 7/21/2011 6:27:28 AM
Transforming D-pad is amazing, but fragile. My controller broke after only 4-5 months. I bought another one because it was so good, though, which says enough.

And IMO, the next best D-pad is the standard. Theyve improved since the old ones. Buy one of the new black ones that comes with the slims and compare to an old white one and it's obvious it's much more responsive. The white controllers were trash, which is where the hate comes from, but they've fixed it without announcing it. I play 99% fighting games and have no problem with my red and black gamestop special edition controller.(which I use over the silver because its a bit harder to the D-pad. I love the transforming the best, though)
---
http://i38.tinypic.com/15mk29j.jpg
#4Dragon NexusPosted 7/21/2011 6:28:47 AM
Depends entirely what you need it for. For fighters, the Onza isn't a particularlt good choice for things like Street Fighter or Blazblue. The Onza's Dpad is a set of 4 buttons rather than a flat analogue stick. What that means is it's possible to press all 4 directions at once, making it harder to do half circles or quarter circles and such. In this instance the transforming pad would be better.

However, I find the Onza's D-pad is good for Mortal Kombat since the special moves are done primarilly by direction taps. Down, Forward, X or Back, Forward, Y etc. It's easier to tap the direction buttons like you would the face buttons.
The Onza is also helpful for games that use the directional pad only sparingly, such as Gears of War where you change weapons.

The transforming pad would overall be a better choice if you're after a general purpose D-pad, but the Onza is better in specific circumstances.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#5da number one stoogePosted 7/21/2011 6:31:26 AM
How olds your controller TC? I ask because my launch controller has an awful d-pad but my brothers brand new one is much, much better.
Maybe just buying a new standard pad is the best solution, because honestly, those other d-pads aren't much better. They're nowhere near as good as say Sony's or Nintendos.

I've also heard a few dozen people complaining about the SE controllers d-pad breaking after a few months. So I'd make sure to keep the receipt if you do buy one.
---
Rest in peace Jason. I'll miss you man.
#6Lasseaberg(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 6:31:41 AM
Alright, sounds like the transforming d-pad is the way to go then. Thanks!
---
"Trolling:Apparently, the definition amongst the gamefaqs community is anyone who disagrees with your opinion."
-secondhand1
#7Lasseaberg(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 6:33:54 AM
At da number one stooge:

The one i'm using currently isn't much older than a year. (Got it with the slim model) Would that make it part of the improved standard controllers?
---
-secondhand1
#8da number one stoogePosted 7/21/2011 6:41:09 AM
Lasseaberg posted...
At da number one stooge:

The one i'm using currently isn't much older than a year. (Got it with the slim model) Would that make it part of the improved standard controllers?

I'm not 100% certain which ones are the improved ones. My brothers one came with the Slim 360 he bought in Febuary.
I noticed a drastic improvement over my crappy launch controller though. I hate the 360 d-pad and it's been the cause of many a death, so when I picked up his pad I immediately noticed an improvement.
I even went as far as to file my d-pad, but to no avail.

See if you can find a store demo that uses a black controller and give it a go for yourself. I'm not sure how drastic the difference is with the new transforming d-pad though, so maybe that is still the better option.
---
Rest in peace Jason. I'll miss you man.
#9KentFPosted 7/21/2011 2:11:02 PM
The newer standard controllers are distinguishable by their black sticks and D-pads, as well as a glossy finish on the guide button - older controllers have grey sticks and D-pads, and a matte finish on the guide button. The newer ones, the ones that ship with Xbox 360 S consoles, do have a significantly-improved D-pad over the older ones, but it's the same style of D-pad.

As for the Razer Onza, I haven't used one, so I can't really provide any input on it. The transforming D-pad controllers however, have one of the better D-pads that have been made available on consoles - in my opinion, second only to the Saturn's godly D-pad.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: Kent
Not really accepting random friend requests.
#10Lasseaberg(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2011 2:40:57 PM
I'll probably wind up getting the transforming d-pad one then. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

And... uh... Dang, it's kinda expensive @_@ Do want better d-pad though.
---
-secondhand1