This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Are AAA Titles Too Long?" WHAAAT?!

#1BrownGrownManPosted 7/21/2011 6:33:42 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6324422/are-aaa-games-too-long?tag=morenews%3Btitle%3B13

I missed this article the other day, but holy ****, this is just plain stupidity.

While the title is misleading, they're basically saying that a large amount of gamers are casual gamers, and 10 hour campaigns are too long for them, so hence games should be shortened. However, casual gamers don't play AAA games first and foremost. As well, AAA titles tend to be 60 dollar investments, due to their higher development costs.

Thus an attempt to make AAA games shorter than ten hours would be suicide selling at 60 dollars.

I really don't know what to say about this article other than it's stupid lol. However, the premise of shortening campaigns because of casual players is ridiculous. "Casual" gamers don't play games for story.
#2stawg007Posted 7/21/2011 6:44:42 AM
if this was to ever happen for that reason, all i can say is,

**** casual gamers
---
Sivis Pacem Parabellum
#3da number one stoogePosted 7/21/2011 6:55:41 AM
My favourite was the comment about gamers wanting easy puzzles. No you morons. Some of us would like ****ing puzzles that require some thought. Not every game has to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Thank god Valve still gets this. (Yes. I know Portal isn't THAT hard. But it's better than most crap nowadays)
---
Rest in peace Jason. I'll miss you man.
#4stapler87Posted 7/21/2011 7:40:16 AM
This is stupid. Maybe I'd start buying games on release day for $60 again if they weren't so damn short.
---
"I have to return some videotapes!" - Patrick Bateman
#5MrMikeMaPosted 7/21/2011 7:53:01 AM
I'm sick of game length topics in general. It's a catch-22 situation
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/
#6AnonymousFriendPosted 7/21/2011 7:53:17 AM
What's this aversion to short games? Not every game needs to be extremely long. And most games these days are long only because they make you walk every where.

Do first and third persons shooters need to be as long as Elder Scroll and Fallout games?

Some games are like amuzement park rides: explosive fun that lasts just long enough, then when it's over you get right back in line to start over.

Plus, not every game needs to be soul crushing hard. Portal's puzzles needed to be challenging because it's a puzzle game. A game where less than 5% of the game is puzzles should impede you game progession with a puzzle.

Not every game needs to be like this. And there should be a variety in games with these features.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#7perijahPosted 7/21/2011 8:08:43 AM
FPS's get their playtime out of multi player for a big part I believe, which is repetitive but addicting for some reason.

But I agree, 60$ is too much for +-6 hours of singleplayer. Even if it's a good.
---
Sing with me: Bababadoe bababadoe bababadoe bapajeeeay
#8Dragon NexusPosted 7/21/2011 8:38:45 AM
Most people I know who play all the multiplayer games and leap from one FPS to another would agree that yes campaigns are too long simply because they exist.

Most of the gamers I know hit whatever button skips the cutscenes as soon as possible just to get back to the action. So yeah, games are too long for them too.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#9takidigits2005Posted 7/21/2011 8:55:55 AM
Yeah, I read this article the other day. Pure rubbish.
---
"You know I can't play without a GUI -TAR string, n-n-n-n-n-nephew!!!" --- Uncle Pecos
#10IDarthSothIPosted 7/21/2011 9:08:01 AM
**** that. I very rarely buy a game that is less than a 10 hour experience. The game has to be something pretty phenomenal and have huge re-play value for me to justify more than renting it. AAA titles that have ***** 6-8 hour campaigns just piss me off and waste my time.

I rarely play multiplayer in games so if they jip me in the SP campaign it will guarantee I won't buy another title without a guaranteed 10-15 hour campaign.
---
One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.