This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Are AAA Titles Too Long?" WHAAAT?!

#21SquallWindbladePosted 7/21/2011 11:13:27 AM
Killah Priest posted...
even short games have filler junk tho, Earth Defence Force IA is filler defined.

Wow really? They shortened EDF to less than 20 hours? The first one takes easily over 150 hours to complete.

Oh, I see. I don't consider Arcade-style shooting to be "filler." I'm talking about the typical point in games where it's like "you have to save humanity, but first things first, let's talk about your wardrobe, and I could really use your help tidying up the place. Would you mind taking my laundry to the laundromat? Thanks for helping me clear the rats from my cellar. It's imperative to the mission that you help me fold and put away these clothes. I need you to take this mundane item to my mundane neighbor."

"Okay, now that you've done all my chores, go find someone else and do theirs. 50 more people and then we'll talk about what you need to do to save the world."
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
#22Killah PriestPosted 7/21/2011 12:00:27 PM(edited)
I consider it filler because of the achievements.

you won't even come close to reaching them unless you play through the game like 6 times.

and the armor leveling being separate and the amount of XP you need to level being ridiculously high.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#23Carte360Posted 7/21/2011 12:18:47 PM
Meh the article speaks the truth, casual gamers hate story and just want action.

Seriously I buy a game for me and friend and by god if he can skip any text/cutscene/ even a loading screen he will. He sits there and smashes every button on the controller to try and skip things.

He loves the action but has a vendetta for the story, almost all my friends are like this, it is sad but ah well..
---
Pokemon FC: 0904-5158-2126
Yeah I am a Christian, but not the kind you think you know.
#24WinternovaPosted 7/21/2011 12:20:12 PM
Killah Priest posted...
I consider it filler because of the achievements.

you won't even come close to reaching them unless you play through the game like 6 times.

and the armor leveling being separate and the amount of XP you need to level being ridiculously high.

You didn't play the first one, did you?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)
#25Killah PriestPosted 7/21/2011 12:36:07 PM
I did play the first one and actually got 1k in it.

this one is far worse.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#26AmazingManXPosted 7/21/2011 12:39:58 PM
Carte360 posted...
Meh the article speaks the truth, casual gamers hate story and just want action.

Seriously I buy a game for me and friend and by god if he can skip any text/cutscene/ even a loading screen he will. He sits there and smashes every button on the controller to try and skip things.

He loves the action but has a vendetta for the story, almost all my friends are like this, it is sad but ah well..

I've been playing games since i was 3. I'm 25 now and i'm at a point in my life where i just want solid gameplay. Most games don't deliver their stories well because they're padding for gameplay time. This is why the JRPG is dying. The stories aren't told well. Most of them are premises that can be done in the span of a 2 hour movie,but are stretched to 60-100+ hours.

I saw a video online that was titled **** your story. Where no matter what game i play i should be able to skip the story and play the game. Because in essence that's why i bought the game. To PLAY. Now don't get me wrong. I sink quite a few hours into a few games here and there, but for the most part i just want to pop my game in and have fun.

I played bionic commando recently. I didn't read a single file, i didn't watch most of the cutscenes, i just played the game. and i loved it. Meanwhile Dragon Age origins sits in the corner, and i can't pop it in because i don't want to sit through 2 hours of dialogue trees. I don't have much time outside of my day job and being a cartoonist on the side. Its not that i don't want to enjoy the story i dont' have the time to.
---
PERSONA!
#27anonymous46773Posted 7/21/2011 12:45:25 PM
Thus an attempt to make AAA games shorter than ten hours would be suicide selling at 60 dollars.
If they added a half assed multiplayer, most people would still buy it, sadly.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#28Carte360Posted 7/21/2011 4:37:01 PM
AmazingManX posted...
Carte360 posted...

I've been playing games since i was 3. I'm 25 now and i'm at a point in my life where i just want solid gameplay. Most games don't deliver their stories well because they're padding for gameplay time. This is why the JRPG is dying. The stories aren't told well. Most of them are premises that can be done in the span of a 2 hour movie,but are stretched to 60-100+ hours.

I saw a video online that was titled **** your story. Where no matter what game i play i should be able to skip the story and play the game. Because in essence that's why i bought the game. To PLAY. Now don't get me wrong. I sink quite a few hours into a few games here and there, but for the most part i just want to pop my game in and have fun.

I played bionic commando recently. I didn't read a single file, i didn't watch most of the cutscenes, i just played the game. and i loved it. Meanwhile Dragon Age origins sits in the corner, and i can't pop it in because i don't want to sit through 2 hours of dialogue trees. I don't have much time outside of my day job and being a cartoonist on the side. Its not that i don't want to enjoy the story i dont' have the time to.

And this is my point exactly, gamers are either soft core or are becoming soft core or w/e.

Idk I don't have much time in my day either but I still love a good story, been gaming for 14 years which isn't that long but hey.. Also there are different genres ya know, if you don't want a story game don't buy it, there are plenty of just pure action games.
---
Pokemon FC: 0904-5158-2126
Yeah I am a Christian, but not the kind you think you know.