This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my xbox dying?

#1DahlVaughnniPosted 7/22/2011 4:49:48 AM
I've had my old premium xbox for 4-5 years, the one with the 20gb HDD and forza 2 (does not have an hdmi port), and it's been great all this time, so it's not one of the defective systems. But lately, in the last 2 weeks or so, it's been freezing a lot, but I've also been playing some games I didn't have before.

Is my xbox dying or does Dragon Age Origins and Torchlight just freeze a lot on everyones xbox?
---
Gamertag & PSN: Archlvt
FFCC: EOT FC - 0261 0047 8986
#2RPG_ApostlePosted 7/22/2011 4:57:17 AM
I've never had Torchlight freeze on me, but I've never played more than maybe an hour or so at a time.

I've had Origins freeze occasionally, but that's to be expected with a game that big.

New Vegas, on the other hand, has been freezing on my constantly since the last patch.

TC, I suggest you clear your cache (you'll have to re-download any patches) and then try those games.
---
"Dragon Age 2 will last a while and with that head injury there is a chance you might enjoy it" -seb03
#3DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 5:36:43 AM
If you're only an hour into torchlight then no it won't freeze. You have very few enemies on screen and hardly any effects going on. At that point, your frame rate even stays at 30-40.

Where I am on the other hand, the frame rate is lucky to go over 10. There are usually no less than 25 monsters on screen at any given time, multiple buffs on myself, and a lot of exploding bodies all at once.

Can you tell me exactly what clearing the cache removes? Does all my dlc disappear? Are there any negative effects that clearing my cache might have?
---
#4RPG_ApostlePosted 7/22/2011 5:44:44 AM
You don't lose DLC, but patches will likely have to be re-downloaded.

Clearing the cache basically.... Ok, I'll explain it this way:

Your hard drive is a sink. Your 360 is a garbage disposal. The cache is the drain leading to the disposal. If you clear out the drain, things flow smoother.

That's the easiest explanation, and at the same time, a dumb one. I didn't get much sleep, sue me.

As far as I'm aware there are no negative side effects besides the pain of re-downloading patches.
---
"Dragon Age 2 will last a while and with that head injury there is a chance you might enjoy it" -seb03
#5DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 6:07:19 AM
Like disk cleanup or clearing cookies then. Gotcha. I don't mind downloading patches again, I'm patient.

Honestly, I shouldn't be spending money, but I'm looking for an excuse to buy a slim 250gb :P a 20gb hdd is REALLY hard to put up with these days since my DLC is piling up and I always install games when I want to play them.

Maybe on black friday...
---
#6RPG_ApostlePosted 7/22/2011 6:14:50 AM
Ha ha ha. You and me are in the same boat, TC. Like you I have the old white model and HD space is at a premium. Plus, we both know our consoles are kinda fading out, just like all electronics do.

Trying to convince the wife that the Gears of War 360 is a good investment isn't going well. :'(

Hopefully she'll warm up to the new Star Wars model. Lol
---
#7DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 6:19:34 AM
I'm just overly responsible. I have plenty of money and no obligations except college, which I already have covered, but somewhere along the road I might need it.

I dunno about ALL electronics though... My snes and my gamecube are still flawless. My snes is about 18 years old now. Still runnin like a mother trucker.
---
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 7/22/2011 6:25:21 AM
Nature of the beast, with more complex consoles.Yeah, it sounds like you box is on the ropes.

@Apostle, sleep or no that's a good analogy, if you don't want nuts and bolts.
---
Everything's better with zombies. Except pie.
#9DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 6:27:23 AM(edited)
Having never cleared the cache in all the 5 years I've had this beast, I wonder if I can improve the frame rate of my games.
---