This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My slim has stopped reading my disks..

#1Devlin_BowmanPosted 7/24/2011 4:40:19 AM
So, i was playing this morning and decided to play a different game. I go to the dashboard and take out my game, put in mortal kombat, and close the tray and ever since that moment my xbox has stopped reading all disks. I was wondering if its normal for drives to just fail out of the blue like that without warning.

Also, I have a 250GB Slim and i install all of my games to the HD. I can't imagine how this has happened unless not using the drive enough has made it faulty.
---
Ha ha ha ha ha *farts* ... -_-
#2RycerXPosted 7/24/2011 4:44:03 AM
Tried the troubleshooter?
http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/troubleshoot/hardware/disc-drive-wizard.aspx
#3Devlin_Bowman(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2011 5:01:17 AM
I hadn't tried it until you posted that link. Having tried all that has pretty much confirmed my suspicion that the drive is garbage now.

Thanks. :(
---
#4Stubee88Posted 7/24/2011 6:26:48 AM
Have you tried using a DVD cleaning kit? They are dirt cheap and fixed the problem for me.
#5RycerXPosted 7/24/2011 6:41:37 AM
You might give this a shot. I can't vouch for this method personally, but it seemed to work for many people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOehFQmnFME
#6Devlin_Bowman(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 5:59:31 AM
RycerX posted...
You might give this a shot. I can't vouch for this method personally, but it seemed to work for many people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOehFQmnFME

Tried it, No results.

Stubee88 posted...
Have you tried using a DVD cleaning kit? They are dirt cheap and fixed the problem for me.

Upon reading that i acutally went to wal-mart and got one. The Xbox wouldn't recognize the disc.

Also, I feel that is quite conveinent for my Xbox to have some problems a mere 11 days after my warranty was up.

Don't know what to do as i cant afford to have it repaired or replaced. I'm even thinking about trying a switcharoo at walmart. (don't judge me.)
---
#7TheMuffinPosted 7/25/2011 6:03:51 AM
In those circumstances, even my white knighting ass wouldn't judge you.
---
Gabrius ~Hedro, tank you for cawling xbox suppaaart, my neem is THOMAS, hawl cun I heeelp you?
#8Devlin_Bowman(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 6:04:00 AM
Not only that, 4 days ago i bought a 12 month subscription from the dashboard which i am unable to reap the benefits of.

I feel like Microsoft is trying to bend me over.
---
#9Devlin_Bowman(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:16:48 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10CapwnDPosted 7/28/2011 11:39:22 PM(edited)
I still hate M$ and during the next generation of systems i'm going with a sony..

lol.

I feel for you. But Sony? Let me tell you about that.

Just after one year, my PS3 drive dies. $187 to fix it. So now that's $687 spent. 2 years later it dies completely. Had to buy a new system, $300. $987 and all I have is one PS3 and a brick to show for it.

Had I done the same thing with a 360 you'd be looking at $300 for the system, a free repair for up to 3 years or a $100 repair, or you could replace it for $200. Much cheaper.

And you'd have no problem getting your data back. With a dead PS3 you're screwed if you don't have a current backup of your data.

So good luck with that. Did you even try to get it fixed or did you just assume that your warranty was expired?
---
As Above, So Below