This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My slim has stopped reading my disks..

#11Devlin_Bowman(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:44:38 PM
Well, I had my original reciept in hand when i called microsoft about the repair. They confirmed that i was a few days over warranty. The guy said he'd talk to someone about trying to get me a courtesy repair. (they called 2 days later and told me they wouldn't)

I'll probably go with microsoft again during the next gen. It's just frustrating that this is my 5th Xbox ya know?
---
Ha ha ha ha ha *farts* ... -_-
#12CapwnDPosted 7/28/2011 11:51:54 PM
I've never been asked for a receipt from MS for a repair. I dunno. Sounds strange. I've had a 360 fixed 3.5 years later with no problems at all. Never needed a receipt.
---
As Above, So Below
#13CapwnDPosted 7/29/2011 12:03:32 AM(edited)
Also strange because they should have recorded the serial number of the one they sold you, and they should have scanned your bad one and noticed the discrepancy. I'm not saying you're lying, but it's a string of events that doesn't sound consistent to how it usually works.
---
As Above, So Below
#14RycerXPosted 7/29/2011 1:01:05 AM
Yeah, I'd say you got lucky. The staff must have been highly incompetent. I knew someone who got away with swapping out a busted PS2 years ago, but I'd imagine most places have gotten wise to that sort of thing by now. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they knew what you were up to and decided to let it slide out of sympathy, lol. Walmart has a reputation for not treating their employees too well I hear.
#15popping4itPosted 7/29/2011 1:54:32 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16popping4itPosted 7/29/2011 2:13:25 AM(edited)
problem is that the drive is the only major moving part of the console but as a result is the most susceptible to failure.

there are so many things that can go wrong. the laser could be burned out, the lens could be dirty, the lens could be misaligned, the drive motor may burn out or isnt spinning fast enough,the magnet to lock the disc in place could be broken, the disc could be slipping while rotating making the rotation unpredictable, the drive may be overheated, the gears on the laser assembly could be worn out or not sufficiently lubricated, the drive may be misreading a disk and is getting a false positive for its security sector, the firmware could be malfunctioning, or the drive key was changed.

all optical based console all have problems to some degree with disc read errors. ps1 and ps2 were extremely infamous for drives that would break down and ps3 also since they have separate optics for blu-ray and dvds.
---
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8_fqr0Nqos