This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people like games where you have to stand and shoot?

#1SpaceKungFuManPosted 7/26/2011 6:50:06 AM
I've been playing FPS since catacombs, but I just don't like most modern FPS games, and I think it is because of the slower pacing. I get that standing and shooting is more realistic than shooting from the hip, but Doom style play is just more fun imo. I want to see games ditch the stand and shoot mechanic, along with the 2 weapon limit, regenerating health/shields (for games striving for realism, that makes NO sense) and the generally slower pace.

What is it that people see in these types of games, vs the Doom/unreal tournament style of play?
---
Fallout 3: Or how I learned to stop caring and love the bland.
#2desert_santaPosted 7/26/2011 6:53:19 AM
I actually prefer the slower pace. For some reason older FPS games leave me dizzy since you turn so fast!
#3FocianPosted 7/26/2011 6:55:44 AM
I like it when you have *options*.

If I want to stand still and shoot, I would like to be heavily armoured and heavily armed. Run around shooting? Fine, but at a cost of health or possible weapons carried. Something like that is what I personally prefer.
---
GT/PSN: Focian-
People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. Chaos is born from loving things, and using people.
#4ArthasRebornPosted 7/26/2011 6:57:20 AM
Preference, really. Same reason why some people like arcade-style old-school shooters. I play both, but I tend to go for more tactical shooters.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn http://i49.tinypic.com/32znxno.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/4rrggy.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/af7sdj.jpg
#5SpaceKungFuMan(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2011 6:58:09 AM
Focian posted...
I like it when you have *options*.

If I want to stand still and shoot, I would like to be heavily armoured and heavily armed. Run around shooting? Fine, but at a cost of health or possible weapons carried. Something like that is what I personally prefer.

That sounds reasonable. Are there any games like that? To be clear, I'm asking if there are games where shooting from the hip is just as accurate as standing to aim, and the tradeoff is just available weapons/armor.
---
#6Cinn_kentsu89Posted 7/26/2011 6:58:21 AM
Old fps are just that old. Most of us played them to death back then and these are the new fps style.

I loved halo 1 and 2, 3 was alright but then in that gap I got hooked on aiming down my sight and proning. So when reach came out it was so boring and slower than even halo 1. "really I have to walk across this big grass field at a slower pace than previous halos unless I choose the sprint perk?!?!"
---
GT: CleansingMoon
#7FocianPosted 7/26/2011 7:07:10 AM

That sounds reasonable. Are there any games like that? To be clear, I'm asking if there are games where shooting from the hip is just as accurate as standing to aim, and the tradeoff is just available weapons/armor.

Brink emphasises hip firing. Halo (before Reach) is similar, excluding Snipers and BRs.

Shadowrun probably has the best system for this though, in my opinion (surprise surprise...). The weapons have different weights, so if you choose one of the stronger races, you can run around less inhibited by them.

Choose a weaker/faster class and you'll be lumbered down by the heavier weapons. What I love about this is that it doesn't simply limit your choice, but it often is a 'better' idea to pick something appropriate. It offers the equivalent of a suggestion, rather than a restriction.
---
GT/PSN: Focian-
People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. Chaos is born from loving things, and using people.
#8SpaceKungFuMan(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2011 7:32:41 AM
Cinn_kentsu89 posted...
Old fps are just that old. Most of us played them to death back then and these are the new fps style.

I loved halo 1 and 2, 3 was alright but then in that gap I got hooked on aiming down my sight and proning. So when reach came out it was so boring and slower than even halo 1. "really I have to walk across this big grass field at a slower pace than previous halos unless I choose the sprint perk?!?!"

But old does not mean bad anymore than new equals good. Put another way, if there were characteristics of a game you liked, and then the new games changed all those characteristics, is there any reason to assume you'd like the new game just because it is nominally in the same genre, or did not change every aspect? I love playing "old" fps because of the frantic pace, and those moments where you're almost dead and don't know how to get out of the situation. You can't have those moments in most new games, so they're just not as much fun to me. This is all my opinion of course, but I miss older games. I LOVED borderlands, which actually felt the most like an older fps of any game I've played this gen, even with the loot mechanic (which was also a blast).
---
#9dannyaqPosted 7/26/2011 8:39:21 AM
Most of those older games had heavy auto aim or you couldn't aim. Up or.down, or there was little need to do so. Without auto aim those games have control issues.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#10MRL3G3NDPosted 7/26/2011 9:11:46 AM
since real tactical shooters are extinct I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The purpose of standing and shooting is to get the most accurate shot...but who cares in an arcade shooter?

The best thing about real tactical shooters is that they weren't mindless run and gun spawn 20 times affairs...

You had one life just like real life, and with that single factor things become a lot more tense, and critical. Shootouts become chess matches, and if you make a mistake you had to wait until next round. That makes the stakes higher, and luck goes out of the window..real life tactics make sense and actually WORK.

IMO It's far better than run shoot die, run shoot die, run shoot die, run shoot KILL die. Before run and gun they were called TWITCH shooters because whoever had the fastest reaction usually won the exchange.

I like tactical shooters because you have to consider a bunch of factors before you even pull the trigger. You stance, your cover, the distance(long distance or cqb?), their weapon (is there weapon better suited for this exchange than yours?), your weapons capabilities (rapid fire or single shot)...and lastly the accuracy.

in cod people don't care about all of that, they just run with the gun they get the most easiest kills with.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I miss tactical shooters...the only one worth playing is on the PC (ARMA 2)..and I wish they had something like it on the consoles
---
Tactical Gaming At It's Best!!!!
Tora Bora Assault-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16TrLl9Ykk