This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

should XBOX 360 get N64 type expansion deck/pack?

#21maga powerPosted 7/31/2011 11:42:22 PM
the only way to attach such an upgrade to the 360 is USB, and USB2.0 is too slow for anything to effectively give the 360 hardware a boost to the point where it would be worth while.

on top of that, doing it would cut the amount of people you could sell your game to vastly, and on top of that, the market penetration would be no where near what the kinect is.
this idea would fail before it launched.
---
gamefaqs message boards are essentially just a really big comments section. agree or disagree?
http://card.mygamercard.net/Maga+Power.png
#22Super CreaturesPosted 8/1/2011 12:29:28 AM
The issue however is that an addon can't really be used to allow things that the original system flat out couldn't: for example expanding RAM means that the game would have to either cut down features when the expansion isn't present, or not use the extra RAM at all. So it would need to affect an aspect that's scalable down the the original console, such as rendering/texture resolution, framerate, or antialiasing.

There is always that third option, which the N64 did for a number of games in regards to the expansion pack, and that would be, the game not being able to run at all without it.

Go try to play Majora's Mask or, I believe, Donkey Kong 64 on an N64 without the expansion pack and see what happens, it can't be done.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#23SODISPosted 8/1/2011 12:52:02 AM
niamahai posted...
the Kinect is the 360's rumble pack imo.

I agree. Instead of having different hardware, we have different forms of interactivity to reinvent the wheel for how to use old hardware for new uses.
---
NIER
#24d209999Posted 8/1/2011 3:41:35 AM
fustmonkey posted...
Did we not learn anything from the sega 32x and sega cd?
*looks at Kinect's success*

Well....

Haters gonna hate
---
"I only remember those that I talk to often, or that are particularly irritating."
#25SragentThomPosted 8/1/2011 8:32:48 AM
"Its so ridiculous considering how cheap ram is. Next system should have like 8gb of ram."

Honestly do you really think the same ram in consoles is the same in PCs?
---
Halo fans are like the Zerg. They'll attack in infinite numbers, and will attack anything that is not their own kind.
"Sherardy"
#26FoppePosted 8/1/2011 8:54:20 AM
SragentThom posted...
"Its so ridiculous considering how cheap ram is. Next system should have like 8gb of ram."

Honestly do you really think the same ram in consoles is the same in PCs?

They are made the same way...
The difference is that the RAM chips are soldered into the console motherboard while it's soldered into a module for computer owners.
Or if we look at the old Xbox then we will see a real 64 MB DDR SDRAM module that you easily could switch out to a bigger RAM module.
...which was useless since only a few homebrew programs could use that extra memory...

Anyway, console RAM does not need the module part, which means that it technically is cheaper to create console RAM compared to computer RAM...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#27SragentThomPosted 8/1/2011 12:06:58 PM
Xbox was only one example. Any ways I was referring to the TYPE of MEMORY that the current gen consoles was using. Way more expensive it self than PC RAM.
---
Halo fans are like the Zerg. They'll attack in infinite numbers, and will attack anything that is not their own kind.
"Sherardy"
#28FoppePosted 8/1/2011 12:24:58 PM
SragentThom posted...
Xbox was only one example. Any ways I was referring to the TYPE of MEMORY that the current gen consoles was using. Way more expensive it self than PC RAM.

Xbox 360 use GDDR3.
Wii use GDDR3.
PS3 use both XDR DRAM and GDDR3.

Both are still pretty cheap.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC