This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

360 slim wont turn on but makes the beep turning on sound

#1Five BlowsPosted 7/28/2011 12:15:52 AM
My 360 slim will once in a while makes a beep sound when I push the power button. The system wont turn on though so it's kinda weird.

My power supply have the orange light and I tried it without my hard drive in there. This doesn't usually happens but when it does I'm kind of curious.

Any1 know why?
---
"You're pretty strong, and the move. The one you did back there... BEAUTIFUL!!!" - Viewtiful Joe
#2CapwnDPosted 7/28/2011 12:19:08 AM(edited)
Possibly an HDMI issue. It turns on but doesn't boot up if there's an HDMI problem. (doesn't mean it's necessarily a serious problem, but an HDCP handshake issue)

Assuming you do use HDMI, do you have the TV on the correct input or do you have the receiver and TV on the correct settings when you turn on the 360?
---
As Above, So Below
#3Five Blows(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 12:23:10 AM
yeah I use HDMI and u might be on to something. I use my PC monitor so when I turn on my 360, it's usually on DVI. Then, I change it to HDMI.

I'll try it out and see what happens. Guess I never noticed it
---
"You're pretty strong, and the move. The one you did back there... BEAUTIFUL!!!" - Viewtiful Joe
#4CapwnDPosted 7/28/2011 12:33:54 AM
Your PC monitor may not like being on the input that's not active, and may switch back to analog. But it's worth a try to see what's going on.

Another thing you may want to try messing with is Display Discovery. But be warned that if your PC monitor doesn't support the default video settings (which I think is 480p) then you may get black screened if you disable it, where it boots up but you have no video. I have some tips here which may be relevant (on a different subject, but it deals with Display Discovery and the dangers of disabling it and why you may want to disable it).

http://s1.zetaboards.com/FewGoodMen/topic/2635085/

**Warning - If your monitor doesn't support 480p then don't disable Display Discovery because you may not be able to get back to settings which your monitor supports. This is especially relevant in computer monitors that support the specific resolutions other than 480p, 720p, and 1080**

If you're using HDMI, there's a setting in your VIDEO display settings called Display Discovery. Turn that off. Your system will reboot.

If your screen is now black, then your monitor isn't working with the resolution anymore, since you disabled Display Discovery. This is easily fixed:

As the console starts, press and hold the Y button as you pull the right trigger.

Then go to your display settings and pick the best display, it should be the native resolution of your TV or monitor.

Now go to your audio settings and select either 5.1 or 2.0 or the WMA option.

To test your sound, go to the dashboard and move from item to item, or bring up your guide from the dashboard. If you hear a popping sound or each sound doesn't register then something still isn't right
---
As Above, So Below
#5CapwnDPosted 7/28/2011 12:42:04 AM(edited)
Sorry I should probably expand more on that post... it's confusing enough when we're talking about sound which is what it was intended for in the first place.

The point is, Display Discovery can screw with your audio and can give you HDCP issues when you have nothing to discover, which is what it sounds like is going on in your case. Then again HDMI is funny that way anyways, so display discovery may not matter in your case.
---
As Above, So Below