This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

From Dust could of been amazing if it was a sandbox game.

#1knightimexPosted 7/28/2011 11:15:52 AM
When I first heard about from dusk I envisioned a game where you can fully create landscapes to your liking.

Like:
1. Build mountains
2. Add grass
3.. create lakes
4. have more material to work with than what's available.
5. Create rivers and vallies
6. have an effect on weather and natural disasters etc.
7. Basically a build something awesome game.

hmm.....

I think they missed it.
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#2The_Dark_Slay3rPosted 7/28/2011 11:17:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-building_game
#3xXHighBoostXxPosted 7/28/2011 11:29:43 AM(edited)
knightimex posted...
When I first heard about from dusk I envisioned a game where you can fully create landscapes to your liking.

Like:
1. Build mountains
2. Add grass
3.. create lakes
4. have more material to work with than what's available.
5. Create rivers and vallies
6. have an effect on weather and natural disasters etc.
7. Basically a build something awesome game.

hmm.....

I think they missed it.

You can do all of that... You just have to beat the game first.
#4knightimex(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2011 11:30:08 AM
The_Dark_Slay3r posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-building_game

what does sim city have to do with landscaping?
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#5TheMuffinPosted 7/28/2011 11:55:12 AM
I find myself agreeing with you more often then I would like knightmex. This being one of those times. As I stated in another topic, I thought this game was going to be a spiritual successor to Black & White.
---
Gabrius ~Hedro, tank you for cawling xbox suppaaart, my neem is THOMAS, hawl cun I heeelp you?
#6Dragon NexusPosted 7/28/2011 11:59:39 AM(edited)
Why oh why do people keep making the "Black and White" reference?
Not once did they suggest that. What, because it has villagers? Because you control a cursor?

They never said you'd have Miracles. They never showed off a creature. They never said you'd fight rival gods. They never said you'd build houses and raise an army. Nothing associated with Black & White was listed as a feature.

If this is anything, it's a spiritual successor to Populus. The point of the game is to shape the landscape using tools such as sand, water, lava and others and protect the people from the world.

If you went into it thinking it was going to be something it isn't, that's your fault for failing to do enough research, not the game's or the developer's.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#7TheMuffinPosted 7/28/2011 12:07:13 PM
I based my idea of what it would be on the fact you play a "god" with a bunch of villagers that idolize you. Even the inside xbox video doesn't state it's level based. It mentions that you have to create solutions using the land and your resources, but never does it say, oh you just try to get these guys to this and then move to the next level.

That is, at it's core, why I was thinking it sounds like B&W. Regardless, I didn't say the game is bad. I just said it wasn't what I was expecting based on the information I was shown through the dashboard.
---
Gabrius ~Hedro, tank you for cawling xbox suppaaart, my neem is THOMAS, hawl cun I heeelp you?
#8Afro1989Posted 7/28/2011 12:16:06 PM

really????
---
"we live in a culture where people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing." (x_x)
#9xXHighBoostXxPosted 7/28/2011 12:30:42 PM
Scarface38 posted...

really????

Yeah, You get a blank canvas to do as you please on the very last level. And it saves your progress so you can come back to your creation and modify it as long as you please.

Or you can end it like any other level if you want and start a new world.
You have the option to unleash tsunamis or volcanoes, build mountains, waterfalls, villages lakes, rivers, jungles you name it. Then you can burn it all to the ground, wash it all away or just let the world evolve over time.

I spent 4 hours this morning just building rivers and watching the mountains erode away with the water.
#10RockguyKevPosted 7/28/2011 12:51:57 PM
Joystiq said all of this in their review three days ago.