This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do reviews influence your buying desions on games?

#1andizzle29662Posted 7/28/2011 12:55:59 PM
For me, I buy the games that im most looking foward to regardless of reviews, but for the most part i love reading multiple reviews on games that im interested on before throwing down 60 dollars. I usually read ign, gametrailers, and nintendolife. What about you guys?
---
Support Nintendo power! my 3ds fc is 4854-6458-9453
#2TreewallerPosted 7/28/2011 12:57:08 PM
Not even remotely
---
"Hey Sockbaby! You wanna food up with us or what?!"
Game o' the Moment: Hannah Montana - The Movie Game
#3shawnmckPosted 7/28/2011 1:00:09 PM
If there is a game that I'm interested in, then I will usually get it anyway, unless it get a real bad rating, and then I'll have second thoughts.
But for the most part, I watch Reviews for games that I am already on the fence about and am unsure about.

For example. I will get Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, etc, regardless of what Reviews say.
But will pay closer attention to games like Deus Ex: human Revolution, or whatnot.
Call of Juarez: the Cartel was one that I was unsure of and was thinking of not getting, but BAD Reviews clinched it for me.
#4natevinesPosted 7/28/2011 1:00:39 PM
Yeah, but only the extremes. Like DNF. It would've been an instant purchase for me if I hadn't seen the plethora of 4s and 5s. I would never just trust ONE site, though. But if a game gets consistently poor reviews from multiple publications, I'll probably pass on it.

It seems fashionable to have the "I'm a freethinker, I don't let anyone influence my opinion!" attitude on these forums, but if I were to purchase every single game I was remotely interested in, I wouldn't be able to eat.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#5bluehat94Posted 7/28/2011 1:04:01 PM
only if the general consensus is that its a bad game, like most of the time ill buy a game that i like, and a couple of bad scores wont put me off, but when i see 20-30 negative reviews, i wait until a demo comes out unless one is already released and i see what im getting into
---
"Dude nevermind. You simply dont have the cognitive capacity to comprehend whats going on here."-xXHighBoostXx
#6FFTHEWINNERPosted 7/28/2011 1:08:58 PM
Treewaller posted...
Not even remotely
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER
WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
#7kungfuj0Posted 7/28/2011 1:12:03 PM
I am kinda like shawnmck.

There are certain games that I KNOW I'm going to get...Forza 4, Saint's Row 3, ME3, etc. For those games, I don't even read the reviews until I am a good piece into the games. Then I'll read the reviews and see if I agree with them or not.

For other games that I am not sure about, I'll read multiple reviews and check sites like gamefaqs here to see what the consensus is. I'll also look at trailors and video reviews and such, and I'll make my decision based on that. If I am still undecided, I'll just rent the thing instead of buying it.
---
Kungfuj0
#8dannyaqPosted 7/28/2011 1:13:17 PM
yes, and to those saying no, what does influence which games you look forward to?
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#9SquallWindbladePosted 7/28/2011 1:16:53 PM
Treewaller posted...
Not even remotely
---
Current field of study: Game Software Development
SOLVING ALL PROBLEMS WITH THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF BLOODSHED IS JUST THE FURBY WAY.
#10vigorm0rtisPosted 7/28/2011 1:16:59 PM
Somewhat. If I don't know much about a game, a good reviewer will describe gameplay, features, content etc. I'll read a few and can walk away with a decent idea of what I'm getting. What they have to say about whether a game is good or not really doesn't influence much.
---
Everything's better with zombies. Except pie.