This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alot of JRPG's Sucked this gen.

#1SpootmzPosted 7/30/2011 2:01:42 PM
First off, I'll name the ones that I thought were sick:

Lost Odyssey
and I guess The Last Remnant.

I was really looking foward to a good turn based FF7 or FF12 Fighting style.
I was also really looking foward to good characters with good voice acting. Sadly, almost all of the JRPG's this gen had neither.
Im not trolling, I'm being serious. If you think there are some good JRPG's out there with good Music, good characters, story, and fighting, please, don't be afraid to give them a shoutout. also list some reasons why there good.
I know there are alot more JRPG's that I'm probably forgetting.
---
GT-- Spootmz
#2Worker_8_Posted 7/30/2011 2:03:27 PM
Eternal Sonata wasn't bad. Even had a new game + mode that was missing from most JRPGs this gen. But I agree, JRPGs have been severely lacking in both quantity and quality.
#3Izick_the_SpyPosted 7/30/2011 2:04:14 PM
I'm playing FF XIII right now. It's okay. It's honestly the first jrpg I'm playing through, or at least all the way through.

The story is a bit tedious, since 75% is told through datalog text.

Battle system is fun enough.

Not a fan of linearity, but it's fine in a game like this I suppose.
---
How Neogaf views the Gamefaqs community- http://i.imgur.com/PdVEd.png
#4CapnStankyPosted 7/30/2011 2:04:38 PM
Western game devs rule gaming now. Thank god.
#5link0316Posted 7/30/2011 2:09:22 PM
Its a dead genre unfortunately. Thats why i still have a ps2.
---
GT : evilresident316
Playing : Dragon Age Origins
#6Justice98405Posted 7/30/2011 2:09:23 PM
"Not a fan of linearity, but it's fine in a game like this I suppose."

Interesting.
I'm fine with linearity in a sports game. I don't want my running back to burst out of the stadium, and switch over to a FPS.
In a racing game, that's what you do, race, so makes sense.
Same for fighting games, that's what you are playing it for. To fight.
Many action-adventure games are fine if they are linear, as long as they give you options and depth, which many do.
But RPG's. ROLE-playing-games. I want as MUCH freedom as possible, as that's the whole concept behind what RPG means. Linearity doesn't give you freedom. Can it still be fun as a videogame? Sure. But games that give you lots of freedom, Elder Scrolls games, the Fallout games, Baldur's Gate games (Bioware's) and really Bioware games in general, all in example, give you freedom and more choice and less lineaerity, and that's GOOD for this genre.
Like I said, it can be a good game still, but I'd never say that it's 'fine in a game like this I suppose' :)
I'm just saying.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#7Izick_the_SpyPosted 7/30/2011 2:15:53 PM
But these JRPG's aren't RPG's to me at all, tbh.

They're more like an adventure game with RPG elements.

An RPG to me is something that offers lot's of freedom, choices (especially in dialogue), lots of loot, and something where you can change and effect the story.

Games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, and KOTOR are RPG's to me.

(May be ignorant, but I have said I never have really played a jrpg before, but have seen LOT'S of videos and stuff about them.)
---
How Neogaf views the Gamefaqs community- http://i.imgur.com/PdVEd.png
#8Justice98405Posted 7/30/2011 2:21:42 PM
"But these JRPG's aren't RPG's to me at all, tbh.

They're more like an adventure game with RPG elements.

An RPG to me is something that offers lot's of freedom, choices (especially in dialogue), lots of loot, and something where you can change and effect the story."

Essentially I agree with you totally.
But it's also about what perspective you come from when it comes to videogames and RPG's.
I'm a table-top gamer. Used to be 2nd Edition AD&D, now I'm all about GURPS 4th Edition. Because ofthat, like you, I want freedom, choice, dialogue options (that matter), the ability to change the story/characters/relationshps as much as a game can allow, etc.
But not everyone looks at it that way.
Strickly as a 'videogame', an RPG is essentially a story and character focused game with a leveling/stat/loot progression system and combat/conflict in order to make significant gains in the game. That's why games like the Final Fantasy games are RPG's.
It's all in how you look at it. :)
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#9FeelMyBladePosted 7/30/2011 2:24:10 PM
Most JRPGs are terrible, especially this generation.
---
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41.aspx
Have a good laugh.
#10darkharePosted 7/30/2011 2:33:25 PM
I wouldnt say jrpgs suck this gen, i think they're the same as they were last gen and the gen before. thats the problem...
---
all 360 games should have a demo. lets put revieweres out of business.