This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EB/Gamestop trade in (Another WTF? story)

#1ColtsFanNickPosted 7/30/2011 6:29:14 PM
Last weekend, I went to Gamestop for a points card (took advantage of the GTA discounted DLC). Stapled to my receipt was a promo flyer for game trade ins. On there was Duke Nukem Forever, with a 35$ trade in value. I thought this was perfect for my friend, who preordered the game and already got all the achievements (he's pretty OCD with achievements).

So today, after he was only offered 25$ at Gamestop, despite citing the flyer on the phone, I gave him the flyer and he went into Gamestop with it. Despite the bold print saying "35$ Trade in Credit on Duke Nukem Forever" (complete with picture) and "Offer valid July 3rd-30th", Gamestop refused to give him the 35$. They used some BS excuse of "We got a call from corporate only to give 25$, because too many people were trading it in". He proceeded to tell the manager and employee to basically go f themselves, and traded it in at another store (for only 20$ at a local electronics store, but, he was riding high on morality).

Point of the matter, is there anywhere I could take this up to? It's not the customers fault that a corporation over-valued a game that ended up bombing. It's clear in print, and they still refused to honor their deal. Again, its not about the money as much as it is about saying **** you to Gamestop at this point.
---
GH3 FC- 2363-3787-8859
XBox 360 GT- ColtsFanNick
#2natevinesPosted 7/30/2011 6:31:22 PM
If you look at the fine print they usually say those things are subject to change.

Anyway, $35 dollars for Gamestop to take DNF off your hands is pretty incredible. A week after the game came out it was pretty easy to buy it used online for like $30, let alone now. Even $25 is good.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#3Shy420Posted 7/30/2011 6:33:58 PM
What they did was illegal. If I were you I would tell your friend to call corporate and complain being that he has the flyer. I'm guessing though your friend will be a bit too immature to handle speaking with other adults in a civilized way. Does he often resort to profanity when things don't go his way?
---
"Things aren't different. Things are just things." -Wintermute
#4Wizzl241Posted 7/30/2011 6:45:27 PM
No, it's not illegal. Most businesses, GameStop included, have a disclaimer which explains that an offer like this one can change without notice.
---
Parks and Recreation is the best show on TV
Give me Mega Man or give me death
#5ColtsFanNick(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 6:52:35 PM
What they did was illegal. If I were you I would tell your friend to call corporate and complain being that he has the flyer. I'm guessing though your friend will be a bit too immature to handle speaking with other adults in a civilized way. Does he often resort to profanity when things don't go his way?
----

Bad turn of phrase on my part by saying "he basically told them to go f themselves". He didn't literally tell them to go f themselves, but he did say that they'd never get his business again, their practice was wrong, tell everyone not to shop there, etc... Saying "he basically told them to go f themselves" was just a short, easy phrase to turn in order to simplify, which backfired into confusion.

Still though, not honoring a flying a week after its been put out? Lame.
---
GH3 FC- 2363-3787-8859
#6Carte360Posted 7/30/2011 6:52:38 PM
It could be illegal, only if the flyer doesn't mention that is subject to change, if it does then they are allowed to change it.

Anyway check the flyer and get back to us.
---
Pokemon FC: 0904-5158-2126
Yeah I am a Christian, but not the kind you think you know.
#7ColtsFanNick(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2011 7:02:39 PM(edited)
Hopefully, he didn't throw it out in anger. If not, Ill report back with details

Looking on the website, which I think contains the same terms as the flyer, says the deal may be discontinued at anytime.... Again, lame.
---
GH3 FC- 2363-3787-8859
#8chocoboblue99Posted 7/30/2011 6:59:43 PM
Should of got there early then
#9her0finityPosted 7/30/2011 7:08:54 PM
and traded it in at another store (for only 20$ at a local electronics store, but, he was riding high on morality).

lol, riding high on morality. he sure showed them.
---
I hope someone sets you on fire her0- MadcowVII
oh hero will you marry me- star52789x2
#10Carte360Posted 7/30/2011 7:09:25 PM
well thats gamestop for you, always looking to make a quick buck, but then again so is every company... :/

sorry this happened to your friend TC.
---
Pokemon FC: 0904-5158-2126
Yeah I am a Christian, but not the kind you think you know.