This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having this (hopefully) minor annoyance with the 360 blacking out.

#1DieMyBridePosted 7/31/2011 4:25:07 AM
ok so i was playing DA:O and a few times the screen goes black but comes back on. could this be a issue with the HDMI cable i'm using? i have checked the cables to make sure they are fully in. i do have DA:O installed and patched btw. i think this also happened when playing Bioshock 2.
---
"Resentment is like drinking poison, but waiting for the other person to die." - Carrie Fisher
#2DieMyBride(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 8:09:44 AM
bump
---
"Resentment is like drinking poison, but waiting for the other person to die." - Carrie Fisher
#3cremasterfanPosted 7/31/2011 8:47:59 AM
I had this exact same problem: there is no need to worry, it is harmless. You will never guess what it is, it took me ages to figure it out... on some televisions, if you have multiple things plugged into your tv, the signal will sometimes switch away from the xbox, causing a momentary 'black out'.

For me, when my free-view box turns itself on to record a programme which I have set to record, it blacks out for a split-second. I bet you have multiple things plugged into your tv, am I right?
---
www.exaggeration.co.uk
#4DuwstaiPosted 7/31/2011 9:25:11 AM(edited)
My old 360 started doing that a few weeks before it died.

I think the gpu fried or something. MS wouldnt cover it under the warranty because it wasnt RROD, but some other problem.

Look online and you will see a lot of people who have had 360s break in the same manner.

Cant say for sure if thats whats happening, but if it continues to get worse (ie longer black outs, much more frequent), then youre gonna be out of a 360.
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA, H2K CoBrA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#5CapwnDPosted 7/31/2011 9:32:53 AM(edited)

I had this exact same problem: there is no need to worry, it is harmless. You will never guess what it is, it took me ages to figure it out... on some televisions, if you have multiple things plugged into your tv, the signal will sometimes switch away from the xbox, causing a momentary 'black out'.

For me, when my free-view box turns itself on to record a programme which I have set to record, it blacks out for a split-second. I bet you have multiple things plugged into your tv, am I right?

If you're using HDMI and it happens when you turn on or off one of the things plugged into the TV I could maybe see this being the case.

I would lean towards what Duwstai said, or buy a new HDMI cable and see if that fixes the problem. If you get a 6 foot cable from monoprice.com for $4 or so you're pretty much guaranteed for it to work, and work as good as any cable out there 100 times it's price. You can go longer but you may want to get the thicker cables.
---
As Above, So Below
#6RageBattlePosted 7/31/2011 10:03:39 AM
I had something that sounds like this, and I eventually swapped in a new hdmi cable to see if it would do anything and I have yet to notice it happen again.
---
Lightsaber, ON!
#7DieMyBride(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2011 10:32:18 AM
cremasterfan posted...

actually thats correct i use the same tv for my 360 and PC
---