This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I get a Windows Phone for $200?

#31blakbird13Posted 8/1/2011 10:19:41 PM
I bought my droid phone for $200 I pay $25 a month and don't have a 2 year contract. I get 300 min. a month and unlimited internet.
I don't follow smartphones but I was reading about windows coming out with Mango soon. It's supposed to improve a lot on the current operating system..

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+Phone+7+Mango+Heats+Up+With+Plethora+of+Coming+Handsets/article22295.htm
#32strikebowler585Posted 8/1/2011 11:33:28 PM
I don't have a Windows Phone, so I'm going to base my judgment on what I've had.

I've had a Droid X for 7 months and it was pretty cool at first, but it has just enough problems to make the smartphone not worth it. I guess upgrading hardware and software downgrades load times and reliability. It even got stuck in reboot and I had to wipe the memory. Antivirus software also slows the phone way down, but it's not quite needed as of yet. I think the X2 fixed most of the crippled features of the X (such as the features on HDMI out), but again, not worth it.

The Droid X was the best hardware, though. Didn't have one scratch, dropped it many times without anything breaking, and the physical buttons are in perfect condition. One of the battery door hinges broke, but there are 7 of them, and I'm pretty sure it broke do to user error (I think I tested it too hard).

And about the $200 Windows phone, based on what I have read and heard about it, think of the 2 above paragraphs (Droid X segments), but about 2x worse.

I think I'm gonna just get a free feature phone, then something else for all the other features that the smartphones have (such as an iPod Touch equivalent). Seriously, I don't want my phone to lag when all I wanna do at that moment is text and talk. I miss the instantaneous load times of the features on my old feature phone (enV2). My only problem was the random shut-offs that I would get from it.

I am not getting handheld Apple products because of the countless hardware defects that I have seen as a result of dropping them 12 inches from the ground.
#33airfoemoePosted 8/2/2011 12:01:19 AM
strikebowler585 posted...
I don't have a Windows Phone, so I'm going to base my judgment on what I've had.

I've had a Droid X for 7 months and it was pretty cool at first, but it has just enough problems to make the smartphone not worth it. I guess upgrading hardware and software downgrades load times and reliability. It even got stuck in reboot and I had to wipe the memory. Antivirus software also slows the phone way down, but it's not quite needed as of yet. I think the X2 fixed most of the crippled features of the X (such as the features on HDMI out), but again, not worth it.

The Droid X was the best hardware, though. Didn't have one scratch, dropped it many times without anything breaking, and the physical buttons are in perfect condition. One of the battery door hinges broke, but there are 7 of them, and I'm pretty sure it broke do to user error (I think I tested it too hard).

And about the $200 Windows phone, based on what I have read and heard about it, think of the 2 above paragraphs (Droid X segments), but about 2x worse.

I think I'm gonna just get a free feature phone, then something else for all the other features that the smartphones have (such as an iPod Touch equivalent). Seriously, I don't want my phone to lag when all I wanna do at that moment is text and talk. I miss the instantaneous load times of the features on my old feature phone (enV2). My only problem was the random shut-offs that I would get from it.

I am not getting handheld Apple products because of the countless hardware defects that I have seen as a result of dropping them 12 inches from the ground.

Just get a Droid 3 then, your droid phone should be faster based on the fact it won't have to load the virtual keyboard each time you want to type. Also you should read the mango reviews for Windows Phone 7, it's gotten much better. WP7 isn't a slow OS due to the fact it doesn't use multitasking, it tombstones any apps that you close out of.
---
http://www.schtserv.com/connect.php
^ go here if u wanna play Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube, Dreamcast,and PC (for free)
#34chocoboblue99Posted 8/2/2011 12:57:42 AM
If you do, get me one too! Thanks!
#35TheGam3925Posted 8/2/2011 1:47:16 AM
I got my 449 dollar android phone for around 100 dollars after rebates and store credit. It pwns WP7 and iphone.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#36cup_a_soupPosted 8/2/2011 2:22:23 AM(edited)
I have a Samsung Galaxy S II which I bought for 509, and I want a Windows 7 phone (namely the Samsung Omnia 7).

I will wait until the new update to Windows Phone 7 hits and more powerful phones come out for it. I like the Galaxy S II, but achievements play a big part in the games I play...

People recommending other stuff are silly.
---
XBL Gamertag: segagamer
Need to boost online achievements in Burnout Revenge!
#37darkshadowmasterPosted 8/2/2011 2:32:59 AM
GM_ posted...
Iceman83 posted...
I have a $10 basic cell phone. To you know, CALL people.

I make phone calls, text, post this message to you via my iPhone, download music, get emails, download apps, play games when I'm bored and out in public, stream YouTube videos, upload YouTube videos on the go, take pictures, use photobucket and many more things.

This.

My Droid X has been one of the best purchases I've made in awhile. Hell, sometimes when I'm browsing the games I will pull up reviews/youtube videos of a game I am looking at to see if it would interest me at all.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#38DefhimselfPosted 8/2/2011 4:32:17 AM
I bought the HTC Arrive with Windows OS and it has been well worth it. I paid $99 at Best Buy and had to signed a new contract but it's worth it to have the Windows over anything else for me. I enjoy being able to get acheevos on the go and the Marketplace isnt that bad. And when I want to see what my friends are playing when Im not home I can just look on my phone and also change my Avatars clothes on the go too. I also had a ZUNE HD but it got ran over by a car but with this phone it uses the ZUNE software player so I could just simply sync all my music to it. Its a Mid level smart phone but Im getting my moneys worth with Windows because it has everything I wanted and could use.
---
I touched a clown and now I'm going to jail. I hope they let me keep my BEARD!i!. The Biggest Miz hater on GameFAQs.
#39SuperSuikodenPosted 8/2/2011 6:34:27 AM
Get Samsung Galaxy 2 better with Android and it's cheaper I think.
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed