This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It really eats me up to be evil in games.

#1DarkKnghtAnonPosted 8/7/2011 2:42:41 PM
Im playing inFamous right now and everytime I kill people instead of save them I feel like I'm not the playing the game right. I'm only doing it to get the trophies. Same thing in ME, I've played the game through 4 times now on full paragon. The one time I tried out renegade it felt forced, like I was making myself pick the wrong options. It's not only these games though, it happened with every game that gives you choices, in both Fallouts I was a savior at the end.

Maybe it's something more ingrained, for years we've been "saving the princess, saving the world." Now developers are saying no, if you want to kill the princess go right ahead, you wont get a game over, in fact you'll just get to see a different side of the story.

Does anyone else feel forced to play the evil side in a game just to see the alternate options?
---
pics (murals included) http://www.flickr.com/photos/33208775@N04/?saved=1
http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/shadowmoses05.png
#2LotrMorgothPosted 8/7/2011 2:45:01 PM
i agree with you and will maybe play the evil side once

i think its because being evil usually makes everyone hate you so despite having more money and, arguably, power; it doesn't really mean anything if people run away on sight or you look ugly (for some reason this always happens to evil people) or you can't persuade people to do what you want

i wish there was a more subtle evil
---
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -Bilbo
gamertag: smeaGollum4
#3MegagutsPosted 8/7/2011 2:45:38 PM
No. It's a game, I don't really think about it that in depth.
---
GT: ConfederateRokr
Live every week like it's shark week
#4Killah PriestPosted 8/7/2011 2:46:02 PM
most of the time yes

some games get the choices right tho where you never feel like one is the obvious good or evil choice until you see the consequence (or a meter that tells you lol)
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5DarkKnghtAnon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2011 2:52:01 PM
Killah Priest posted...
most of the time yes

some games get the choices right tho where you never feel like one is the obvious good or evil choice until you see the consequence (or a meter that tells you lol)

I feel like ME got some of these options right, for instance punching the reporter. Even though that's clearly a renegade option, it still feels like the right thing to do. You're trying to save the galaxy and she's throwing accusations at you. I like those choices the most I think, where there's a thin line between if what you do is wrong or right.
---
pics (murals included) http://www.flickr.com/photos/33208775@N04/?saved=1
http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/shadowmoses05.png
#6Killah PriestPosted 8/7/2011 2:55:04 PM(edited)
agreed, ME had some good choices, my character was still paragon when it came down to it but there were a lot of renegade choices that I agreed with.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7RE2LeonSPosted 8/7/2011 2:58:34 PM
Harvest a Little Sister in Bioshock 2 and let me know how you feel afterwards
---
If you're going to buy a Capcom title, buy it USED! GamerTag - RE2LeonS
#8Notch_EightPosted 8/7/2011 3:03:32 PM
I loved the smartass options in DA2, just an extension of myself.
---
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/notcheight/chally6.jpg
#9Dragon NexusPosted 8/7/2011 3:06:50 PM
Whenever I do a proper play through of a game, I either play good guy, or I play "What I would do", which sometimes means charging people for saving the cat from the tree instead of just smiling and going on my merry way.

But I do enjoy being evil now and then. It's VERY cathartic, especially in open world games like Prototype. Being given the powers to slice and dice, hurl, dismember, explode or crush dozens of civilians instantly is very satisfying some times.

The only times moral choice systems become annoying is when you get tangible bonuses from being one or the other, it kills the role playing aspect and just turns into forced replay value. I like to play how I want to play and see the outcome as I go, sometimes. If I HAVE to play all good or all evil in order to get the goodies, then that defeats the point in giving me a choice in the first place.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#10ninja rabbitPosted 8/7/2011 3:12:27 PM
I hate in most of these types of games where evil is either stupid evil, twirling-your-moustache type of evil, or it gives you only 2 choices.
---
"Heh, heh. Those darn ninjas. They're wacky." The Tick
XBL Gamertag: ninjarabbitmega