This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question Regarding Hard Drive

#1GSM11186Posted 8/8/2011 8:21:52 AM
So I have a pretty old school 360, one of the 20gb hard drive models. Most of my space on the hard drive is used up, so I can't download much in terms of TV shows or movies (I have a lot of game saves). My question is this: if I buy or rent a movie on the marketplace, would I be able to store it on a memory key or external hard drive and still be able to watch it?
#2GSM11186(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2011 9:16:15 AM
Bump...
#3BBilbo1Posted 8/8/2011 9:24:19 AM
Your best bet is to actually check prices on 250 HDDs for your system.

Like you, I had an the original launch 360 console. I found a deal on woot and ended up getting the 250 gig Drive that came with transfer cable and software for like 20 bucks.

So for the price of a DVD, you might be able to simply upgrade your system's storage.
---
GamerTag: Hammer2Fall
#4Fuzzier_BallPosted 8/8/2011 9:25:29 AM
Yes you can, but only up to a maximum of 16gb usb.
---
I respect all.
#5RenamonPosted 8/8/2011 9:27:45 AM
How many games do you have, like every one that ever existed? I seriously doubt you filled a 20 GB HDD with the majority being game saves.

Just delete the DLC or XBLA games you don't use anymore to free up space.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#6BBilbo1Posted 8/8/2011 9:32:24 AM
Renamon posted...
How many games do you have, like every one that ever existed? I seriously doubt you filled a 20 GB HDD with the majority being game saves.

Just delete the DLC or XBLA games you don't use anymore to free up space.

I'd have to say there's an important factor missing in your advice.

He has an older 360. The older hardware on the consoles tend to chug a bit slower on loading. That's why I install most of my games on my launch 360. Things just run smoother.
---
#7RenamonPosted 8/8/2011 9:34:18 AM
BBilbo1 posted...

He has an older 360. The older hardware on the consoles tend to chug a bit slower on loading. That's why I install most of my games on my launch 360. Things just run smoother.

...and that's relevant to my post ... how?
---
#8GSM11186(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2011 9:34:43 AM
Haha nah, I do have a bunch of XBLA games which I guess take up most of the space. I'd rather not have to delete them, which is why I'm asking about external storage.

I do already have an external hard drive and memory key so I wouldn't want to have to buy another one. So if I rent a movie, I can download it right to the external device and watch it from there? Or is it just for storage purposes?
#9RenamonPosted 8/8/2011 9:37:28 AM
You realize you can redownload your DLC / XBLA games as many times as you want for free, right?
---
#10BBilbo1Posted 8/8/2011 10:10:51 AM
Renamon posted...
BBilbo1 posted...

...and that's relevant to my post ... how?

Because a 20-gig drive + an older console means that after installing games, plus movies, music, and arcade titles, he's going to be playing musical chairs with his data time after time. or constantly play "triage" with what stays and whats goes on his HDD. Doing that once or twice is fine. But after doing it again and again, it gets to be a hassle.

Launch console hard drives are a lot cheaper these days. And it might be an overall convenient move to just upgrade the hard drive to something a bit roomier.
---