This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hope resident evil 6 goes back to tank controls, or at least re4 style.

#1knightimexPosted 8/9/2011 7:09:13 AM
Don't tell me tank controls suck.
Actually it sucks so bad it's amazing!

Moving around like you can in games like Left4dead, cod zombies kind of kills the survival horror effect.

if I REALLY had to settle with a more modern style it would have to be COD like controls, but modified to play along the lines of re4 if anything.

Discuss.

Don't be mad at my topics baby, you know you love'em!
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#2darkshadowmasterPosted 8/9/2011 7:21:12 AM
I just want it to go back to survival horror
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#3ChezDispenserPosted 8/9/2011 7:23:56 AM
I dunno. The classic games never scared me BECAUSE of the control scheme--it took the bite out of the enemies when you realized they weren't dangerous because of carefully plotted AI or interesting, frightening abilities. They were dangerous because your character's hips were fused and apparently unable to sidestep or precisely aim a gun despite supposedly police-style training (S.T.A.R.S. agents, etc.)

With RE4, being both in better control of my character AND having more dangerous enemies made the game more frightening.
---
You must defeat me to stand a chance!
GT: A Bloody Bard|SteamID: VimesCityWatch
#4MacDofGlasgowPosted 8/9/2011 7:25:07 AM
I love the new Resi games, but I wish they had been a different series as I also loved the old Resi games.
---
Backlog: Fable 3, Velvet Assassin, Halo Reach, Blue Dragon, Sacred 2, Risen, Mind Jack, SC:Conviction, X3
#5baueris24Posted 8/9/2011 8:15:39 AM
When the early Resident Evil games first came out, I liked them because they were something different. However after awhile I grew tired of the same controls and gameplay and lost interest. Then Resident Evil 4 came out and renewed my interest in the series. I don't think I could even go back to the early Resident Evils because of the crappy controls. Though if you think about it Resident Evil 4 technically did have the tank controls it just seemed like it didn't because of the camera angle. The only thing I can think of that Resident Evil 4 added to the controls was the ability to aim exactly where you wanted to shoot as opposed to the early games where you could only shoot high, medium, and low. What a difference a camera angle can make!
#6takidigits2005Posted 8/9/2011 8:34:43 AM
I'd be happy if the controls were like RE 5 with the option of being able to move while you shoot. Shadows of the Damned came pretty close to this.
---
"You know I can't play without a GUI -TAR string, n-n-n-n-n-nephew!!!" --- Uncle Pecos
#7QuetzocoetlPosted 8/9/2011 9:05:16 AM
Developers shouldn't rely on shoddy controls to create an atmosphere.
You could make Resident Evil a series of Gears-esque shooters, and if you did it right, you can still create an atmosphere of dread and fear.
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl
#8ChezDispenserPosted 8/9/2011 9:13:10 AM
Quetzocoetl posted...
You could make Resident Evil a series of Gears-esque shooters, and if you did it right, you can still create an atmosphere of dread and fear.

Yup.
---
You must defeat me to stand a chance!
GT: A Bloody Bard|SteamID: VimesCityWatch
#9DakhanavarXPosted 8/9/2011 9:18:18 AM
I personally feel Dead Space did survival horror controls very well. You can move and shoot and still have intensity. RE5 lost a lot of it's intensity because even the AI was programmed around the tank controls. The enemies would come running at you, full speed, and then stop 10 feet away to walk the rest of the way towards you and give you time to pick 'em off (Since you couldn't move & shoot). I'd file RE5 under "Quite good" but it could've been filed under "Great!" if it would've ditched those ancient controls.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#10Typhus665Posted 8/9/2011 9:27:24 AM
Soul Ender posted...
Quetzocoetl posted...

Yup.

Yeah because nothing creates an atmosphere of dread and fear like regenerating health, a surplus of ammo, and one-hit melee kills. Hey there'd be a cover system too, oh joy.
---
WOH BLACK TOWAH WUT IZ YO POWAH!?
http://www.last.fm/user/Typhus89/