This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I really need to sign on Gold Membership to access Netflix?

#1NoPointMadePosted 8/9/2011 10:08:10 AM
or is there a way to circumvent that?
#2Iceman83Posted 8/9/2011 10:11:53 AM
Use another device?
---
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
#3Rip_Van_WinkleXPosted 8/9/2011 10:12:54 AM
No. When Netflix first started streaming to the consoles they only had the 360 to work with. Since Microsoft had a monopoly over it, they forced the users to be gold membership.

I used to use the xbox since the wife watched netflix all the time. Though since I bought a PS3 I got rid of the gold membership since I rarely played online and we were only using it to watch Netflix. Bad investment.
---
GamerTag: RipVanWinkleX
#4NoPointMade(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 10:17:17 AM
Rip_Van_WinkleX posted...
No. When Netflix first started streaming to the consoles they only had the 360 to work with. Since Microsoft had a monopoly over it, they forced the users to be gold membership.

I used to use the xbox since the wife watched netflix all the time. Though since I bought a PS3 I got rid of the gold membership since I rarely played online and we were only using it to watch Netflix. Bad investment.

Well I got rid of the gold membership in favor of PS3 online too but I'm still playing some exclusives single player games on 360. I wish there's more use for it.

so PS3 and even 3DS had Netflix free and I can't access it on this machine??? Man, that sucks.
#5CronoDynePosted 8/9/2011 11:09:20 AM

I welcome Microsoft to today. There is absolutely no reason why you have to pay to use a service you're already paying for. This is one of the stupidest things associated with the 360. TC, if you own a PS3, Wii, 3DS, or any other device capable of using Netflix, go with that.
---
If you're using the term "Deus Ex Machina" in your post, you're probably using it wrong.
#6NoPointMade(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 11:16:18 AM
CronoDyne posted...

I welcome Microsoft to today. There is absolutely no reason why you have to pay to use a service you're already paying for. This is one of the stupidest things associated with the 360. TC, if you own a PS3, Wii, 3DS, or any other device capable of using Netflix, go with that.

yeah I was already doing Netflix on PS3 and 3DS. I'm just trying to find ways on how I could use this box more (because it only plays games right now and just sits in my basement).
#7chocoboblue99Posted 8/9/2011 11:21:38 AM
NoPointMade posted...

I'm just trying to find ways on how I could use this box more (because it only plays games right now and just sits in my basement).

That's all I do with my xbox. I am a gold member, but I don't watch netflix with my xbox because I don't like to. So, all I do is play games with it. lol
#8natevinesPosted 8/9/2011 11:28:55 AM
Just stream on PC and have your PC connected to your TV.

That's what I would do if I didn't have gold
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#9Rip_Van_WinkleXPosted 8/9/2011 12:50:29 PM
natevines posted...
Just stream on PC and have your PC connected to your TV.

That's what I would do if I didn't have gold

I would of done that, but because the room is situated it's hard to move the computer to the hdtv. Even then I would not get true HD because I have to use a VGA to connect to the tv.
---
GamerTag: RipVanWinkleX
#10RenamonPosted 8/9/2011 12:53:58 PM
I dunno what the point in this topic even is. When you go to load the netflix app under a Silver account, you get a message saying you need Gold. So how was that not obvious enough?
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games