This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox 360 Self Repair & Legality.

#1MapleAeonPosted 8/10/2011 7:31:31 AM
My third xbox has just been given the dreaded RRoD disease and I'd rather not spend loads of money for a whole new console (and this one I have is a limited edition). So I thought that I'd have a go at fixing it myself.

I've seen plenty of guides and videos and it doesn't look too hard but I have one question: Is self repair illegal? Is it against Microsoft's rules and regulations? Because I really don't want to get banned over something like this.

Thanks in advance.
---
GT; EscapeFate Dan 1-800-MAGIC =)
FFXIII - 1000/1000G
#2Citrate1007Posted 8/10/2011 7:36:51 AM(edited)
I don't think it is illegal, but it is against ToS. If it is just a hardware issue there isn't any way for them to figure out that you did anything.

The reason why I don't think it is illegal is because Apple lost a legal case and it was ruled that it wasn't a crime to jailbreak iphones. What you do with the product once its yours is up to you.
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#3Matt_256Posted 8/10/2011 7:35:56 AM
It shouldn't. Yea, it voids your warranty and also trade-in would be void as well considering you can tell when the case has been tampered with. You shouldn't get into any trouble with Microsoft I'd think as long as your not modifying it in any way.
#4Mutant1988Posted 8/10/2011 7:41:21 AM(edited)
Repair is not illegal, but it voids the warranty.

There is no risk of being banned unless you install third party hardware. A replacement DVD drive (Or any other significant component really) may register as a hardware modification and lead to a banned console. That is, if such a thing works in the first place, without the use of un permitted software (Which isn't illegal either, but do constitute a ToS violation, which will lead to a ban).

But if all you're doing is fixing a RROD issue, this won't happen.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.