This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

l just traded my fat for a slim. Will I get banned for using my old hard drive?

#1Nwofan18Posted 8/10/2011 7:35:48 AM
I keep hearing conflicting reports on this. I would like to save money and just put my 120gb in my slim.
---
Currently playing: L.A. Noire, NCAA Football 12, MLB 11 The Show, Back to the Future: The Game, and Borderlands GOTY Edition.
#2MrMikeMaPosted 8/10/2011 7:37:40 AM
why would get banned?

the only issue should be transferring the licenses of all your games. I think I am gonna get a 4gig kinect Xbox 360 for Christmas and slap my 120 gig HDD on it.
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/
#3Pacman2dxPosted 8/10/2011 7:37:56 AM
No you will not be banned ..
---
XBL - FA7ALtheGOD / PSN - FATALtheGOD
Thank you Bungie .. 'Per Audacia Ad Astra' ..
#4Nwofan18(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2011 7:44:52 AM
Transferring licenses? Sounds complicated.
---
Currently playing: L.A. Noire, NCAA Football 12, MLB 11 The Show, Back to the Future: The Game, and Borderlands GOTY Edition.
#5MrMikeMaPosted 8/10/2011 7:45:42 AM
^^

nah. It's very easy.
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/
#6Dragon NexusPosted 8/10/2011 8:41:33 AM
MrMikeMa posted...
why would get banned?

Because modifying hardware to work beyond its intended use is against the Terms of Usage.
Whether MS cracks down or not is another matter, but they're well within their rights to.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#7TheMuffinPosted 8/10/2011 9:00:18 AM
I really don't think the case is part of that TOU. If that were the case, when someone sends in an opened system for repair, they would be smacked with a ban or notification of some sort. MS doesn't do that. They just say "sorry, you opened it. We're not willing to fix it for you." All removing that sticker does is void the warranty.
---
Gabrius ~Hedro, tank you for cawling xbox suppaaart, my neem is THOMAS, hawl cun I heeelp you?
#8RycerXPosted 8/10/2011 9:09:23 AM(edited)
TheMuffin posted...
I really don't think the case is part of that TOU. If that were the case, when someone sends in an opened system for repair, they would be smacked with a ban or notification of some sort. MS doesn't do that. They just say "sorry, you opened it. We're not willing to fix it for you." All removing that sticker does is void the warranty.

That's a little different though, because you haven't necessarily modified anything to perform in a way it wasn't supposed to. When you crack an old 360 hard drive out of its case and fit it into the slim, you're avoiding the purchase of a new 250gb hdd by modifying the old one to perform outside its intended parameters.

It's all legal bullcrap and I'm just as opposed to it as the next guy, but the fact is it does fall under the ToU. Having said that, as far as I know, this isn't a big issue and MS isn't hunting people down over it, but it'd be a real shame to one day find your console banned because they decided to do a sweep for these kind of hardware inconsistencies with a dashboard update or who knows what in the future.
#9Links_Big_KeyPosted 8/10/2011 9:33:14 AM
I thought MS just banned modded consoles that connect to LIVE.

As far as I know one could get their console banned buy a new legit console and transfer their HD data to the new one and get on LIVE without any issues. This was at least true in the past, and makes sense because MS would seemingly want to encourage pirates to go legit.
#10Nwofan18(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2011 9:36:02 AM
I got this 120gb hard drive on Friday at Gamestop. Since then I found a used official Microsoft 250gb slim hard drive at game x change used for 80 dollars. Should I take my 120gb back and get a refund, since it is within the 7 days, and pay 35.00 extra to get the slim 250 drive to be safe?
---