This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't like online passes for used games? Pitch a better solution here

#1Moss_27Posted 8/11/2011 8:25:50 PM
I never buy used but I can see both sides of the argument, from the devs side and the customers, and even the retailers who really are cashing in on the used game market.

We all have read about Rage locking SP content for its game, and about the big guys (EA, Capcom, THQ) putting online passes in most of their games. For the most part, both of these practices are getting bashed here pretty badly.

Why don't we try to figure out better solutions that would help the devs get back some of that lost money from used sales/promote buying new, without losing trust/loyalty from its fans?

What we know:

- Retailers like GS are profiting bigtime from used game sales
- Developers are getting $0 from these used sales
- Developers realize the used sales business is making big money
- Devs want to either limit used sales to sell more new copies, or get a piece of the pie from those used sales
- A lot of consumers are willing to pay even $5 less for a used copy, compared to the new copy if they are getting the same content from both options.

I am still figuring out my idea for a better solution...what would you do if you were an exec at a company with authority to set the plan to combat lost revenue on used sales?
---
The Ultimate Staredown
http://tinyurl.com/3ul4zmj
#2Moss_27(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 8:29:03 PM(edited)
I was playing around with the idea of deactivating leaderboards for used buyers, but that might be a bit much. And paying extra to get that available would be similar to the online pass anyway, plus it sort of locks out normal game content which wouldn't be a good thing to keep fans happy.

Also thought about giving new content to new buyers, but I don't believe giving 1 or 2 map packs or a few extra cars to them would entice a used buyer to make the jump. Plus, anything given to new buyers would certainly be finished content that would just be locked for used buyers, so it doesn't help from a PR perspective. It's tough.
---
The Ultimate Staredown
#3WinternovaPosted 8/11/2011 8:29:31 PM
I don't understand hate on Rage for the SP DLC provided with a new purchase. People get too emotional and lose all sense of perspective.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)
#4MHGALEPosted 8/11/2011 8:30:56 PM
give us incentive to buy new instead of used the way Bioware does. Don't cut content for buying use reward us for buying new.

Just my opinion.
---
# of Games in Backlog: 32
I hate not being able to pick which one.
#5nhamilton310Posted 8/11/2011 8:34:49 PM
Winternova posted...
I don't understand hate on Rage for the SP DLC provided with a new purchase. People get too emotional and lose all sense of perspective.

Sadly, the most vocal of the people I know ( or have seen on this board) are the people who use ANY excuse to justify pirating. They fancy themselves noble thieves, and so any excuse is good enough. They say this is CRAP that Rage will try to stop thieves..and so it is then perfectly within their rights to steal it.

This does not affect me, because I support game makers.

This will not be a popular post, as it takes all the fun out of noble stealing when someone tells you you are just a criminal. So be it.
#6d209999Posted 8/11/2011 8:36:27 PM
nhamilton310 posted...
Winternova posted...

Sadly, the most vocal of the people I know ( or have seen on this board) are the people who use ANY excuse to justify pirating. They fancy themselves noble thieves, and so any excuse is good enough. They say this is CRAP that Rage will try to stop thieves..and so it is then perfectly within their rights to steal it.

This will not be a popular post, as it takes all the fun out of noble stealing when someone tells you you are just a criminal. So be it.

/topic
---
"I only remember those that I talk to often, or that are particularly irritating."
#7WinternovaPosted 8/11/2011 8:37:16 PM

It really makes no sense. It's EXACTLY like the added DLC for original purchasers in Mass Effect 2 - extra, out-of-the-way side adventures that have no impact on the core experience.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 8/11/2011 8:37:45 PM
Why should a company have to provide 'incentive' for buying a product they've made? The incentive is the product itself.
I'd rather just buy new and get access than have to create a Bioware Social account. I've had a EA account for 3 years or so and it took me 3 1/2 hours to get my extra content for DA2.
---
Everything's better with zombies. Except pie.
#9Moss_27(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 8:38:38 PM
I think it's just the idea of knowing for a fact that the content is locked, it just puts a bad taste in people's mouth. If it was something they said would be available in say, 1 month after release FREE for new buyers, I think it would have stopped this backlash. No dev can come out looking good when they announce that content will be locked on release day.

Look at Red Dead Redemption...they released a co-op pack for free within a month after release, and everybody was praising them for being so great to its fans. The content had to be completed already, and was purposely locked out of the shipped game, but I don't they ever talked about the co-op pack until a few weeks after the game came out.

Compare that to Warhammer, they announced recently that they are shipping the game in September, and that the co-op mode they have already talked out before isn't done yet, but that they will patch it sometime after the game comes out.

They are telling us the game isn't done, but they are selling it anyway. R* sold us the game, then made it seem like we were getting a bonus with the already complete co-op pack coming out shortly after.
---
The Ultimate Staredown
#10PrealienkingPosted 8/11/2011 8:39:53 PM(edited)
Give a code that will give access to additional DLC for buying the game new? Like the Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2.

BAM! Much better way to increase new sales. Offer later DLC for free.
---
Currently Working on -
Warning: all posts after Midnight Central Time are a form of natural high that occurs due to lack of sleep.