This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't like online passes for used games? Pitch a better solution here

#91regsantotomasPosted 8/12/2011 9:31:48 PM
Winternova posted...
EULA's don't really matter. What matters is how the software was distributed in the first place. In Autodesk, the user licensed the software directly from the company - that's why the license was upheld. In a retail situation, it's a sale. That's why it's not that interesting of a precedent when you take a look at the actual facts of the case and realize that other situations can be easily differentiated from that decision.

That's why law is fun! :)

Interesting discussion. Thanks for that. It's rare 'round these parts.

Is it your opinion then that EULAs can never be upheld?

I don't necessarily agree with everything that are in EULAs but don't think that they are completely invalid either. It seems like there are a variety of conflicting ruling from the lower courts.
---
Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity! - Gandalf the Grey
If you threaten to quit gaming, please keep your promise ASAP.
#92WinternovaPosted 8/12/2011 10:11:12 PM

Is it your opinion then that EULAs can never be upheld?

I don't necessarily agree with everything that are in EULAs but don't think that they are completely invalid either. It seems like there are a variety of conflicting ruling from the lower courts.

Not "never", but rarely. They're applicable in the case of a license of software, but if the software is sold they're pretty much useless.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(AFC Champs), Red Wings(Central Champs)
#93XiviosPosted 8/12/2011 10:35:32 PM
i'm not going to read 10 pages of crap that likely ignores the real issue.

You want to hurt the used game market? Here's the only solution. Make your ****ing game decent enough that people want to keep it. You peddle crap and then act surprised that people sell it off so quick? Old used games, the $20, $25, they don't hurt the market, because by the time a game is that old it isn't selling well anyways. It's the $5-doller's less than new used games released a month ago that hurt the market - and they only exist because people can't wait to be rid of your ****!

Any other solution is bullcrap;

Exclusive first-buy DLC is bullcrap, you can't lend it to a friend, or family, you can't access it when you rent, you can't trade it with your friends. Hurts the first sale buyer, even while making him think he's getting something special. Bullcrap. Same goes for online passes. Bullcrap. It's all bullcrap. Either make a better game or stop peddling crap at full-prices.
---
What do you want from me?
#94otisanimePosted 8/12/2011 10:42:11 PM
Offer your games digitally for less money, and a few days before they're at retailers.

This will never happen.

Fare more likely outcome: Games will cost more, and certain retailers (Possibly gamestop!) will get it a few days early, before that would EVER happen.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, NFS Hot Pursuit, Resonance of Fate
#95CapwnDPosted 8/12/2011 11:57:29 PM

Developers get to come over to your house and spit in your mouth. That's my only other alternative.

I'm going to sig that for awhile, if you don't mind.
---
"Developers get to come over to your house and spit in your mouth. That's my only other alternative." -mastahjebus on alternatives to online passes
#96mastahjebusPosted 8/13/2011 7:48:07 PM
It's an honor, sir
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position
#97Viet0nePosted 8/13/2011 7:57:01 PM
Xivios posted...

You want to hurt the used game market? Here's the only solution. Make your ****ing game decent enough that people want to keep it. You peddle crap and then act surprised that people sell it off so quick? Old used games, the $20, $25, they don't hurt the market, because by the time a game is that old it isn't selling well anyways. It's the $5-doller's less than new used games released a month ago that hurt the market - and they only exist because people can't wait to be rid of your ****!

Exclusive first-buy DLC is bullcrap, you can't lend it to a friend, or family, you can't access it when you rent, you can't trade it with your friends. Hurts the first sale buyer, even while making him think he's getting something special. Bullcrap. Same goes for online passes. Bullcrap. It's all bullcrap. Either make a better game or stop peddling crap at full-prices.

False, making the best game in the world will still result in the same people buying it used to save that slight bit of money. That will never change.
---
Currently Playing: MHP3rd, Pokemon Black, Naruto UNS2
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#98XiviosPosted 8/13/2011 8:07:45 PM
Viet0ne posted...
Xivios posted...

False, making the best game in the world will still result in the same people buying it used to save that slight bit of money. That will never change.

Exactly. But the used market isn't piracy. There is always a lower amount of used games available than new games sold. If people don't sell their game, than a buyer can't buy a used game. Happened at least once so far, when Mass Effect came out, GS had no used copies. Had to buy new. It was always highly praised, and for good reason. Give a person a reason to keep their game instead of selling it = crippled market. Granted there will always be a few who sell or trade games habitually, but most used games are being traded because they aren't worth keeping.
---
What do you want from me?
#99robat223Posted 8/14/2011 7:41:29 AM
Viet0ne posted...
Xivios posted...

If you make the best game in the world, in theory no one would sell it back. Halo 1 was almost *never* seen used in GS until about 6 years after it's release. Make games with actual replay value and you'll avoid this problem.
---
I'm a quantum chemist. Gamertag= Robat93
PSN= thegreatusurper
#100MUD VIPERPosted 8/14/2011 8:15:24 AM
This will not stop used game sales, but I think if developers are going to start this then EVERY game should have a demo. And not some 10-30 minute demo, a sizable demo. Like just cause 2 or the deus ex human revolution beta. Gamers( PC and console ) always roll the dice when buying a game. What do they have to go? Exaggerated previews from so called gaming journalist, misinformation from the developers, etc, etc.

Publishers and developers are too quick to want to Gordon Gecko the used game market, but do nothing about the misinformation which no doubt helps sale their games. Why don't they want a profit from the backwoods sites that "make up info" about their game? Here you have a site generating traffic for the purpose of ad revenue from giving false info about your game. Yet they do nothing.

I remember talking with one of the dev's from Remedy on the official Alan Wake board and after a few back & forths he commented saying "we could have done more to clear up any misinformation about Alan Wake". I replied to him with "more?" you guys didn't do anything.

My point is, make it less of a dice roll for gamers to buy your products new.

As for DRM, that would not be good for me. My connection/provider is unstable, some months its real good, others( like this month ) its real bad. My internet stays down more than up during these bad months. And at my location there are not multiple choices for a provider, there is only one choice, the one I have.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you to can become a game tester.