This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So a thought that a big part of gaming has always been...

#1JKSonicPosted 8/12/2011 3:23:06 PM
A HUGE part of gaming has ALWAYS BEEN trading games, letting friends borrow games, and selling/buying used games. Even before Gamestop there were yard sales, flea markets and second hand stores and all of them have always been hot spots for used games.

I just don't get why NOW it's all of a sudden such a big deal. This has always been part of gaming and by attempting to remove it they are changing gaming at it's very core. Just like music, gaming has always been about sharing with others and passing it on when you're finished.

Yes this is in response to all the RAGE rage...it's an FU to gamers and the way we've always gamed. It's always been social media and this is just one more step to take it into a direction NONE OF US want it to go. Can you imagine a future where you can't let your best friend or a family member borrow your game? Or where if you bought a game and beat it right away and knew you'd never touch it again, you couldn't sell it? That's where we're headed...hope you're all ready because I'm not.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#2Arucard05Posted 8/12/2011 3:29:58 PM
Forget selling a game, people in my own house are locked out of content from games I purchased.
---
#3ShadowRisaePosted 8/12/2011 3:31:20 PM
This isn't a new thing. I mean, this is part of the reason why DRM was initially created for computer games. Game developers and publishers have always wanted to try to prevent reselling and trading in, because they don't get a cut of the sale. They just didn't have technology good enough to prevent this until more recently.
---
Insert witty signature here
#4bluehat94Posted 8/12/2011 3:31:39 PM
i dont understand why people are so pissed about rage, theres no DRM, its just sewers
---
"Dude nevermind. You simply dont have the cognitive capacity to comprehend whats going on here."-xXHighBoostXx
#5playboydojoPosted 8/12/2011 3:36:26 PM
I don't get what it's supposed to do. If a person is the type to regularly buy games used, then locking out content isn't going to be an incentive to buying the game new. These buyers will either not care/notice or the locked content will be a disincentive to buying the game at all..
---
I've decided to not have a sig because nobody reads it anyway. Not even you.
#6CapwnDPosted 8/12/2011 3:57:53 PM

Forget selling a game, people in my own house are locked out of content from games I purchased.

This is my issue too.

Now more than ever people have more than one xbox and have family where there's sometimes 2 generations and going on 3 generations of gamers in their families.
---
I live in a constant state of Deja Vu. I feel like I've mention this before.
#7Shinobi120Posted 8/12/2011 4:04:25 PM
JKSonic posted...
A HUGE part of gaming has ALWAYS BEEN trading games, letting friends borrow games, and selling/buying used games. Even before Gamestop there were yard sales, flea markets and second hand stores and all of them have always been hot spots for used games.

I just don't get why NOW it's all of a sudden such a big deal. This has always been part of gaming and by attempting to remove it they are changing gaming at it's very core. Just like music, gaming has always been about sharing with others and passing it on when you're finished.

Yes this is in response to all the RAGE rage...it's an FU to gamers and the way we've always gamed. It's always been social media and this is just one more step to take it into a direction NONE OF US want it to go. Can you imagine a future where you can't let your best friend or a family member borrow your game? Or where if you bought a game and beat it right away and knew you'd never touch it again, you couldn't sell it? That's where we're headed...hope you're all ready because I'm not.

I'll give you the answer to that...it's all about greed & developers trying to have full control of the gaming industry & gullible people believing everything that developers say some nonsense about "The used gaming market is destroying the gaming industry! Stop buying used games & support us!," etc., when that is certainly NOT the case.

I get the feeling that if this keeps going on throughout future generations of gaming, that this will result in another game crash.
#8jaygoodPosted 8/12/2011 4:15:37 PM
Arucard05 posted...

Just game share....oh wait wrong board
---
Currently playing: Fallout New Vegas (360)
GT/PSN: Quadrunner76
#9badguyPosted 8/12/2011 4:45:27 PM
actually i remember reading an article kinda recently talking about how even way back game companies hated game sharing, including Nintendo trying to get a federal trade block or something like that on renting video games.
---
:3 xbox tag: badguyisevil
#10JKSonic(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 8:36:26 AM(edited)
I know that game companies have never really been keen on it. Neither has the music industry. That doesn't mean it's not part of the culture though. If this continues I can see a future where even movie dvds/blurays/whatever media we have at the time is locked to your specific player or account or something. In fact we're already headed there with digital media.

"Forget selling a game, people in my own house are locked out of content from games I purchased."

That's one very big issue too. I have two boys who are 10m apart and while they're too young for games now in a couple years they won't be. At that time I fear this will even be worse. As they grow up I hope DRM grows too at least to create better solutions to problems like that.

"I get the feeling that if this keeps going on throughout future generations of gaming, that this will result in another game crash."

I agree with that too, there will be a point where we've had enough, and the core gamers will back off a bit. At that point two very bad things could happen... Either we have another full blown gaming crash. Or, possibly even worse, casual games completely take over the market and "core" games because pretty much a thing of the past.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."