This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Post-apocalyptic games

#1DahlVaughnniPosted 8/14/2011 6:29:21 AM(edited)
I'm trying to think of a method in which a world can become corrupt or mostly destroyed, like Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy 6, etc. Keep in mind that this is a fantasy type setting and doesn't involve things like nukes and radiation and whatnot. Maybe something magical in nature.

-Evil villain invokes some kind of magic
-Meteor hits the planet
-Something upsets the balance of magic and the planet reacts
-Natural disasters
-Plagues
-Hell invades
-Some kind of curse
-Awakening of some kind of evil entity messes up the world.

What else can you think of? Doesn't have to be from any specific game, in fact it's probably better if it's original.
---
Gamertag & PSN: Archlvt
FFCC: EOT FC - 0261 0047 8986
#2BeefEasterPosted 8/14/2011 6:18:32 AM
-Meteor hits the planet
-Natural disasters
-Plagues

how are these magical in nature?
#3blablablax17Posted 8/14/2011 6:18:53 AM
i think you need to look at a few zelda games
they fit almost all of that criteria
#4DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 6:20:08 AM
BeefEaster posted...
-Meteor hits the planet
-Natural disasters
-Plagues

how are these magical in nature?

Doesn't have to be magical in nature, I just want to shift the focus as far away from modern day things like nukes and bombs and military crap. Basically anything that would work in a high fantasy or steampunk setting are viable.
---
#5DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 6:21:24 AM
blablablax17 posted...
i think you need to look at a few zelda games
they fit almost all of that criteria

Read the post again. I'm not looking for a game that fits criteria. I'm looking for some outside-the-box ideas on ways a world can get messed up.
---
#6BeefEasterPosted 8/14/2011 6:25:10 AM
in your first post you said:

"Keep in mind that this is a fantasy type setting and doesn't involve things like nukes and radiation and whatnot. Something magical in nature."

then you say:

"Doesn't have to be magical in nature"

*confused*
#7DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 6:28:08 AM
BeefEaster posted...
in your first post you said:

"Keep in mind that this is a fantasy type setting and doesn't involve things like nukes and radiation and whatnot. Something magical in nature."

then you say:

"Doesn't have to be magical in nature"

*confused*

I only said that to stave off COD fanboys so I wouldn't get responses like "nukes" or "war". It baffles me how literally you take this and how little you've contributed.
---
#8Delta ZeroPosted 8/14/2011 6:36:46 AM
Depending on the nature of the world you could have humans trying to harness the power of magic for war ending up causing massive destruction. This one would work on an advanced fantasy setting with machines and stuff.

If the setting is more medieval in nature then Gods might be a possible explanation of why a world might be "destroyed", or a massive volcano eruption sending it into an ice age, or a plague which would destroy civilization.
---
-__-
#9seb03Posted 8/14/2011 6:36:53 AM
giant robots fighting all the time with shiny fingers
---
"and when PS3 goes down you have to change your bank account and the locks on your door."
#10DahlVaughnni(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2011 6:46:18 AM(edited)
Delta Zero posted...
Depending on the nature of the world you could have humans trying to harness the power of magic for war ending up causing massive destruction. This one would work on an advanced fantasy setting with machines and stuff.

If the setting is more medieval in nature then Gods might be a possible explanation of why a world might be "destroyed", or a massive volcano eruption sending it into an ice age, or a plague which would destroy civilization.

That's the right idea, but most of that were covered in my first post, except for the gods. I'm not entirely sure of the setting though, it's in a very early stage right now.

Basically what's going on is I'm in the middle of developing a game. I have the combat.....well not finished entirely but playable, and I'm having a hard time with the setting and plot.

I want to create the atmosphere of a desolate world where you need to survive, or something. Very little civilization. Think of games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, any of the 3d Metroid games, or Metroid Prime 1, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy 6 (after the floating continent but before you find your friends), Soul Blazer, Enslaved. That feeling of being alone in a world gives it a lot of emotional depth, and I'm trying to create that. I hope that gives people a better idea of what I'm looking for.
---