This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My top 5 frustrations with the current video game industry...

#21POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2011 8:02:21 PM
I didn't fess up to being a troll - I acknowledged this topic is apparently troll food 'cuz trolls be eatin' it up like crazy...
#22kingsteve1515Posted 8/20/2011 8:41:19 PM
I agree completely with 1 2 and 3. 4 is an annoyance, not being able to play certain games, but to call it a top 5 problem with the industry? I don't think so. 5...well...it takes time. Late and good is > slightly less late and average.
---
GT: edgehead2008, PSN: ThinBlueLine8008
CM PUNK
#23Gunvalkyrie2Posted 8/20/2011 8:47:08 PM(edited)
1. is idiotic. Like I said, that's thinking from the mid 90s. Old grannies in MY FAMILY have the Wii and are "gaming".. you either have a very low opinion of yourself or have a time machine you are using and don't know exactly where you are.
#24LimblessQuasarPosted 8/20/2011 9:01:55 PM
I don't get number 1. At all. Are you from a really small town or something? Or maybe, I don't know...Are you a girl? Or part of some strange subculture that is yet to accept mainstream video gaming? Almost every male I know has played video games at some point in their life and has nothing against others playing them. Sure, there are some who take it overboard and play ALL THE TIME and rightfully or wrongfully, are ridiculed for it. But seriously. My brother plays videogames about 12 hours a day and has no problem socializing with the outside world. Idk. That point alone, unfortunately, brings down your argument.

Other than that, you've got good points. But, all I'll say, is that it is what it is. People are perfectly fine allowing and even supporting developers who are pioneering strange practices. There was even someone in the industry a little while ago who said Blizzard can "push forward the fight against used game sales" by making Diablo III an online-only single player experience. Absolutely absurd.

One problem I will say we're seeing is that the industry is, to some degree, outgrowing itself. When OoT sold so well, people said, "Oh well Nintendo does that." When Halo sold so well, people said, "Oh well Microsoft can do that." Then when CoD sells so well, suddenly it seems like every big-market game is spending so much more money than it should be. For whatever reason, everyone seems to be under the impression their game can do extremely well with the expanded gaming community, but it's just not happening. Maybe this is one of the reasons behind the new used games battle. Either way, they need to find a way to either, 1) sell more copies 2) make more money or 3) eliminate/cut down on huge budgets. But I don't see it happening.
#25SaraAB87Posted 8/21/2011 1:18:22 PM
I don't think #1 is a problem anymore especially after the introduction of the Wii. But you still have the problem that playing games on a cell phone, iphone or iPod touch is automatically still cooler and much more appropriate than being seen playing a DS in public especially if you are an adult. I don't really care what others think of me for playing a game system in public though so its not an issue for me, but it is an issue for a lot of people.
---
Apple Gamecenter username : SaraAB87
#26POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 9:24:55 PM
Bump...
#27POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 12:49:33 AM
Bumpy...
#28Shy420Posted 8/27/2011 6:33:24 AM
1) The stigma that follows those whom play video games regularly in the US

This has nothing to do with the industry and more to do with society, a lack of self confidence and a need to be accepted by everyone.

3) Those whom defend the online pass system.
...some "marketing genius" (AKA f****** a******) came up with this method of leeching money from those that support them...

Thing is you're not supporting the devs when you buy a used game but when you buy a used game and then pay to play online you have a way of supporting them.

4) Games that don't get localized to the US

You say there are a ton of awesome games that should be imported. This is an opinion and nothing more. I would agree that there are a lot of games I would like to see but truth be told the cost of localization may outweigh the popularity of a game making it a uneconomical decision.

In general this is a msg board and one can say whatever they want as others can comment. I disagree with almost everything you say and it would seem to me that you're a typical spoiled gamer who thinks that anyone in the industry cares about your feelings. This is a business much like the movie industry and they rarely care about what you think. If you're angry do something about it, stop buying certain publisher games, write letters to companies expressing your feelings, find people who feel the same way be active and not passive.
---
"Things aren't different. Things are just things." -Wintermute