This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft Comments on Xbox 720

#1Paragon57Posted 8/24/2011 12:48:00 PM
Talking to Eurogamer, Chris Lewis, said:

"I would only say it’s too long if things are stagnating. If developers are finding they’re bumping their heads against the glass ceiling of development scope, if we weren’t bringing revolutionary technology like Kinect, if we weren’t able to, frankly, completely update the UI of Xbox Live without predicating that on people buying new hardware, were those things not true I might be more in agreement with your assessment."

"I actually don’t think it’s too long if the experience continues to grow, if people continue to flock to it and they feel like they’re getting great value. That is everything we’re experiencing right now. That’s how I’d answer that."

Continuing:

"I’m being charged with more growth this year versus next year. Sure, I chew the back of my hand a little bit when I think about what that means. We had a very good year last year. But, I do also believe there is sufficient in what’s coming and exists right now for that to be a very realistic ambition. We’re not talking about any additional or new generations of hardware at the moment. We’re fixated on what we’ve got going on right now."

Later, when asked whether the Xbox 720 was being researched and developed, he said:

"Sure. As you can imagine, of course we’re working on all sorts of different things. We do that all the time. Frankly, in all aspects of Microsoft, not just what we do with Xbox, our R&D investment is second to none. But to your point about life cycle timing, we’re in pretty good shape."

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/microsoft-comments-on-xbox-720-7949
---
P a r a g o n 5 7 was here!
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7527/paragon.png
#2BudWisenheimerPosted 8/24/2011 1:23:57 PM
Paragon57 posted...
Talking to Eurogamer, Chris Lewis, said:

"I’m being charged with more growth this year versus next year."

So for as long as possible ... it's probably best to deny your 2012 holiday next-gen console release that launches with the first in a new Halo trilogy if you want to keep selling 360s like hotcakes.

#3DarkTyrantXPosted 8/24/2011 1:34:46 PM
New console wont launch next fall,halo 4 is for 360. fall 2013 or 2014 at earliest.
#4TheArcadePosted 8/24/2011 1:46:44 PM
DarkTyrantX posted...
New console wont launch next fall,halo 4 is for 360. fall 2013 or 2014 at earliest.

This. Microsoft is going to stick to their 10 year staying plan. They made a billion dollars off the 360 just last year. That's it Microsoft, don't give into politics, take your time.
---
Phantom Miria, Rippling Ophelia, Teresa of the Faint Smile, Galatea.
#5BudWisenheimerPosted 8/24/2011 2:24:47 PM
DarkTyrantX posted...

Don't discount the opportunity to launch a new console with the first in a new trilogy from a franchise that sells LOTs of hardware. But yeah I'm not ignoring the possibility of waiting either.

TheArcade posted...
DarkTyrantX posted...

This. Microsoft is going to stick to their 10 year staying plan. They made a billion dollars off the 360 just last year. That's it Microsoft, don't give into politics, take your time.

The 10-year plan doesn't preclude an overlap with a new console (as you've agreed with above). Sony said the PS1 and PS2 had a 10-year plan. They did. And it didn't stop them from launching more consoles in the same window 5 years after.

Besides there will probably still be a steady stream of 360 sales even after the new console is released. Especially at a discounted price. The trick is just to shrink the window between when you announce the new console and the actual release date. That's when sales slow down. People wait to see the new price and launch line-up before buying now or waiting.

#6DarkTyrantXPosted 8/24/2011 2:31:05 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...
DarkTyrantX posted...

Don't discount the opportunity to launch a new console with the first in a new trilogy from a franchise that sells LOTs of hardware. But yeah I'm not ignoring the possibility of waiting either.

Actually that will be a bad move. To put out your biggest game right away when you will sell the next xbox regardless. Its better to have that in your pocket for a few years later. My bet is that they will do the same thing they did with xbox>xbox 360. Halo 4 will be the last huge title for 360 like Halo 2 was for XBOX and then the console release the next fall after that.
#7BudWisenheimerPosted 8/24/2011 2:40:42 PM
DarkTyrantX posted...
Actually that will be a bad move. To put out your biggest game right away when you will sell the next xbox regardless.

But in your fall 2013-2014 scenario won't Halo 5 be their biggest game? Or Gears 4? Now that Xbox is a proven product with a huge fan-base ... isn't there going to be a "biggest game" no matter when you launch?

We know that next-gen games have already been in development for a couple years. Why would Microsoft purposely extend the development cycle on those developers? They know their next console "will sell regardless" as you said.

#8DarkTyrantXPosted 8/24/2011 2:47:09 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...
DarkTyrantX posted...
Actually that will be a bad move. To put out your biggest game right away when you will sell the next xbox regardless.

But in your fall 2013-2014 scenario won't Halo 5 be their biggest game? Or Gears 4? Now that Xbox is a proven product with a huge fan-base ... isn't there going to be a "biggest game" no matter when you launch?

We know that next-gen games have already been in development for a couple years. Why would Microsoft purposely extend the development cycle on those developers? They know their next console "will sell regardless" as you said.

They can extend the cycle to make the game even more polished. Just watch and see that next fall there won't be the next xbox guaranteed.
#9CarcerCityHoodPosted 8/24/2011 2:51:01 PM
2013 or 2014 at the earliest? LOL
#10BudWisenheimerPosted 8/24/2011 2:59:45 PM
DarkTyrantX posted...
They can extend the cycle to make the game even more polished. Just watch and see that next fall there won't be the next xbox guaranteed.

Doesn't extending cycles unnecessarily increase the budget? That doesn't seem fair. And if I'm watching and seeing no new Xbox next Fall then I don't really need the guarantee. ; )

Or are you guaranteeing now? Bah! I guarantee there will be a new Xbox with the first game in the new Halo trilogy as a launch title. How do you like that?