This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

VGA or Component?

#1thelegendlives5Posted 8/25/2011 7:48:06 AM
So I have one of the older 360 models from 2007 and thank God its still alive and well. Anyway its a model that doesn't have HDMI so I have the component cable that came with the system and a VGA cable that I used to hook it to my monitor, but now I got an LCD TV recently so I can either use the component or VGA cable, so which one would give better picture quality?

Sound is not a problem as I use a headset anyway.

Thanks
#2MachineZedPosted 8/25/2011 7:54:08 AM
VGA is slightly better, but I highly doubt you will be able to tell the difference. Both are analog signals.
#3CapwnDPosted 8/25/2011 10:38:28 AM
Both are analog signals but VGA is going to give you the better picture with the exact resolution of your monitor.
---
I live in a constant state of Deja Vu. Didn't I mention this once before?
#4Mike_VanderzandPosted 8/25/2011 10:44:41 AM
VGA is so good.
---
Walshy knows I'm a BEAST, PROOF:http://youtu.be/_YJ_OTU3-EQ
Sub my channel: http://www.youtube.com/mikevanderzand
#5cup_a_soupPosted 8/25/2011 10:57:37 AM
VGA for sure. It's not even a case of slightly better, it's MUCH better - and on most 720p TV set's it's recommended over HDMI.
---
XBL Gamertag: segagamer
Need to boost online achievements in Burnout Revenge!
#6SpiritRoverPosted 8/25/2011 11:34:05 AM
I use VGA. For some odd reason, the VGA cable gives me better sound quality overall. And yes, there are many more resolution options available thru VGA over Component in the video settings.

Choose the res that's closest to your display's native resolution and set the Black Level to "Extended" for best results.
#7Killah PriestPosted 8/25/2011 11:35:32 AM
VGA, no question.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8MachineZedPosted 8/25/2011 12:00:04 PM
SpiritRover posted...
I use VGA. For some odd reason, the VGA cable gives me better sound quality overall. And yes, there are many more resolution options available thru VGA over Component in the video settings.

Choose the res that's closest to your display's native resolution and set the Black Level to "Extended" for best results.

VGA doesn't do Audio at all. The MS ones come with an RCA cable for the audio same as Component or Composite.
#9SpiritRoverPosted 8/26/2011 11:43:44 AM
MachineZed posted...

VGA doesn't do Audio at all. The MS ones come with an RCA cable for the audio same as Component or Composite.

Which is why I said "For some odd reason". You somehow missed that, even though you quoted it. Only HDMI carries video + audio together. Most people should know that.

I use DD5.1 via optical for my sound setup, not the provided white & red RCA audio cables. Theoretically, VGA still "shouldn't" give me any difference whatsoever on the audio front. Yet it does.
#10TwoNumbThumbsPosted 8/26/2011 11:46:32 AM
cup_a_soup posted...
VGA for sure. It's not even a case of slightly better, it's MUCH better - and on most 720p TV set's it's recommended over HDMI.

Vey interesting. Anyway I use VGA myself, on a 22" montior. I sometimes play on a 47" plasma with hdmi. It is sharper on the 47". No VGA input so I don't know if VGA is better than hdmi firsthand.
---
Forgive me. I have a bleeding heart for gaming.
It has become a PowerFAQs experience for me.