This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Deus Ex Related: Would you augment yourself if you could?

#1boolzeroPosted 8/26/2011 7:13:42 AM
Just wondering about the whole line of ethical and moral philosophies expressed on the subject that stem from the games conversations, it had me wondering what folks here on the Gamefaqs forums would think about such things.

By choice or necessity, if the technology were available as presented in the game, would you augment yourself? What would you augment, and why, and if you wouldn't, why not? With all the other conversations on mores, ethics and morality around here I just thought this might be a change of pace.

Just want to see where if anywhere, this conversation leads...
---
GT: Bool Zero / PSN: BoolZero / Wii:Who uses Wii codes, really?
#2GarlikBakeryPosted 8/26/2011 7:17:41 AM
Hell yea I would. More for security reasons. I'm a scronny dude, so having some augmentations for self defense would be great.
---
You are what you eat... That's why I'm human.
Owns: Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii
#3Dragon NexusPosted 8/26/2011 7:19:12 AM
I think a lot of people would do things like eye augmentation to see with greater clarity.

When it comes to replacing body parts though that's a whole other can of worms. Do you design to replace the missing part with equal functionality, or do you replace with the intent on improving?

Honestly, I don't think I'd want to change anything on myself, but that's me speaking with my current world view. If I lived in a world where it was normal and was brought up understanding it was normal my outlook would likely be different.

And if in the jobs market you'd be required to have some level of augmentation or be seen as too slow to complete your task efficiently, then really you'd have little choice.
I mean how would joe average manage to get a job as a secretary when in comes Captain Augment over here with his bionic hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkyZGZRnQb4
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#4SkynetAppleMacPosted 8/26/2011 7:43:11 AM
no, life is best when not tampered with.
#5GarlikBakeryPosted 8/26/2011 7:55:13 AM
SkynetAppleMac posted...
no, life is best when not tampered with.

Says the person with Skynet in their name...
---
You are what you eat... That's why I'm human.
Owns: Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii
#6SkynetAppleMacPosted 8/26/2011 7:57:41 AM
New Target. . .

GarlikBakery

TARGET AQUIRED
#7Citrate1007Posted 8/26/2011 8:01:13 AM
The augments would cost a fortune so you would either have to be insanely rich or finance the operation through a loan. What happens when you don't pay your loan? Do they take your arm/eye/heart back?
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#8Dragon NexusPosted 8/26/2011 8:30:09 AM

What happens when you don't pay your loan? Do they take your arm/eye/heart back?

They strap you to a chair in a library and program your augmented arm to rubber stamp books in and out all day.
---
"I don't know, it's an impossible choice...I just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me."
#9SocialAssassinPosted 8/26/2011 9:30:25 AM
If I could easily afford whatever augmentation(s) I want, then yes. I wouldn't go too overboard, though. Just some ocular, cranial and maybe a couple others. It'd be sweet.

---
Hoist the colours high!
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story.
#10drdweebPosted 8/26/2011 9:55:49 AM
Yes, If It helped me walk and hear again. I would jump at the chance (well I can't jump, but you get the idea).