This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Absolutely hated the ending to Red Dead Redemption (Massive Spoilers)

#1Dejuan18Posted 8/26/2011 9:21:05 PM
So I just finished the game (little late, I know), and I absolutely hated the ending. I read a lot stuff regarding the ending about how sad and great it was, but it was never spoiled for me. I may have had my hopes up too high or something, who knows.

For being such a character driven game with numerous cutscenes, the ending just felt extremely rushed. You get your wife and kid back, but you die within an after that. Then you move forward in time and you're suddenly Jack and see Abigal has died a couple years prior. With the whole game basically revolving around getting Abigal back, it felt really cheap to just have her randomly die off screen.

I also hated how they handle Bonnie. They re-introduce her later in the game to only have her just disappear again. The final scene of Bonnie is of her kicking the dirt. I though, "hey this could set up an interesting side story or jealousy." Nope. That's it for her.

Am I the only one who hated the ending?
---
When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies; then what value does that place on love? -Marilyn Manson
#2ShadowBaynePosted 8/26/2011 9:27:07 PM
I didn't like the game but I thought the ending was perfect. I'm a fan of the main character dying in almost anything that is if they die for what they believe in or trying to further a cause for the better I'm all for it which is what John was kind of like. Also, I bet you're not the only one who didn't like it.
---
Kevin Bacon's best movie would have to be a tie...between all of them.
Never saw it. Black and white films are for dogs - SirSquire
#3Arucard05Posted 8/26/2011 9:28:13 PM
I've seen a lot of negative reactions to both RDR and LA Noire's endings. I love them both. It's just how they had to end.
---
You should buy Beyond Good and Evil HD. Seriously, please?
#4Ginsu VictimPosted 8/26/2011 9:38:54 PM
RDR has my favorite ending for a video game ever, and I've been playing since the late 70s (before there even WERE endings!).
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#5nighthawk16Posted 8/26/2011 9:57:36 PM
It was the most fitting end for the character, and one that tied in perfectly with the themes of the game.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#6JDGFootman1234Posted 8/26/2011 10:03:34 PM
nighthawk16 posted...
It was the most fitting end for the character, and one that tied in perfectly with the themes of the game.

This. It was one of the greatest ending of any medium Ive ever seen. Just mind-blowing. The "true" ending was very emotional as well I thought.
---
I suppose you could never explain to the most ingenious mollusk that such a creature as a whale existed-Emerson
#7shawnmckPosted 8/26/2011 10:24:44 PM
It actually makes sense if you play RDR: Undead Nightmare.

SPOILERS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Undead Nightmare basically takes place some time during the main game. Once you beat the game, you can play as Undead John Marsten, which obviously takes place after the events of the main game.
How else would you be able to play as zombie John Marsten ?

I was a bit peeved about the ending too, as I thought he was an awesome character.
But then I played Undead Nightmare, and it made it all better.
:)
#8GrandTh3ftAutoPosted 8/27/2011 12:49:15 AM
If you haven't already, go to the train station in Black Water, there you will discover the real ending.
---
Gamertag: Zach The Zombie
Not changing sig until Adult Swim gets its own station. Started: 10-19-09
#9VonocourtPosted 8/27/2011 1:38:51 AM
Dejuan18 posted...

I also hated how they handle Bonnie. They re-introduce her later in the game to only have her just disappear again. The final scene of Bonnie is of her kicking the dirt. I though, "hey this could set up an interesting side story or jealousy." Nope. That's it for her.

And have a trashy love-triangle when it was only a one-sided relationship that never was shown to be more than a crush, yeah no. I thought it was a reserved and mature way to handle her character.
#10Dejuan18(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 6:39:11 AM
Yeah I completed the last hidden mission and saw the credits roll.

I don't know. I was perfectly fine with John dying. I didn't figure he'd make out alive anyways. I guess I was just a little annoyed at the fact I spent the entire game trying to get Abigal and Jack back, and then once I do, Abigal dies off screen within an hour and you just end up as Jack years later. I didn't really feel like you were able to spend enough time with them.

Overall, I still thought the game was great and definitely don't regret the hours I put into it, just thought the ending felt really rushed.
---
When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies; then what value does that place on love? -Marilyn Manson