This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox live subscription- Why?

#1Dr_AaronPosted 8/27/2011 1:33:32 PM
What does this pay for exactly? The only thing I can think of would be money to use to pay off developers/publishers to release "timed" or exclusive content for the 360 version of a mulit-platform game.

Oh and don't mention things like "party chat", this is a feature of the operating system and not a network service; it isn't on the PS3 because they're bad at optimizing/the RAM limitation is just too much.

Now: Download servers for game demos etc. No can do, Xbox Live Silver nullifies this anyway. So what you are paying for is online gaming... This doesn't take any bandwidth on Microsoft's part! In most (all?) cases you will use third party servers; and not all of these games are client/server based, many are p2p which is very minimal on the provider(just a matchmaking service). Regardless, they don't make you pay.

Nickel and dimeing! Because they can.
#2ATARIJAWAPosted 8/27/2011 1:47:47 PM
is it 2005 again?
---
Sigging yourself, sad or awesome?
-- SuperHappyBomb
#3EternalNetherPosted 8/27/2011 1:53:03 PM
Go away.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjx-9GYy1A
#4BigReedPosted 8/27/2011 1:54:17 PM
I gave the PSN multiple chances. Even tried to game with my buddy over the PSN, and he prefers Sony over every other hardware company.

Needless to say I'll gladly pay for a better service, and a better experience. That's why.
---
"..hardcore gamers like me for instance, who grew up on Halo.."
#5kingsteve1515Posted 8/27/2011 2:04:16 PM
Dr_Aaron posted...
What does this pay for exactly? The only thing I can think of would be money to use to pay off developers/publishers to release "timed" or exclusive content for the 360 version of a mulit-platform game.

Oh and don't mention things like "party chat", this is a feature of the operating system and not a network service; it isn't on the PS3 because they're bad at optimizing/the RAM limitation is just too much.

Now: Download servers for game demos etc. No can do, Xbox Live Silver nullifies this anyway. So what you are paying for is online gaming... This doesn't take any bandwidth on Microsoft's part! In most (all?) cases you will use third party servers; and not all of these games are client/server based, many are p2p which is very minimal on the provider(just a matchmaking service). Regardless, they don't make you pay.

Nickel and dimeing! Because they can.

I think we've had this topic more than any other combined.

What do we pay for - Nothing really. Everything included is something we can get elsewhere for free (netflix, facebook, twitter, online gaming, etc)

Why do we pay - Because we want to use the services even though it costs $50 a year. Because we want to play games online, watch netflix on xbox, etc.

Why do we have to pay - Because people are willing to pay, MS is going to monetize the service.
---
GT: edgehead2008, PSN: ThinBlueLine8008
CM PUNK
#6OmegaBladesPosted 8/27/2011 2:10:38 PM
To actually answer your question, the reason why here is a price for the service is because of the fact xbox DOES host the servers for EVERY game that's on the xbox 360 console besides EA titles. The reason EA was because EA didn't like that idea at all, so they release games that had no online features on xbox titles back in the previous generation. MS and EA eventually made a deal to allow EA servers to be used on xbox live...just before 360 came out.

The money goes to mainenace of the server and trying to make it better, since they do all the hosting of games that gets on xbox live and voice chatting originally, then add a marketplace to get dlc, then adding party chat, netflix, ESPN, and zune on top of all of that, then you see why it costs so much. But the big bulk of it goes to maintaining servers for all their online games that are not EA. Playstation network is free because of the fact that the publishers are the ones maintaining their games, not playstation network.
---
PSN & XBL Tag: OmegaBlades
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1408-2462
#7Dr_Aaron(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 2:45:58 PM
OmegaBlades posted...
To actually answer your question, the reason why here is a price for the service is because of the fact xbox DOES host the servers for EVERY game that's on the xbox 360 console besides EA titles. The reason EA was because EA didn't like that idea at all

Source request.

And something I forgot to mention, why do we have to pay the subscription if there is DLC and the likes that isn't free? Why not make one or the other free?
#8Cave_LionPosted 8/27/2011 2:54:31 PM
DLC has varied pricing and is not controlled by MS. People would rather pay for a good service that doesn't really cost that much i mean it's peanuts when you consider how much money it is. I spend more on chewing gum a year.
---
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/213514/xenobladelol.gif
#9Dr_Aaron(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 3:00:11 PM
^^

Why not just take a small cut of DLC profit? Also, I fail to see how the service is in anyway better to competitors in which continuous income is a requirement for quality. Server costs are peanuts as well, we could pay $1 per year for a subscription and they would still be well in excess of profit.
#10godplaysSNESPosted 8/27/2011 3:27:51 PM(edited)
The majority of the games use peer to peer, Microsoft doesn't provide dedicated servers for all games...

PSN however has many games with dedicated servers, and isn't pay to play

If looking at the PC side, Steam is easily leagues above Live, and isn't pay to play ...

People pay for Live because they are too unwise to do otherwise

What pisses me off the most personally with Live though is that it isn't one subscription for the console, it is a subscription for one GT only(but ironically, all DLC is bound to the console and not the GT!)...
Some games can have a guest playing online with you, but for those that don't, it's crap when you want play online with a friend, or want to have different GTs for others you play with
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!