This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone play Kengo?

#1Four SkullsPosted 8/28/2011 7:19:50 PM
Kengo, Legend of the 9

I bought the game a year or so ago for like 10$. Played it and couldn't get through the first stage. I finally found a control guide and managed to beat it with several characters. However the online mode is rather humiliating (I get to rank 1700 then the game beats me back to 8700), and there seems to be no guides or anything. Has anyone played this enough to give some tips? The board here is dead dead.
#2electrolyzerPosted 8/28/2011 7:43:31 PM
I actually have this but just like you I played it and couldn't get through the first stage.
---
Gamertag : xXThoraxeXx
#3Four Skulls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 7:59:41 PM
Mainly my gripe is that in playing the "multiplayer" it seems like the game is deliberately trying to piss me off. My character got to the rank of 17XX once. ONCE. I've been lucky to get up into the 2000's (out of 8071 characters) since then. I got the 30 wins for the achievement...but can't get the 25% to get the 7th dan achievement.

It's frustrating knowing my character could get me the achievement if he just got lucky. For extra hilarity, I named him Bloodymess.
#4liquidblue4Posted 8/28/2011 8:49:28 PM
im going to assume that you know that your character online is based on how you played through the game with him and the skills and combos you acquired.
so either practice and play well, block and guard everything and make a beast... or...
spam some super cheap attack and the AI will abuse it online.
this is basically how every single Kojiro player plays.
---
GT: Liquidbiue4
PSN: Liquidblue4
#5Four Skulls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 5:57:43 AM
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately I played through the game using the Push Attack, to get more points to unlock more moves. Unfortunately, thats one of the easiest things to train your AI to defend against. I just think there's something funny in how the #1 AI does nothing but guards, and instant kills you. He instant killed my character 4 times in a row, the same way every time. How do you program it to do that? I can't see playing through the game like that. I kind of wish there was another mode or something to further train your character.

Oh well, I got 7th Dan, I think that's as far as I'm going to go on the online mode. It's too much of a luck based game.
#6Four Skulls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 5:41:50 PM
There has to be something to this game. I made a Okita Soji that just uses BBB and got to the rank of 1009 on the Ranked matches. All I wanted to do for the night was get under rank 1000. As soon as I got 1009, I get a godly opponent that boots me back down to 1200. Then I stayed around there for 15 minutes sliding back and forth on the ranks, then fell to 1500~2000, and stayed there for around 45 minutes. I still haven't gotten close to 1000 again. It's like the game said "only once" and decided to beat me down. Furthermore to get the next achievement f or wins, I have to get down below rank 871. The funny thing is I did a practice match against the 10th ranked player in the world, and beat him.

At least I've unlocked two masks.
#7liquidblue4Posted 8/29/2011 5:57:05 PM
yeah, it's all pretty random when it comes to the online component of the game.
just hope for the best and stick with it if you really want the achievements.
---
GT: Liquidbiue4
PSN: Liquidblue4
#8Killah PriestPosted 8/29/2011 6:42:14 PM
MP is quite addicting at first but eventually you'll just get mad that your guy does really stupid things that are almost totally opposite of how he/she was "built"

there were a lot of MP tips on the xbox.com forums surprisingly, dunno if its still around
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#9Four Skulls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2011 7:02:45 PM
I looked at the Xbox forums, but didn't see anything. I'll go later and check it out again.

The problem seems to be whenever I hit a Kojiro/Mushashi/Soji...other Soji's seem to be a problem because they all do pretty much the same thing I did, so it just comes down to who dies first. I did finally get 8th Dan, and made it down to rank 622 before I got beat back up to the 900's. I dunno if I'll go any further...to get the 50 win achievement I have to get into the top 5% which is going to be difficult. I'm kind of happy to be in the top 10%.

The only reason I'm playing this at all is I was tired of having it in my achievement list and not having anything for it. I figured as soon as I hit 500pts in it, I'll quit. Maybe play Tropico 3 some more.
#10Killah PriestPosted 8/29/2011 9:38:01 PM
I had the best results using the female character and just spamming attacks then doing one of the delay attacks which allowed you to spam more attacks with almost no penalty.

but the leaderboards were sabotaged and on top of it the randomness of your AI... its just not worth caring that much.

still its pretty epic to mess around with it... something really exciting about watching an AI that you've made fight instead of actually doing it yourself.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.