This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the best way to clean/fix discs?

#1mab2815Posted 8/30/2011 6:06:48 PM
I have have Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for the ps2 and it has a lot of small scratches every where on the disc. I have been wanting to play the game because it is one of my all time favorite GTA game. The game will load but I can only play for less than a minute because it will freeze. Is there any way I can fix this or should I buy another one. Sorry for the wrong board post but the ps2 board is dead so I rather post in here. Thanks
---
XBL Gt: xMABz, GAMELOFT LIVE ID: xmabz, GAMECENTER ID: xmabz
#2Mindwipe77Posted 8/30/2011 6:08:31 PM
buy disc cleaner/skip fixer
---
Now Playing-Veneticai(360), Popful Mail(Sega CD)
Buying Soon-Dead Island 360
#3MegaCyber09Posted 8/30/2011 6:10:56 PM
Take it to Blockbuster to fix it.
---
XBL Gamertag: CyberGTX09
"Life is the life of life." - Unknown
#4DarkTyrantXPosted 8/30/2011 6:11:53 PM
those disk fixers are bs,once a disk is scratched its over. if it doesn't work because of a scratch its done.
#5Gary StantonPosted 8/30/2011 6:39:54 PM
Seriously, what I do, is sprinkle some drops of water onto the bottom of disc, take a cloth and wipe in one single direction until it's dry.
---
"War as a video game; what better way to raise the ultimate soldier?" - Solid Snake
#6TrugamerPosted 8/30/2011 6:45:20 PM
I have used disc doctors and had ok results but if I were you and the game was still loadable I would try and intall it.
#7Bojangles4lifePosted 8/30/2011 8:28:34 PM
Lots of smaller shops that sell used dvd, games or music cds tend to have a industrial disk "fixer" which can rub off every layer until the scratch is gone but they usually charge you. The shop near my house only charges a dollar per disk.
#8Koelker12Posted 8/30/2011 8:40:23 PM
Dude, listen here; I swear this works.

I had an Arkham Asylum disc with a perfect ring scratch from the Xbox. The thing wouldn't even be recognized as a game by the reader whenever I stuck the game in. I tried the toothpaste trick, since it's a mild abrasive if you get the right kind, (like some plain white Colgate), but it didn't do anything after three scrubs. I figure for really small scratches it might work, but they're so small that the disc is probably readable anyways.

But anyway, I had some Brasso on hand, which is a metal polish. I'm sure you can get it at Walmart or something. Get a soft cloth, (I used an old t-shirt), and put a bit on the disc. Then using the cloth, rub the hell out of thing. Don't go side to side, but up and down. From the center of the disc to the edge. It's going to scratch out the big scratches with tons of little scratches, so don't expect the thing to look brand new when you done. Rub until the scratches are minimal, and you should be doing it hard enough to be generating some heat.

Afterward, get all the excess polish off. If you have a bit of plastic polish, or car wax, (something like that to take out fine scratches) you can use some of that too. It only took me one try, and the disc now plays flawlessly. Doesn't look the prettiest, but it works and I played the game all the way through.

The scratches you made don't affect the game because they are up/down. The disc is read in a spinning motion, (sideways), and that's why scratches moving in the same direction deflect the laser and cause it to be unreadable.

Hope this helps. If you are unsure about it and worried about damaging your disc further, try it on another scratched disc that you don't care so much about losing.
---
http://roguereview.blogspot.com/
#9Ginsu VictimPosted 8/30/2011 8:45:46 PM
DarkTyrantX posted...
those disk fixers are bs,once a disk is scratched its over. if it doesn't work because of a scratch its done.

At Hastings, we have an industrial unit that does a damn fine job. We charge $1.99 per disc repair, and unless it's a really deep scratch, we can fix it.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)