This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One thing I don't miss about last gen...

#1oasisbeyondPosted 9/2/2011 12:36:05 PM
Terrible Frame Rates. Nearly every game runs perfectly smooth today at 30 to 60 fps.

I got NFS Underground and Medal Of Honor Frontline on ps2 for 2$... And let's just say it wasn't worth it in the end. They run at 15 to 25 max fps, they are basically impossible to play. Don't know how they got high reviews. At least Xbox 1 games ran pretty good overall.

What don't you miss from last gen?
#2CyricsServantPosted 9/2/2011 12:43:02 PM
Bad frame rates, eh? I recommend you don't play Two Worlds 2 then.

I just beat it last night. The screen tore constantly, including when I was looking at my in-game map, and while I was watching the credits... Good game though. :)

I don't miss memory cards, that's for sure. I also like that I don't have to cross my fingers and pray I don't hit a game-ending bug anymore. Patching has done more good than harm.
#3jonoabboPosted 9/2/2011 12:44:05 PM
i had both of those games for ps2, they ran perfectley, and were excellent games
---
B/W - Name: Jono FC: 3396-5594-3355
www.youtube.com/Jonoabbo111
#4ShadowBaynePosted 9/2/2011 12:54:47 PM
I didn't own them but I rented them frequently back then and they did not have bad framerates.
---
Kevin Bacon's best movie would have to be a tie...between all of them.
Never saw it. Black and white films are for dogs - SirSquire
#5old_school227Posted 9/2/2011 12:55:43 PM
Funny because i was playing Timesplitters 3 and unreal championship yesterday and they both run at a smooth 60 FPS
---
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p42/keon227/jackiechan_chunlee.gif
#6DahlVaughnniPosted 9/2/2011 1:32:28 PM
I don't miss the horrible jaggies on the ps2. Thankfully gamecube didn't have that issue.
---
Gamertag & PSN: Archlvt
FFCC: EOT FC - 0261 0047 8986
#7oasisbeyond(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2011 1:34:34 PM
Play them now... you'll see what I mean. We were use to the terrible frames.
It's not like I'm making this up lol. I have them both. Heck ign even mentions in their review of moh f, he complaints how come the ps2 can't run games at 60 fps lol.

Only Timesplitters ran at 60, but it looked like a n64 game. hehe.
#8ChiliPupPosted 9/2/2011 1:35:45 PM
It's important to note that some people do not perceive framerate as much as others. 15 to 25 frames per second may play just fine to some people, so it may be no big deal to them at all. Others may have a more discerning eye, and they may notice things like framerates and such. Is framerate important? Well, yes and no.

A game doesn't need a ridiculous framerate to be playable. Some may claim that to be the case, but it's simply not true. FPS can dip slightly below 30 and still not affect gameplay in the least. It won't look as butter smooth, but in reality, that's just aesthetics. Anyone who says they "can't aim" at 30fps is just being a baby. We've done it for years, there's no reason we can't still do it.

We like 60+ fps, because it looks good. And there is nothing wrong with that. We like modern graphics in our games too. Again, because it looks good. Games don't "need" either of those things to be playable and enjoyable. But it's okay to "like" them. Just don't confuse "like" with "need".

As to TC's original point, it's fine and dandy to relish in higher framerates this gen. But as to the statement of 15-25 fps being "unplayable"... um... no. An entire generation of gamers who grew up with Atari 2600, NES, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc... would ever so slightly disagree. :)

...Actually, they would disagree quite loudly.

---
---
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#9oasisbeyond(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2011 1:39:58 PM
^ Maybe you are right...

I play nhl 07, and it's like so choppy. Maybe it's from gaming since the age of 3 till now lol.
That game ran at 30, but man is it choopy, it's makes my head feel wierd actually.

Try it out, play 08 then 07, you'll feel wierd lol. It's hard to explain.