This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Xbox makes a weird buzzing noise now...

#11TheUsed91BCR(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 4:11:33 PM
Ah. Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, mine is laying horizontal. I'm so glad it's not something inside it that would be an issue!

I thought for sure Microsoft was trying to sabotage me
---
"There is no I in team, but there is a me in team. If you jumble up the letters."
#12Killah PriestPosted 9/9/2011 4:12:30 PM
mine doesn't buzz but I can tell you that I had an old one that had a loud fan, have a ps3 with a jet engine fan, and a gaming PC with a super super loud fan, an AC unit thats loud as hell.. my television buzzes...

background noises are the norm.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#13Omega_BlackPosted 9/9/2011 4:36:34 PM
Killah Priest posted...
mine doesn't buzz but I can tell you that I had an old one that had a loud fan, have a ps3 with a jet engine fan, and a gaming PC with a super super loud fan, an AC unit thats loud as hell.. my television buzzes...

background noises are the norm.

Of course they're the norm.

The issue here, however, is abnormal background noise like the one reported 360 slims make.

I have always maintained that the design of the 360 slim's casing/chassis and the vibration from running certain disc-based games causes an unacceptable amount of noise.

One should be able to play disc-based games with tolerable background noise levels and, for most games, that holds true.

But for the seemingly random assortment of games where the noise levels reaches that intolerable level (loud buzzing that drowns out TV volume), the solution should not simply be to install the game.

Yet that is where Microsoft currently stands, so we must adapt.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#14Killah PriestPosted 9/9/2011 5:20:07 PM(edited)
its not abnormal background noise its normal noise due to fan or disc spinning vibrations.

also I have one game that works like you describe, if I put in one of my copies of lost planet colonies it vibrates excessively, very loud.

I happen to have two copies tho and the other copy does not do this, clearly the disc was flawed probably slightly warped or unevenly weighted.
---
#15beautifuldreamsPosted 9/9/2011 8:29:15 PM
my odst disk makes the buzz too, but my slim power brick drowns out the buzz and tv/sound already anyway
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#16Omega_BlackPosted 9/9/2011 9:09:44 PM
Killah Priest posted...
its not abnormal background noise its normal noise due to fan or disc spinning vibrations.

also I have one game that works like you describe, if I put in one of my copies of lost planet colonies it vibrates excessively, very loud.

I happen to have two copies tho and the other copy does not do this, clearly the disc was flawed probably slightly warped or unevenly weighted.

Toh-may-toe. Toh-mah-toe.

As expected, the level of tolerance for this hardware issue/quirk/etc. is entirely subjective. For me, such a noise is intolerable, abnormal, and a sign of an inherent design flaw of the console.

For you, the same noise is undoubtedly loud but still well within parameters for normal operation.

Neither one of us will convince the other to change their perspective. So I suggest we simply agree to disagree and leave it at that, now and here on.
---
#17Killah PriestPosted 9/10/2011 12:22:30 AM
I'm correct and you're being anal/petty, thats the only thing I'll agree on.

and anyone that considers buzz an "issue" is petty, and when you say its louder than your television you either are exaggerating or you have some issues with attention.
---
#18Omega_BlackPosted 9/10/2011 1:56:06 AM
Killah Priest posted...
I'm correct and you're being anal/petty, thats the only thing I'll agree on.

How can you be correct about something as subjective as noise level tolerance on an individual basis?

That is petty and you being a hypocrite.

and anyone that considers buzz an "issue" is petty...

I extend an olive branch. You whip me with it.

Again, you are a hypocrite.

...and when you say its louder than your television you either are exaggerating or you have some issues with attention.

No exaggeration, I assure you.

My slim 360 is located in a smaller bedroom, connected to a smaller HDTV and outputs its sound solely through the stock speakers. Even with the volume turned to a reasonably high level (I have others in the house to consider, mind you), the buzzing is still very noticeable.

Of course, you did not ask for this information because you already know everything there is to know about my setup, the acoustics of the room, and my tolerance level for abnormal background noise.

Hell, you may have even discovered an undiagnosed attention deficit!

Next, I want you to tell me what I will have for breakfast this morning and when I will take my next bowel movement. The uncertainty is gnawing at me.
---