This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many game updates can you have at one time?

#1Dillon360Posted 9/8/2011 11:17:14 PM
I always thought that you could only have 5 games updated at a time, but apparently it's more than that.

Does anybody know FOR SURE just how many games you can have updated?

This would really help me out ALOT.

Thanks
---
All it takes to be a superhero is the choice to FIGHT EVIL
#2RenamonPosted 9/8/2011 11:41:27 PM
I've heard anywhere from 5 to 20.

Why does it matter though?
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#3knightimexPosted 9/9/2011 12:09:25 AM
Renamon posted...
I've heard anywhere from 5 to 20.

Why does it matter though?

too many updates will start to force you to update every freakin time you play a game
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#4FustmonkeyPosted 9/9/2011 12:22:20 AM(edited)

too many updates will start to force you to update every freakin time you play a game

No... just... ugh.

What we don't need is rumors and fake claims about an issue in which there is no clear answer. What you are talking about is a problem that is solved with about 3 buttton presses ; clear the cache and that problem is gone. It has nothing to do with too many updates. I have approx 150 games and I only ran into this problem once and it happened to be after some exposure to Rock Band and Guitar Hero, which seem to be some of the most problematic games in this issue. Clearing the cache fixes that problem and gets rid of corrupt downloads and corrupt updates.

Dillon360 I've never seen a clear answer as to whether it's the number of updates or a limit on the amount of space that the updates take up, and to further complicate the matter newer games store the updates on the HDD along with the gamesaves, and you can view this by browsing the HDD from the 360 settings. This isn't the case with older games. What Renamon said matches what I've heard too.

The most accurate and plausible answer I've seen was from tests that Decayed Matter did a few years ago, and IIRC he said that it seemed to be about 12, but that's not an exact number, I'm just going off of memory and it seems to coincide with my own experiences, being that I have about 150 games and I go back and play old games occasionally.
---
Fix your NAT: http://www.freewebs.com/haximo/ports.htm
#5knightimexPosted 9/9/2011 12:55:45 AM(edited)
fustmonkey posted...
No... just... ugh.

What we don't need is rumors and fake claims about an issue in which there is no clear answer. What you are talking about is a problem that is solved with about 3 buttton presses ; clear the cache and that problem is gone. It has nothing to do with too many updates. I have approx 150 games and I only ran into this problem once and it happened to be after some exposure to Rock Band and Guitar Hero, which seem to be some of the most problematic games in this issue. Clearing the cache fixes that problem and gets rid of corrupt downloads and corrupt updates.

Dillon360 I've never seen a clear answer as to whether it's the number of updates or a limit on the amount of space that the updates take up, and to further complicate the matter newer games store the updates on the HDD along with the gamesaves, and you can view this by browsing the HDD from the 360 settings. This isn't the case with older games. What Renamon said matches what I've heard too.

The most accurate and plausible answer I've seen was from tests that Decayed Matter did a few years ago, and IIRC he said that it seemed to be about 12, but that's not an exact number, I'm just going off of memory and it seems to coincide with my own experiences, being that I have about 150 games and I go back and play old games occasionally.

clear cache = re-download update for every game you decide to play there after all over again.

I had to clear cache 7 times over already
it's getting old.
with a 250gig hard drive they need to include a patch to up the cache space.
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm a graphics whore in denial.
#6Dillon360(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 1:25:24 AM
The reason why I was wondering this, is because you HAVE to have certain games updated to play certain DLC OFFLINE.

For instance:

-Ninja Gaiden 2 (Mission Mode)
-Splinter Cell Conviction (Deniable Ops levels)
-Bulletstorm (Echoes levels)
-Left 4Dead 2 (More campaign levels)
-Brink (More levels and new equipment)
-Mortal Kombat (DLC characters)

& much more

And sometimes I bring my 360 over to a friends house so we can play together. And I just HATE IT when I can't play all of DLC that you see above because they weren't the last couple of games that I updated! I bought the DLC already! Why shouldn't I get to play them? It's unfair!

Not only that, but I realise that the 360 only has 2-3 years left of life in it. So over the next couple of years, I will be making the ultimate single player collection, with all of my favorite DLC.

And if I can only update 8 games at a time, I am going to have to update the 8 games with my FAVORITE DLC before I go offline for good. So I'm going to have prioritize my favorite DLC and which ones I should keep over the others...

I already named you guys 6 games with DLC that I really enjoy. And if there's only 6 updates at a time, will that mean that I will never be able to play Gears 3 DLC offline? Or even Batman Arkham City Combat missions? I sure as heck don't want to lose out on those! Which means I'll have to pick the worst DLC of the 6 I listed, and delete it for the Gears 3, Batman DLC. So Brink would probably would probably be the first DLC I would take out...

And not only that, but we all know that more and more DLC will come out for newer games so I will have to KEEP deleting the worst DLC of the bunch for newer and better DLC.... WHICH SUCKS!!! CUZ I WANT TO BE ABLE PLAY ALL OF MY DLC OFFLINE!!!

But I won't be able to... So I really REALLY need to find out how much updates you can have at a time... I'll be very happy if it was 12 because that would mean I have 6 more slots for DLC updates so I can play the DLC OFFLINE. But if it's 6, then I need to figure out which DLC I can most live without, in order to make room for Gears 3, Batman and Modern Warfare 3 DLC.

SORRY for making that so long and hopefully what I typed made sense.
---
#7FustmonkeyPosted 9/9/2011 2:10:13 AM

The reason why I was wondering this, is because you HAVE to have certain games updated to play certain DLC OFFLINE.

For instance:

-Ninja Gaiden 2 (Mission Mode)
-Splinter Cell Conviction (Deniable Ops levels)
-Bulletstorm (Echoes levels)
-Left 4Dead 2 (More campaign levels)
-Brink (More levels and new equipment)
-Mortal Kombat (DLC characters)

& much more

And sometimes I bring my 360 over to a friends house so we can play together. And I just HATE IT when I can't play all of DLC that you see above because they weren't the last couple of games that I updated! I bought the DLC already! Why shouldn't I get to play them? It's unfair!

Not only that, but I realise that the 360 only has 2-3 years left of life in it. So over the next couple of years, I will be making the ultimate single player collection, with all of my favorite DLC.

And if I can only update 8 games at a time, I am going to have to update the 8 games with my FAVORITE DLC before I go offline for good. So I'm going to have prioritize my favorite DLC and which ones I should keep over the others...

I already named you guys 6 games with DLC that I really enjoy. And if there's only 6 updates at a time, will that mean that I will never be able to play Gears 3 DLC offline? Or even Batman Arkham City Combat missions? I sure as heck don't want to lose out on those! Which means I'll have to pick the worst DLC of the 6 I listed, and delete it for the Gears 3, Batman DLC. So Brink would probably would probably be the first DLC I would take out...

And not only that, but we all know that more and more DLC will come out for newer games so I will have to KEEP deleting the worst DLC of the bunch for newer and better DLC.... WHICH SUCKS!!! CUZ I WANT TO BE ABLE PLAY ALL OF MY DLC OFFLINE!!!

But I won't be able to... So I really REALLY need to find out how much updates you can have at a time... I'll be very happy if it was 12 because that would mean I have 6 more slots for DLC updates so I can play the DLC OFFLINE. But if it's 6, then I need to figure out which DLC I can most live without, in order to make room for Gears 3, Batman and Modern Warfare 3 DLC.

SORRY for making that so long and hopefully what I typed made sense.

You're talking about two different things.

What you need to do is a license transfer so that you can play your DLC offline. you can do this from the dashboard or from Xbox.com.

Now there may be a handful of games that require you to have some update or else the gamesave will be corrupt but I don't believe you named any of them.

clear cache = re-download update for every game you decide to play there after all over again.

I had to clear cache 7 times over already
it's getting old.
with a 250gig hard drive they need to include a patch to up the cache space.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong.
---
#8Dillon360(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 2:22:12 AM
What is a license transfer and why would it help me?

And I don't believe I was talking about 2 different things.

I want to know how many updates you can have at one time so I can make sure that I will be able to play ALL of my DLC OFFLINE...
---
#9FustmonkeyPosted 9/9/2011 2:42:27 AM(edited)

What is a license transfer and why would it help me?

A license transfer lets you use your DLC offline. When you buy DLC (or download free DLC) it is associated to the GT that purchased or unlocked it, and to the console you were logged into when you purchased or unlocked it. If you had a repair or changed consoles, or if you take your HDD to another console you can't play that DLC offline. If you do choose to take your HDD to your friends house and play the DLC, you will need to be logged into XBL on his console to play it.

The alternative would be to transfer the licenses to his console. If you do transfer the licenses to his console, you will need to be logged into XBL to play the DLC when you are at home on your console. Or to make things simpler, transfer the licenses to your own console and take your whole console to your friends house if you're going to play offline.

game updates don't have anything to do with that. You are talking about two different things. Game updates do not make DLC playable offline.

And I don't believe I was talking about 2 different things.

OK well you need to either listen to me, learn it yourself, or don't believe me and you'll never know the truth!

I want to know how many updates you can have at one time so I can make sure that I will be able to play ALL of my DLC OFFLINE...

I now understand what you want to know, and I gave you the answer! : )

I was hoping this was really a topic about game updates though. That's more of an unknown issue than this.
---
#10Dillon360(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 2:54:06 AM
OK. Thanks for helping me out but I have a few more questions....

How EXACTLY, step by step, do I do a license transfer?

Do I have to do the license transfer EVERY time I download new DLC?

And say I do the license transfer, and a couple weeks later, my 360 dies... If I buy a simple arcade 360 can I just plug in my Hard Drive and play my DLC OFFLINE? Or do I need to do another license transfer?

If you could help me ONE MORE TIME I would really appreciate it.

=)
---