This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

720p vs 1360x768 (Native Resolution)

#1MR_SorenPosted 9/9/2011 5:44:45 AM
Hello!

I recently replaced my old CRT television with a new 720p tv from Samsung.

The 360 automatically displayed 1360x768 signal, but the colors are a bit dull. I went into display settings and switched to 720p. The colors look better this way.

I've often heard that you do not want the TV to do any unnecessary processing of the video signal because it adds frames of lag to a game. That must be kept to a minimum because I play a lot of time-intensive games. (Shoot-em-ups, fighting games, rhythm games, etc)

Anyway, what is better:
720p output from the Xbox forcing the TV to resize.
1360x768 output from the Xbox with worse colors, but the TV does not have to resize.

Any suggestions on the color situation?
---
My Collection:
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&lid=100018&owner=rcarello&mode=vown
#2FoppePosted 9/9/2011 6:28:13 AM
Use whatever YOU think look the best.
Try some games in 720p. If you have no problems with it, then keep it.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3TantrumBullPosted 9/9/2011 6:36:27 AM
Change the HDMI color space option to YCbCr709 when you use the native resolution.
---
I was supposed to use a pendulum to knock over a tower in Sonic '06 but I had Silver use a wooden box instead and it came down as though a missile hit it.
#4MR_Soren(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2011 7:09:38 AM
Foppe posted...
Use whatever YOU think look the best.
Try some games in 720p. If you have no problems with it, then keep it.

I'm more concerned about input lag than looks.

Change the HDMI color space option to YCbCr709 when you use the native resolution.

Thank you! I'll try it tonight!
---
My Collection:
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?&lid=100018&owner=rcarello&mode=vown
#5FoppePosted 9/9/2011 7:26:48 AM
I told you to play some games, that way you will feel if you get some input lag or not.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#6the36thchamberPosted 9/9/2011 9:12:52 AM
also turn off special features stuff like dynamic contrast,noise reduction,dynamic color,etc they add input lag and dont give you as good a picture
---
Bayonetta,GOW2,MK,RE5,Vanquish
GT-xNinjaScrollx
#7Hucast9Posted 9/9/2011 10:14:05 AM
MR_Soren posted...
Hello!

I recently replaced my old CRT television with a new 720p tv from Samsung.

The 360 automatically displayed 1360x768 signal, but the colors are a bit dull. I went into display settings and switched to 720p. The colors look better this way.

I've often heard that you do not want the TV to do any unnecessary processing of the video signal because it adds frames of lag to a game. That must be kept to a minimum because I play a lot of time-intensive games. (Shoot-em-ups, fighting games, rhythm games, etc)

Anyway, what is better:
720p output from the Xbox forcing the TV to resize.
1360x768 output from the Xbox with worse colors, but the TV does not have to resize.

Any suggestions on the color situation?

Same thing here. Mass Effect 2 looks darker on my tv when the 360 is set to output 1366X768. Accordng to my tv's manual, the display is 1368X768. I just set everything to 720p due to this issue.
#8popping4itPosted 9/9/2011 10:25:18 AM
this is because on 720p the samsung display switches to broadcast mode which calibrates the picture to work best with tv inputs. at 1360x768 the samsung switches to PC resolution so it would display as if it were a monitor.

tv broadcast tend to favor over saturation with sharpening which looks terrible for games. but if you think it looks better go ahead and stick with that. 720p mode removes overscan and scales the picture worse.
---
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.
#9_SCOTSLADPosted 9/9/2011 11:42:15 AM
You can get rid of the 'washed' look from running @ 1360 x 768 by simply calibrating the TV and change a few things on the xbox.

I am on my second Samsung first was a 720 set now I have a 1080 set, but I prefer to use the VGA cable running my tv's native of 1080 ( or the 1360 on the old ).

I found lots of help on the avs forums while the calibration settings was spot on for them a tweek here and there fixed my tv.

Most xbox games are quite dark but a simple tweek of the in game gamma will correct this even with Mass Effect.
---
Better meddle wi' the De'il than the Bairns of Falkirk.
#10iceman505Posted 9/9/2011 11:46:25 AM
You can get rid of the 'washed' look from running @ 1360 x 768 by simply calibrating the TV

If his Samsung is anything like my old 720p Samung, he can't change a damn thing to really make the picture look better while in PC mode. It looks terrible. And 720p overscanned even in Just Scan, well, for obvious reasons. I ended up just using 1080p, with game mode on. Which I found a way to alter it's settings in the service menu, to look half decent. Samsung's are horrible TV's for gaming, flat out.
---
RIP Red Faction 2001-2011.